Upgrade capability

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Upgrade capability

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Upgrade capability

• Upgrade capability

• Michael Jarvis

November 8, 2021 at 7:28 am

Will the battery pack(s) be a consumer upgradable/expandable option? If I purchased a 250 mile version, could I add battery packs in the future?

• Peter Jorgensen

November 8, 2021 at 10:10 am

They said probably not – however that may change as they enter production. I suspect it may be easier to go from 250 to 400 vs from 600 to 1000.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 8, 2021 at 6:46 pm

I believe an Aptera person said this would be difficult. It kind of bumps up against their right to repair policy though. It may be that the access to this area is no longer available once the top is bonded to the bottom. I think eventually this will get addressed as new battery technology will make us all want to upgrade in years that follow (solid state?). Even without that though, I wonder if there is more bracing ‘in the pan’ area for different sizes of battery configurations. That is the only way I understand why they keep the payload the same for all battery variants.

• Harry Parker

November 8, 2021 at 7:37 pm

My understanding is that physical limitations make adding hundreds of pounds more battery to an existing Aptera difficult. I imagine the suspension will need to change for those extra hundreds of pounds. (Going from 60 KWH to 100 KWH adds about 400 pounds.) I remember reading at some point that the ~1000 pound 100 KWH battery may need a modified, slightly bulkier body to fit into as well.

• Bob Kirchner

November 9, 2021 at 12:01 pm

This now raises the question of whether one might be able to get the beefier springs from a 60 kWh Aptera to put on a 40kWh model if you wanted extra payload capacity.

• kerbe2705

November 8, 2021 at 8:06 pm

None of the currently-available EVs offer this capability – much in the same way that you can’t easily swap-out the 10 gallon fuel tank in an ICE vehicle for one that holds 20 gallons.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 8, 2021 at 8:27 pm

aptera says its so areodynamics prioritized that it more efficient that way despite all the mass making it so wide etc, assuming future regen tech etc is more efficient, the areodynamics will help efficiency more than weight does even more. i also thought the underfloor didnt have a panel but apparently there is a panel i guess to put in battery from bellow rather than by putting them in through the doors. this could be the engine hood of aptera, lay down heavy batteries that way after disconnecting wires etc. batteries could be removed part by part instead of moving teh whole thing at once b/c too heavy.

• Michael Jarvis

November 9, 2021 at 8:18 am

as for ICE machines, they have no need as the current infrastructure is built around them. But I’m only guessing at a large majority of the EV community and perhaps even more so of the ‘early adopters’ with Aptera are DIYers who would prefer the option of expanding range themselves or even upgrading to a newer technology as it would fit with not just the “right to repair” stance but also with the cradle-to-grave extension of reuse vs. recycle of the overall machine itself and getting rid of any planned obsolescence strategies of old school Detroit. I haven’t seen any demographic data on the people who have reservations or know if they are collecting it. Just a guess that it’s probably split between heavily with a large population of this type.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now