The risk of showing an incomplete product…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The risk of showing an incomplete product…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions The risk of showing an incomplete product…

• The risk of showing an incomplete product…

• kerbe2705

September 27, 2021 at 11:10 am

…is that it allows (and even encourages) people to make assumptions. We’re all excited that Jay Leno is going to review the new Aptera but, today, he took a moment to diss it (at 22:14): https://youtu.be/SEZItg7-Khg

• Philip Raymond

September 27, 2021 at 11:23 am

No doubt it’s a risk. However, what he said about exposed power cables is something I don’t recall either being discussed here in the forums or in the website faq. Is it a concern that has been or will be addressed?

• kerbe2705

September 27, 2021 at 12:06 pm

The front suspension components and the currently open inboard sides of the wheel pants will be enclosed in fairings, we’ve been told, but – as Raj says – we won’t see them until later prototypes.

We also know that Elaphe is custom-designing motors for Aptera that will relocate/reposition the power and cooling connectors – but that current prototypes are being assembled with off-the-shelf motors.

In the original forum one of the most commonly-asked questions was, “Why doesn’t Aptera have windshield wipers?” because they weren’t shown on any of the renderings, nor could they be seen in photographs of the Noir prototype. Unless people are REMINDED that what they’re seeing is still in the initial prototype phase, they’re going to assume that “what they see is what they’ll get”.

Knowing that Leno is all about performance driving the FWD, 135 HP “Sol” instead of the 201 HP “Noir” is probably what prompted his impression that there’s not enough torque. Perhaps he should have been shown a rendering of “production intent” Aptera that included the front fairings…

• Michael Rennick

September 27, 2021 at 6:39 pm

It’s a small thing, but it isn’t really accurate to characterize Leno as only likening big power cars. He has plenty of small displacement lower powered cars in his collection.

• Raj Giandeep

September 27, 2021 at 11:24 am

We have yet to see the final build how how the wires are run & protected to the wheel motors.

• John Malcom

September 27, 2021 at 1:01 pm

Unfortunate that he would make a comment like that. Hopefully, he can be encouraged to recant to some degree when he next reviews.

Two edged sword showing an incomplete prototype. Shows you have something real not just a rendering but opens up the opportunity for Jay Leno off the cuff comments. Always need to qualify by saying not the production vehicle. Refinement in progress and hope people hear that part of the message

• Roy Dudley

September 27, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Hola, Apteraianos. I live in Veracruz, México and vandalism is a definite concern always, as it is in so many places in the world. I would like to see what Aptera is considering to do in that respect(graffitii, sentry mode, etc.). I just can’t wait to use my Aptera here as soon as possible. ¡Saludos y que viva Aptera!

• David Marlow

September 27, 2021 at 4:28 pm

I would not have Jay drive an Alpha as the handling will be much different in the Beta and final units. The differences in the motor connections can be explained, but handling has to be experienced.

• kerbe2705

September 27, 2021 at 4:56 pm

I was thinking the same thing, regarding the completely redesigned rear suspension in particular…

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now