Turning radius

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Turning radius

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Turning radius

• Turning radius

Oz Man updated 3 weeks, 3 days ago 12 Members · 16 Posts
  • Paul Kirchner

November 8, 2021 at 8:25 pm

Hello, new member here. Live in Oakland, Ca. I did a search but couldn’t find anything. Anyone know or hazard a guess as to the turning radius?

• Curtis Cibinel

November 8, 2021 at 8:31 pm

It’s all on the structure of the front. The pods could turn about 60 degrees without hitting the body and provide their own thrust. I suspect it should be better than basically anything that doesn’t have 4 wheel steering

• Dean McManis

November 8, 2021 at 9:20 pm

The only comment that I recently heard about regarding the turning radius was from Aptera’s website update: “Roush, recognized global leader in engineering, prototyping, testing and manufacturing, is driving new advances in Aptera Motors’ solar electric vehicle (sEV) as the company nears completion of its Beta development phase. Among the enhancements to the ultra-efficient design include improvements to turning radius, geometry, door seals and latches.” So whatever the turning radius was, it’s better now.

• Paul Kirchner

November 8, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Probably not related to turning radius but to other unknown reasons, I noticed on the Jay Leno spot, his turns were always very large, often going into the next lane before straightening out. I’m thinking maybe they were a function of the video production needing certain things to happen. But it got me wondering.

• Titus Meusel

November 9, 2021 at 4:29 am

Have taken this out of some Aptera video. Won’t say how big it is though.

• Leonard Nowak

November 9, 2021 at 4:37 am

Yes. in the early days I heard.. “ Similar to a same size car”. IMHO with Roush’s help and the betas coming I’d wait to ask after they hit the road. Production intent model is what counts. We don’t even know if the three Alphas had torque vector, which may factor in to that turning radius FWD vs AWD ¯\_(~̃ ͜ʖ°̃)_/¯ But ….what do I know….

• R Daniel Hood

November 9, 2021 at 12:47 pm
    • Ray Holan

November 9, 2021 at 6:04 pm

Hope it is better than 23 ft. My Hyundai Ioniq hybrid’s turning radius is 17.5 ft.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 9, 2021 at 6:37 pm

23 feet is still quite reasonable. most cars are ~30+ feet. Really surprised how tight the ioniq and current fortwo are.

• Ray Holan

November 10, 2021 at 4:49 am

Turning circle is another relevant specification. My Hyundai Ioniq hybrid’s turning circle is listed as 34.8 ft. Turning circle not to be confused with turning radius. For comparison, the turning radius of a Jeep Cherokee is 18.6 to 19.0 based on tire choice.

• Joshua Caldwell

November 10, 2021 at 4:34 am

I’ve gone from a Ford Fiesta with 17.8 feet to a Honda Accord with 19.8 feet to a Cadillac DeVille with 22.0 feet. As I’ve aged, the rides have gotten nicer, but the parking lot experience has gotten annoying. With the estimated Aptera being 23.8 feet 🙁

Curtis, I don’t know how you got the figure that most cars have at least a 30 ft radius.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 10, 2021 at 8:25 am

I found a big chart but must have missed that it was turning circle not radius. Your right 23 kinda sucks. When you consider it doesn’t need to transmit physical rotation from the body to the wheels you’d think it could be extremely tight. Hopefully we will get something official eventually as that graphic might just be for illustration and not scaled correctly.

• David Marlow

November 9, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Possibly the radius could be reduced by applying some torque vectoring when the steering hits a limit.

• Riley -_-

November 10, 2021 at 2:15 am

It is also possible to dramatically reduce turning radius by replacing wheel pants with smaller fenders and modifying the steering to give it more angle. Note practical but an idea.

• Paul Schultz

November 11, 2021 at 6:32 pm

From what I have gathered torque vectoring provides turning assistance when a vehicle is in motion at or above a threshold speed. I don’t believe it will help for low velocity (like slow parking lot maneuvers or stationary) turning.

Paul

• Oz Man

November 11, 2021 at 7:32 pm

Paul,

Arcimoto has just added torque vectoring to its 3 wheeled FUV. One of their main reasons for doing so was to improve low end speed problems with turning the heavy front end, especially when parking. Videos from reviewers have confirmed that it makes an amazing difference.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now