V2G

• V2G

Harry Parker updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 9 Members · 17 Posts
  • Jose Torre-Bueno

August 24, 2021 at 6:42 pm

It seems to me that I saw something in the old forum indicating the Aptera would be capable of V2G. Is that still the case?

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 24, 2021 at 8:54 pm

The version of the CCS charging standard that’s used in North America isn’t expected to include V2G capability until at least 2025. At present the only V2G system uses the ChaDeMo format.

There is talk of some vehicles being able to output 110V AC current which would allow them to be used like small emergency generators for relatively light loads – but not for connection to the power grid.

• Jose Torre-Bueno

August 25, 2021 at 8:22 am

Are you sure about that? A few years ago CHARIN the agency that defines the CCS standard published a roadmap that said that V2G was scheduled for 2025 but the most recent version of the roadmap does not have dates on it. V2G is predicated on the communication specification which will actually come from ISO/IEC15118-20. My understanding is this is in release status 49.99 where 50 is released so it must be available to manufacturers. This must mean that all mechanical and electrical specification for V2G (or at least V2H) are fixed and it would only be a software issue to make a vehicle V2G capable.

• Fanfare 100

August 25, 2021 at 9:06 pm

How many Watts surge and how many watts continuous? I was wondering if it could power a small 700W microwave oven.

• Dan Stevens

August 24, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Not sure, but I sort of hope so. I want V2H (vehicle to home) and could care less about V2G. V2H is on the drawing board to be standardized long before V2G (though both are coming quickly). In fact, EV’s like the Ford F150 Lightening are introducing it in the spring of next year. But of course, it requires THEIR charger setup to make it happen correctly. I’m sure there is a lot of preliminary protocols floating around to interchangeability, but I wouldn’t count on that to work once the spec if finalized.

V2H is much simpler, you control what happens on this side of the meter. V2G is a regulatory nightmare and I don’t really want to use my car to power someone else’s refrigerator and TV.

So, somewhat available now, definitely next year. Can you use any bidirectional charger with any bidirectional car? Not officially yet.

Will Aptera allow this? I hope so. Its the same CCS connector, a minor bit of hardware to allow bidirectional power flow and probably a couple of hundred hours of software time to make it work.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 25, 2021 at 9:43 am

I at least want something I can plug a freezer/aircon unit/ power tool into. There will be times that I won’t be driving enough to use all the power the panels collect, and there should be some way to consume the excess productively.

• Riley _

August 28, 2021 at 6:49 am

I plan on using my aptera as a giant solar battery. Its peak solar input is 700w however thats at noontime on a sunny day. Going to cover a carport with solar panels tie that into the onboard solar charger and max out that 700w all day.

• Joshua Rosen

August 25, 2021 at 9:44 am

I hope they don’t waste anytime on this feature, they have so much to do and so little capital and staff to do it that a distraction like V2H could kill them. If you want backup for your house there are two better choices, a propane generator (I I have as 20KW Kohler) or solar panels and a power wall. My Kohler can power my house for almost a week with the two tanks that I have and if the outage goes longer I can have the tanks refilled. I got it after having two five day outages in a particularly bad winter several years ago. If you live in an area which gets a lot of sun then solar is a good solution, it will pay for itself eventually and it makes you independent of grid failures. I wouldn’t want to power my house from my car, I want to be able to go somewhere during a power outage and a drained battery makes that impossible. Also disconnecting the car to go somewhere will remove power from your furnace. It’s the lack of heat that makes power outages so uncomfortable.

• Dan Stevens

August 25, 2021 at 10:05 am

I do support laser focus on getting the car delivered. At the same time, I do like flexibility, but flexibility in things always leads to longer development times. At the same time, I’ve ordered the F150 Lightening to go with my Aptera mostly because of this feature (and at times, I need to do truck things)

I do have a 20KW Generac whole house auto-start backup generator due to frequent power outages. Unfortunately, living among the trees eliminates the ability to use solar at all, not an option and since we live in a national forest, we are not allowed to cut down the trees.

I’d like to see the feature available but it definitely does not need to be there day 1. Most people would probably never use it.

• James T Pace Pace

August 25, 2021 at 1:15 pm

I for one will be using the V2H features of the Aptera. It’s one of the main reasons I’m purchasing the car. V2G needs a power company ready to adopt that standard, and Idaho Power has shown no interest in V2G, although Idaho Power is a leader in renewable energy from non-residential sources. In the old website discussion list, someone claimed an engineer at Aptera told him/her V2H is in the cards, with a CCS connector, but I cannot confirm that. Every time I have a chance to submit that question for seminars, I ask, but no firm answers from a reliable source yet.

• Harry Parker

August 27, 2021 at 3:28 pm

The only thing close to V2G planned for the first Aptera is an AC inverter and power socket to give you 120 volt 60 Hz power from the Aptera. That’s no V2G; More of a V2H or V2X capability.

As of a few months ago they were still researching inverter vendors and deciding on the specs. Don’t expect more than 1500 watts capability from their builtin inverter; the same as a standard household outlet. So you could power some tools or a fridge or a small microwave, or even charge another EV at Level 1.

• Fanfare 100

August 27, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Thank you Harry. That answered the question further up in the thread.

• James T Pace Pace

August 28, 2021 at 8:12 am

Harry, if the 1500W, 60H/120V inverter is still in the design, I think I could live with that, as long as the whole 60KWH (in my case) battery is available to that inverter. That amount of power could run my fireplace fan and refrigerator for days and days during a mid-winter power outage, my biggest concern. But I’d rather be able to use the V2H capabilities of the CCS connector, combined with a combo level 2 charging/V2H system such as the Dcbel so I could operate my central heat pump and air exchanger. Pulling the battery down no lower than 20% would still give me 4-5 days of power and keep the whole house warm. As long as I could manage without hot water and an electric stove or microwave, that’s dandy.

A back up generator, or a solar array and battery bank that would accomplish the same task would approach $10K at a minimum.

• Harry Parker

August 28, 2021 at 9:31 am

After 2 long lasting (many days) power outages here in NJ years ago, I finally shopped around for an emergency generator. You can buy a gas powered one for under $1000 that’s good for 7.5KW. I figured it cost over $1/KWH to run. Bought and installed my own transfer switch for a few hundred dollars to power my home’s critical circuits and I was good to go. Got it inspected to keep the town happy, too.

I can now run my water pump, fridge, pellet stove, microwave, heat the outside bathroom to keep the pipes from freezing, so I’m good to go. Of course the power has never gone out once since then for over an hour or 2. 🤨

All that is way less expensive than solar panels on your roof, but only good for rare emergencies. It is also much less expensive than a home battery storage system.

If your utility allows it and pays you for any excess electricity your solar panels generate and you send to the grid through a grid-tie inverter, then ALL the electricity they generate will be used. That’s the most cost effective way to use your rooftop solar panels. Then charge all your EVs and run your home from the solar + grid power in your walls.

• Fanfare 100

August 28, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Hey Harry, there’s only one lonely person shown on the NJ map. And that person also remembers that power outage, if it’s the one from the ice-storm you are referring to. And, of course there was Sandy. Won’t you join that person on the map as well? https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/aptera-owners-map/ I’m sure there must be a few others from NJ as well.

Aptera Owner’s Map.

• Harry Parker

August 29, 2021 at 10:02 am

Hey Fanfare, NJ is bigger than you think. Look NW of you, North of Flemington near Clinton. That’s my practically next door neighbor, Steve and I, also in NJ. (Easton is on the eastern border of PA.) So that’s 3 of us NJ Aptera folk who have gone public.

• Jose Torre-Bueno

August 28, 2021 at 1:59 pm

From the point of view of a utility customer V2H give 99% of the benefit of V2G so even a basic AC output is valuable. The virtue of a CCS connection is that it could integrate with smart EVSE that could use the vehicle battery as a peak shaving device to avoid expensive electricity on time of use rates. I am thinking that the CCS equipment may be programmable and when the new standard is promulgated it can have this functionality added. If the Aptera can charge via CCS then it has all the hardware to use the future CCS features.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now