Tire efficiency

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire efficiency

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire efficiency

• Tire efficiency

Ken Potter updated 1 week, 1 day ago 10 Members · 11 Posts
  • Ken Potter

October 8, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Because of the low weight and efficiency of the Aptera, it should be very easy on tires. I’m wondering if there is a way to estimate the reduced tire pollution, as compared with a large I.C.E.-powered SUV? I would guess somewhere around 30-50%. If we are reducing the impact of transportation where the (synthetic) rubber meets the road, the Aptera Paradigm wins again!

• Oz Man

October 8, 2021 at 4:31 pm

It’s just an “Aptera” by the Aptera Motor Company, Paradigms and Paradigm Plusses were a 330 vehicle limited edition.

• Pistonboy Delux

October 9, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Perhaps this is a place for the airless tire. Just bond a new strip of rubber to the flexing foundation. No sidewalls or old carcus to discard. Much less rubber is use.

https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/airless-tires-and-aptera/?no_frame=1#post-6966

Airless tires and Aptera

• Ray Holan

October 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Michelin has been experimenting with that kind of tire design. Not commercially available yet. No idea about cost premium over traditional tire, nor reduced rolling resistance vs. traditional tire. Will be interesting to see if it hits the market in next 2-3 years and how it might work with an Aptera. I suspect we’ll be on traditional LRR tires for foreseeable future.

• Riley -_-

October 9, 2021 at 1:39 pm

+1 I want a tweel on my aptera

• Curtis Cibinel

October 10, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Love the theory but its still early. Once the tech is solid and scaled to high enough production it is literally a bolt on change for Aptera (or when you replace your tires). Would be great to know what the standard LRR tires will be since this is always a balance of performance, longevity and cost. If they are good LRR tires this with a coefficient of road friction of 0.006 the hypermiling potential would be insane (potentially well over 2000 miles).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=0

• Carl Knapp

October 9, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Ken, you bring up a good point and your percentages could be true for many. I have elected to get the faster three-wheel version. If I drive it like my old motorcycle which only gave me 2000 miles of rubber versus 8000 like everyone else then my mileage results would not be a good candidate for Aptera.😆

• Philip Raymond

October 9, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Here’s an excellent and timely video about airless tires, from Brian Cooley of the Roadshow on CNET. It was only posted yesterday…..https://www.cnet.com/videos/see-what-michelin-uses-instead-of-air-in-its-uptis-tires/

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 10, 2021 at 2:15 pm
  • John Malcom

October 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

There is another thread on the forum that addresses this in more detail. The jury is still out on the Michelin airless tires. Some tech data I have read has been negative citing excessive heat generation, resistance to roll, not certified for high speeds, and damages to the wheel (The tires comes integrated with a wheel of a composite material. You buy the wheel and tire as an integrated unit) Other reports say it is coming along but probably a “Few” years from being viable.

I attended an Electrify America EV event last weekend where a GM rep was there with a Bolt that had the Michelin tires. (GM is in partnership with Michelin) He claimed they are ready for prime time and offered a ride in the vehicle. The ride seemed rough to me compared to a regular tire.

Personally, I will forgo them and go with the tires furnished with the Aptera I get as I believe they are best matched with the engineering of the car and are a component of the integrated engineering design.

• Ken Potter

October 16, 2021 at 10:40 pm

My mistake – Omit the word Paradigm. On another note, I look forward to seeing the Luna.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now