The Transition from Less to More…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The Transition from Less to More…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The Transition from Less to More…

• The Transition from Less to More…

Ray Holan updated 1 week, 4 days ago 5 Members · 8 Posts
  • Ray Holan

October 9, 2021 at 10:45 am

Like to hear from folks who are familiar with organizational development about what you think about Aptera’s impeding “growth spurt” and the repercussions thereof. New building and more people might not be all puppy dogs and rainbows.

I must admit to some worry about the energy, creativity, quality and commitment we’ve seen so far getting lost in layers of bureaucracy, power struggles, and in-fighting as the company makes a major leap in employee count. Personally, I associate out-of-the-box thinking with smaller operations — think Kelly Johnson’s “skunkworks” or Burt Rutan’s “Scaled Composites” or Thomas Edison’s “Menlo Park”. So I’m concerned (and I assume Chris and Steve are as well) that bigger corporate size doesn’t slow down progress or corrupt the original vision.

I remain an optimistic and enthusiastic support and hope the transition associated with the move to the new building and a larger workforce will go well.

• Marlin Press

October 9, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Having survived a successful start up company as the 50th employee and now the company being thousands of employees everything is determined by the heads of the company. If they are solid, thoughtful and wise, not in it just for the money, they will be successful. And the employees will be productive and motivated.

I have also seen from the outside companies fail more frequently. “The fish stinks from the head.” But there can be lots of other reasons for failure also.

If I was younger I would gladly move to join a company like Aptera. Instead I will be happy to be a supporter, investor and hopefully soon an owner of the vehicle. Personally I see no issue with the continued and hopefully explosive growth. Seems to be great people at the helm.

• Ray Holan

October 9, 2021 at 12:35 pm

I agree, Marlin. If the folks at the top are solid, one hopes their hands on the rudder are steady and the employees that join later will be steered by their vision.

• Carl Knapp

October 9, 2021 at 2:28 pm

I was involved in a start-up company that started with 5 employees and grew to over 1000 in four years before being sold. What I learned was when leadership and their core employees have skin in the game their 80 hours of work per week will pay off for everyone as they grow.🌞

• Ray Holan

October 9, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Good point, Carl. Is Aptera set up in such a way that employees share in future profits?

• John Malcom

October 9, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Please help the forum understand what qualifications, knowledge, and experience you have in your background and of Aptera Management Practices that would give rise to a credible concern about their successful transition and your request for forum members to publish an assessment.

Both CO-CEOs have run multiple successful companies and have done a remarkable job with few resources (Money and people) to get Aptera to this point. There CFO has successful multiple IPO experience and worked at a high level in a prominent consulting firm. Their VP of procurement and production has a great background and successful experience in auto startup and aerospace before coming to Aptera. This will be an impressive management team when it comes time to go public.

The true litmus test is in the effort needed to generate capital as investors are pretty good at sniffing out potential issues. You may not know, but they opened a round of funding and closed it in a week because they had achieved their goal. Never had an issue with funding the new Aptera Motors. Unless you have more insight than I do into their hiring, I think they are right on the curve for staffing up and handling the short and mid term transition tasks.

background is in engineering, Six Sigma Process Assessment and Improvement, and I have IPO’d three companies. I would put Aptera ahead of all three of the companies I partnered in an IPO with. I hope this experience meets your criteria for making an authoritative assessment.

It is my professional assessment, based on the above qualifications, that this management team is spot on in their planning and executing their plan. I have no concerns about their path to success with this team and the young engineers. Watch some of the Maker Videos to see the quality of engineering talent they have and the confidence they have in their management.

• David Maddon

October 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Your concern is wise, they failed the firs time around by bringing in investors who didn’t share the vision. I hope they follow the principle laid out in Start with Why and Infinite Thinking by Simon Sinek. Which I recommend to all people who are leaders in any form. If all people are not onboard with the vision and all people support the work family environment it will fail as most business do. Including many of the two CEOs. So far so goo which os why I invested and have a deposit down.

Here is a lecture of his same thoughts. https://youtu.be/nokBj14p4Mc There is also a shorter Ted Talk on YouTube.

• Ray Holan

October 10, 2021 at 10:11 am

David, thanks for the link to Simon Sinek. Very interesting notions.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now