Vehicle Insurance

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Vehicle Insurance

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Vehicle Insurance

Tagged: 

• Vehicle Insurance

• B B

August 11, 2021 at 7:38 am

I’m in Colorado US and am wondering which insurance companies might carry coverage for something like this?

• Gabe Kemeny

August 11, 2021 at 8:00 am

Since Progressive was one of the sponsors of the Solar Challenge during the Aptera 2e era, they might.

• Raj Giandeep

August 11, 2021 at 8:52 am

I just called Progressive. Currently have insurance with them. They said no issues with a 3 wheeler. It’s considered a motorcycle as far a insurance & would usually be less than a auto.

Once it’s in production & the info is passed to the insurance companies, we can get realistic quotes.

• B B

August 11, 2021 at 9:10 am

Thanks for making the call Raj, that’s great news! I’m on Farmers now. Perhaps I’ll give them a call, can’t imagine an older company would be as progressive as… Progressive.

• Raj Giandeep

August 11, 2021 at 9:21 am

I’d imagine if an insurance provider does motorcycle insurance. They would cover Aptera.

• Michael May

August 11, 2021 at 9:32 am

My Allstate agent basically told me the same thing. The only thing he added (and this was only speculation on his part), is that Allstate might require the driver to have a motorcycle license since it’s considered a motorcycle for insurance purposes.

• B B

August 11, 2021 at 12:52 pm

OK so Farmers will NOT cover the Aptera and their sister company that covers strange motorcycles and other vehicles, which had never heard of Aptera, said they need to meet and discuss the vehicle and are not sure they will cover it. Interesting.

• Raj Giandeep

August 11, 2021 at 1:20 pm

I called progressive back & specially mentioned Aptera. What it is, etc. That production units will be out in 2022. They said: They would NOT insure them at this time … (after a long hold time).

Umm what, lol. I think it might be wise for Aptera to reach out to the insurance companies about this directly. Think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Once the first production unit is out, we can call the insurance companies again.

• John Malcom

August 11, 2021 at 3:04 pm

No major insurance company will insure any vehicle until they have completed a risk assessment on it which requires a lot of data on the vehicle to include the results of safety and other testing. They assess the probability of a chargeable accident and the cost of repairs in the context of the geographical location of the vehicle. If a new vehicle with little or no historical data, the rates will be high.

Some one off insurance companies that specialize in insuring kit or replica cars will insure but rates will be higher than mainstream cars.

We need to wait until a production ready Aptera is available and specs and testing data is furnished to insurance companies.

I am sure Aptera management is aware of this and the steps needed are incorporated in their schedule for delivery vehicles

• B B

August 11, 2021 at 3:15 pm

When I worked in the extended warranty business we used a company called Polk for all of our vehicle data. We used a huge data file that helped us to determine how much we should charge a customer for our product. I’m sure once it starts showing up in Polk and other data providers it’ll go through its normal actuary processes. The thing is that Farmers outright said they would never cover something like that, which is just something to think about for us.

• Dan Roberts

August 11, 2021 at 6:27 pm

Aptera should start their own insurance company. They understand the costs of repair better than anyone.

• John Malcom

August 12, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Perhaps for an Aptera repair, but you need to understand the cost to repair for ALL vehicles (If the Aptera drivers is liable) Also need to cover medical, property damage, theft and much more. Then there is the need to establish a network of agents and backend policy processing and customer service. This is not a business that Aptera would want to take on

• Patrick Liebknecht

September 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm

I called my StateFarm agent , here is his answer:

At this time the Auto Underwriter is telling me to rate the vehicle under our car policy since the vehicle is enclosed. I am sending you the rate based on an enclosed style motor cycle. whether it is a car or a motor, State Farm stated that they can insure it.

Now as for the quote. It is NOT cheap motorcycle insurance like my Harley , it’s exactly the same price as my Volvo XC70

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now