Tire info and service

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire info and service

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tire info and service

• Tire info and service

Posted by k3n on September 10, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Because of the low weight and efficiency of the Aptera, it should be very easy on tires. I’m wondering if there is a way to estimate the reduced tire pollution, as compared with a large I.C.E.-powered SUV? I would guess somewhere around 30-50%. If we are reducing the impact of transportation where the (synthetic) rubber meets the road, the Aptera Paradigm wins again!

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    Biker replied 6 days, 15 hours ago 57 Members · 96 Replies
  • 96 Replies
  • Tire info and service

Biker updated 6 days, 15 hours ago 57 Members · 96 Replies
  • orlando-terrazas

September 10, 2021 at 2:53 pm

I went to the tire shop to have the tires rotated on my Ford F-150 (yeah I know it’s an ICE vehicle but is only used for loads my Prius or eBike can’t handle. It sits in my driveway most of the time). Anyways while waiting for the technician to start I told him I was purchasing the Aptera and explained it is a new 3 wheel solar electric car that is going into production in December 2021. So I asked him. How do you rotate tires on a 3 wheel vehicle? He was stumped. He even asked his co-worker how to rotate a 3 wheel vehicle. He responded with a puzzled look on his face…

That being said, does anyone know how to rotate tires on a 3 wheel vehicle???

• len

September 10, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Although this is not a validated reply I did have this conversation with an Aptera member who said….

Front wheels could be rotated but not the back necessarily.

We will hear when they get to that type of detail sharing

We do have Polaris Slingshot owners in the forum? Or you can speak directly to three wheel vehicle dealers of Polaris and Vanderhall, etc…

• kerbe2705

September 10, 2021 at 3:46 pm

The rear tire (driving wheel) of a Slingshot is significantly wider than the front tires and the front rims are 18″ while the rear is 20″.

• kerbe2705

September 10, 2021 at 3:42 pm

From “Car and Driver”: “Rotating your tires evens out the wear and makes them last longer. Proper rotation not only helps even out wear and extend the life of your tires, it provides the perfect opportunity to make certain all four wheels are in good working order.”

If all three tires on an Aptera are the same size then the answer would be “Clockwise or counter-clockwise.” If the rear tire is a different size then the front tires would just trade places with each other.

• peter-jorgensen

September 10, 2021 at 4:06 pm

If they are all the same, there are only two possible combinations:

Clockwise and counterclockwise.

If just the front, you just swap the two. If they are directional, you’d need them demounted and turned around then remounted. Like a Dodge Viper where they are directional and the rears are bigger.

• 993cc

September 10, 2021 at 5:47 pm

The way I would do it would be to switch the right front tire with the rear, leaving the left front in place. On the next rotation I would switch the left front with the rear, leaving the right front in place. At this point the former right front tire will be on the left front, but will have had a low stress period rolling in the rear position to reduce the stresses on the plies normally associated with switching a radial ply tire from one side to another (although I sense that this is less of a big deal now than we were taught when radial ply tires were new).

• john-trotter

September 12, 2021 at 11:54 am

I have not rotated tires from left to right in years, having been told tire rotation should not be reversed. On my cars with “staggered” (unequal) front and back, there’s no way to rotate at all. Be careful with inflation, watch for signs of alignment-caused wear, and that’s good enough. For a BEV, tire load on the Aptera isn’t too bad, so wear should be reasonable.

• joey-l

September 17, 2021 at 5:01 am

Taking into consideration the wheel covers and in wheel motors, how easy or what’s the process if you had to change a flat tire (is there even a spare?)

• Riley

September 17, 2021 at 5:24 am

Aptera hasn’t shown the finnished wheel cover design but they have stated that it will be very easy to remove the covers. The in wheel motors won’t have any affect on the process. There won’t be a spare tire but the wheel and tires will be a standard type that is stocked in most shops.

• george-hughes

September 17, 2021 at 7:20 am

This does raise the question of what kind of wheels?

The possibilities range from the funky steel wheels secured by three nuts like the Citroen 2CV (lightweight vehicle) to styles aluminum or other more exotic designs. Styling would be secondary as the wheels are enclosed fully in fenders for aerodynamics.

I’ve had one flat with a ‘spare-less’ car and ended up driving very slowly on the flat for about a mile to a tire shop. I did that after the spray stuff proved ineffective. Care was taken to allow the wheel ‘survived’ the ordeal but the flat tire was toast. As it was a standard rim size, I got a used replacement at the shop and ordered a new set of tires for the rear axle.

It would obviously have been a more expensive issue if the wheel had been damaged. Which of course, begs the question, what kind of wheels – plain, stamped steel from a Chevy or Ford, or some custom styled light-weight alloy? Which will be standard on the Aptera?

• peter-jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 11:14 am

Here’s what the alphas have and currently use 195/45 R16 tires.

• bob-stevens

September 20, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Speaking of changing a tire. Will their be a jack kit in the vehicle? Including whatever tool(s) needed to remove the wheel covers?

• kerbe2705

September 21, 2021 at 10:17 pm

It’s too soon in the developmental process to have information about tool kits but, as Riley mentioned above, Aptera has said that the wheels will be easy to access. Traditionally, fender skirts on automobiles were held in place with latches or some other sort of locking mechanism that didn’t require a special tool to remove. I suspect we’ll see a removeable panel of some sort on Aptera.

• richard-lutz

September 22, 2021 at 8:25 am

With no spare tire, which I am fine with, I will be keeping a tire plug kit and a small compressor behind one of the seats. If I get a puncture, I will be OK until I can get to a tire shop. If I damage the sidewall then I will need a flatbed tow-truck anyway. My insurance includes roadside assistance. I have had 2 flats from punctures and a blowout at high speed in the last 10 years, so I would not say a flat is rare. A spare was useful during the blowout, but I am willing to take the risk for the weight savings.

Update, I looked at the FAQ and saw that there will be a 110 AC outlet in the car. With that I would use a small 110 volt compressor rather than some anemic 12v unit.

• cosme-tome-melendez

October 31, 2021 at 6:54 pm

How to proceed in an event of a flat tire?, Aptera provide a jack and a Flat tire kit?

• len

October 31, 2021 at 7:48 pm

This has been answered in the FAQ spreadsheet

No spare tire

Flat tire leak repair kit ( can )

No jack or tire iron, (too much added weight)

There will be lift points, (not yet shown) Wheel covers will be easy to remove. Some unclipping expected

• don-rasky

November 23, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Does anyone know what size tires/wheels the Aptera uses or will use when released? I didn’t see the wheel or tire size listed on the vehicle specification document. Also, what is the spare tire or flat repair strategy, full size spare, can o’ stuff?

• bruce-mengler

November 23, 2021 at 5:32 pm

” The rims are “standard” – Aptera currently rolls on 195/45 R16 rubber.”

• benjamin-dreidel

November 29, 2021 at 12:00 am

How do you add air to the tires when only 30-40% of the tire is accessible? Do you have to add air to a tire, roll forward / backward until another tire is in the right position, etc.?

• g-johns

November 29, 2021 at 4:11 am

I will guess you remove the cover and top off the front tires. For the rear if you need to place something on the ground, do so lay on it and top off. If it’s incomprehensible you can always pay someone to do it.

• howard-sharp

March 31, 2022 at 6:25 pm

I was scrunched down on the ground trying to attach an air hose to a leaky rear tire on our Prius, when I started wondering “How do you do this on the rear tire of an Aptera?”. Do you have to remove a fairing, does it reveal the whole wheel, or do you have to rock the car back and forth ‘til the valve appears? Are you at that point lying on the ground, or in our case here in Maine, mud, because there isn’t enough headroom to crouch. Hope somebody’s thinking about this.

• len

March 31, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Thus has bern discussed

Production intent Wheel Covers will be clipped in place for easy removal

It the tire can be rolled to reveal the valvr below the covers you can check/top off

Many do not search the https://aptera.us website and/or FAQ Spreadsheet that Aptera produced in an effort to answer many questions.

Search Aptera’s FAQ Spreadsheet

Please search the spreadsheet with Ctrl+F (for “Find”), or for Mac use command+F or cmd+F

The answers in these locations are directly from an Aptera team member. They try to update the answer, in time, but understand that many were composed at the early stage(s) of development.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  bbelcamino.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.

Aptera

• donny-wilbanks

April 25, 2022 at 5:11 pm

I am new to the auto-cycle, and don’t ride motor cycles myself. Many of my friends have had to ditch their bikes because of bad drivers. The Aptera being something people will be able to see makes a big difference. I have a question with the motor and breaks in the wheel? How hard would it be to change a flat tire? I usually just jack the car up, pull off the old one and then place the new spare on. Got a video to show us what is involved?

• curtis-cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Standard hand tools are expected to be able to remove the wheel pants in under 30 seconds (potentially without tools – still in development – See video by Aptera Owners Club). From this it is no different than a car – jack it up and change the wheel. We will not have a spare included (normal for any vehicle in the last 10 years) but if you are planning to offroad their is plenty of storage in the back to put another full size tire or smaller spare tire. Tires are 195/45 R16

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

June 13, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Hi Everyone. First post here & pre ordered my Aptera AWD just last 6/11 Sat.

How would a tri wheel tire rotation pattern be?

I tried Googling for any images or info about it, and found nothing.

Also, where would the jacking points be located?

I’ve seen an old thread about it here in the forums, but was just conjecture in the end. Thanks!

• Greek

June 13, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Not ever owning a 3 wheeled anything…I would think that fronts would swap L~R and rear would stay in place. Rear tire I would expect has the same load on ether side so no need to move.

• chuck01

June 15, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Will it take an engineering degree to change a tire, especially the rear tire?

• curtis-cibinel

June 15, 2022 at 2:44 pm

No. It is just like any vehicle. the wheel pants are designed for easy removal (potentially toolless TBD). The wheel motors have no impact on the process to change tires.

Page 1 of 3

or to reply.