Right of repair and planned obsolescence

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Right of repair and planned obsolescence

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Right of repair and planned obsolescence

• Right of repair and planned obsolescence

• George Hughes

October 29, 2021 at 9:17 pm

The video below details elements of right of repair and its relationship, not only to planned obsolescence but suggests it is why we can’t have nice things.

It also details why the first principles approach and the embrace of Right to repair is one of those ‘revolutionary’ concepts in automotive history.

This ‘concept’s’ implications in the Aptera iteration is an important social statement that asserts it is the penultimate in ‘personal’ transportation designed to be the most efficient tool for traveling from point A to point B today and tomorrow and for decades and decades of tomorrows.

If you watch the video, I think you’ll begin to understand the implications which has both advantages and disadvantages.

• John Malcom

October 30, 2021 at 3:43 am

Good video. States explicitly what we all know in the back of our minds to be true and frustrates us when we are confronted with it in our daily lives. For a grand daughter, “Why is the ice cream machine still broken” during a trip to Sonic. She shoots the messenger, me

• Curtis Cibinel

October 30, 2021 at 8:32 am

Open design and right to repair are very important. Mcdonalds Icecream machines are broken comically often due to corrupt contracts, franchise greed and deliberate obscurity – sonics might have the same issues. Cars should not be allowed to have this same bs. Documenting wireless automotive diagnostics is one of the latest fights and has auto dragging its feet with fud.

https://youtu.be/SrDEtSlqJC4

• John Trotter

October 30, 2021 at 8:39 am

Speaking of history and repair, a friend who repairs/restores Rolls Royce’s told me this story. From the early 20th Century, the Silver Ghost took over the (very) high end market, in part because repair was part of the original design and planning. All replacement parts could be fabricated in what was then a standard machine shop, even in the far reaches of the Empire (or Colonies). Rolls would send instructions or, if in Europe, often would dispatch a repairman as well. This design approach has allowed my friend to rebuild 100-year-old cars to run as good as new. Hopefully, the Aptera repairman can do the same in 2222.

• George Hughes

October 30, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Great story.

With narratives like that one involving Roll Royce – a brand that suggests excellence and luxury – the narrative regarding the importance of branding. The ‘success’ of the Model T Ford – This is the right to repair ethos that brought the ICE car to America. Remember, in that time of rapid change from horse-powered to gas powered ‘carriages’ the hard to break Model T became ubiquitous. The early GM, which introduced ‘colors’ … all cars had been ‘black’ … style and planned obsolescence was reflective of a novel, exciting style commonly known as the car culture.

That ethos is changing very rapidly because of climate change. The path that works is the one that sells its self as the responsible way to view transportation. This is the trend we’re riding.

The narrative that is broadcast about Aptera is enhanced dramatically by the right to repair.

To me, the Aptera could well be, as we head toward the paradigm change in transportation, a key test platform.

I made the observation, for instance, that if you are a family of four, it is still cheaper to take two Apterea. It would be ‘family friendly’ if you could synchronize the two cars into a two car caravan with the piloting being done by the lead vehicle. At the least, inter-vehicle private communications (not through a provider) ought to be the type of feature ‘innovators’ may explore with this ‘test’ platform.

Building the Aptera infrastructure to promote that kind of infrastructure is an imperative.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 30, 2021 at 4:53 pm
Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now