User interface (HMI) relative position for driver

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions User interface (HMI) relative position for driver

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions User interface (HMI) relative position for driver

• User interface (HMI) relative position for driver

Tyrale Bloomfield updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • Cosme Tome Melendez

November 2, 2021 at 7:27 pm

I would like to ask why we, I mean Aptera should follow same error as BMW, AUDI, and others carmakers do, when they positioned the user interface (HMI) position related to driver seat parallel to the dash line.

I suggest Aptera modify in someway the tild angle forward to the driver seat, and not parallel to dash line, it will more confortable for driver to see and manage the screen information better than parallel.

It is just a suggestion, I have a Mercedes C300, and the HMI position is not good for me at all.

• Charles Kaneb

November 2, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Most manufacturers had it right in the ’90s when they pointed all of the HMI towards the driver to create a “cockpit”

This works even better with a small touchscreen, as you can just leave one finger on the bottom of it and steady your hand to use even complex inputs.

• Paul Evans

November 2, 2021 at 10:06 pm

<div>I’m a firm believer that driver ergonomics should be the first principle for interior design. A driver must be able to adjust the seat to a comfortable position relative to the pedals. The steering wheel must be adjustable fore & aft, and tilt. All controls must be reachable without having to lean in any direction while having the arm slightly bent. Bonus points for providing a bar to rest one’s wrist at the bottom of the display to facilitate accurate touch-screen operation. Oh, and the display need to be adjustable to the degree necessary to center on the driver’s eyes when the head is turned toward the display.</div><div>

That no manufacturer that I know of has met all first principles described above doesn’t mean that Aptera shouldn’t try.

But what the h*ll do I know? I’m just a cranky old man who doesn’t want to be distracted from the road ahead….

</div>

• Tyrale Bloomfield

November 3, 2021 at 1:52 pm

As a designer myself, I loathe all automotive interiors, they are designed for show and pictures over actual driver usability. I would love to see such an innovative vehicle also push the interior further.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now