Tires and Wheel Size?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tires and Wheel Size?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tires and Wheel Size?

• Tires and Wheel Size?

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Does anyone know what size tires/wheels the Aptera uses or will use when released? I didn’t see the wheel or tire size listed on the vehicle specification document. Also, what is the spare tire or flat repair strategy, full size spare, can o’ stuff?

• BRUCE MENGLER

November 23, 2021 at 5:32 pm

” The rims are “standard” – Aptera currently rolls on 195/45 R16 rubber.”

above is from URL below

https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/winter/

Winter

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 5:36 pm

<<<THANKS>>>

• Peter Jorgensen

November 24, 2021 at 7:20 am

Wheels just bolt onto hub motors – Standard size. Shared with Fiat 500 Abarth.

• DON RASKY

November 24, 2021 at 6:02 pm

NICE WHEELS. Pretty great look too without the wheel covers. Wonder what you’d lose in range not having the wheel covers. It very rarely rains in my ZipCodes.

• kerbe2705

November 24, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Not very much until speeds over 45 mph – then you’d take an efficiency hit from the lost of aerodynamics. You’d also risk throwing sand and stones against the body and windows of the vehicle.

• Don Daniels

November 26, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Most states do not allow “Open Wheel” vehicles on public roads. For me, it might be a “Get Home” option if the wheel pants fill up with Ice and Snow in the winter and start rubbing the tires. That is one thing I want to test.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 26, 2021 at 4:06 pm

I watched a review of the model 3 in Toronto. The issue is that without engine heat like ICE cars the snow builds up in the wheel well. Aptera shouldn’t have as big of an issue with this because the 5% waste heat from the motors will be directly at the wheels so it will act as heater to prevent buildup.

• Bob Kirchner

November 26, 2021 at 5:43 pm

To answer your final question, can o’ stuff seems to be where they’re headed (although I think the technical term is “goo”).

• Paul Kirchner

November 26, 2021 at 6:07 pm

A better approach for them, in my opinion, would be one of those tire repair kits and a small battery powered tire inflator. The tire repair kits I’ve been using for years and are easy peasy. Side wall puncture is another thing. I have in an emergency repaired a side wall puncture but only had to drive a few miles home.

It would certainly tie in with their right to repair, rather than fill the tire with goo.

• Philip Raymond

November 26, 2021 at 8:31 pm

In regards to what Don said about open wheels, that would not apply to the Aptera as its 3 wheels make it an autocycle with motorcycle laws applied to it. There are plenty of open wheeled motorcycles on the road, so it should be viewed as legal. That said, driving without the wheel pants would only be a good idea in deep snow at speeds under 45 mph. Still, it would not be my first choice to do that, I would keep the pants on in most deep snow. I would only do it in the most dire of deep snow driving. For example, over 2 feet of snow, the street I live on has not yet been plowed and I need to drive to a hospital.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now