Tesla’s $25K Model 2 may be coming sooner than expected.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla’s $25K Model 2 may be coming sooner than expected.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tesla’s $25K Model 2 may be coming sooner than expected.

• Tesla’s $25K Model 2 may be coming sooner than expected.

Christian L updated 1 month ago 8 Members · 14 Posts
  • Fanfare 100

August 14, 2021 at 10:22 pm

It would appear that Tesla is much more advanced in the production of this vehicle than originally anticipated. We may even see it unveiled at shows this year. This is an exciting milestone in the EV industry and is sure to help things remain competitive. But despite that it’s no solar electric vehicle. As such, my mind is still stuck on the Aptera as I believe it will have a much stronger impact on the environment as an whole per vehicle.

This is my source: https://youtu.be/IjI7DRRk6dw

• Fanfare 100

August 14, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Not sure if that imaginary rendering is a joke but it sure does look like a modified 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage. 😆

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 15, 2021 at 5:52 am

Tesla could do worse than copying the Mirage. It has good space efficiency and a very low coefficient of drag.

• Fanfare 100

August 15, 2021 at 12:11 pm

You’re right, I own a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. I’m extremely happy with it. It’s probably the best and least expensive car I’ve owned. It already has a small <b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”>0.27 (Cd), but if you remove the grille and use rear cams instead of the rear view mirrors one can probably knock it down a bit more. My dad is 6′ tall and can fit comfortably in it and it actually can fit 5 normally sized peeps in it. The best record I got with my own Mirage is 64 mpg between Ottawa and Delaware. And that’s with an ICE engine. I can only imagine what that would be if it were to become electrified.

This is the car I will be replacing when I get my hands on my Fully Solar Aptera.

• Christopher May

August 15, 2021 at 8:47 am

If we’re going by Transport Evolved, there have been no official Tesla renders or mock-ups of the vehicle, other than Musk describing it. Every model has been fan generated so far, based on his words and fan expectations.

• Carl Knapp

August 15, 2021 at 11:03 am

My educated guess is this will be an initially built Chinese modified BYD T3 with a range of 186 miles and acceleration of around 7 seconds. Chinese automakers need a channel into the USA market for sales and manufacturing and they do not want to go through dealerships or the big three so why not partner up with Tesla. I also think this statement along with Tesla not being union made may be another reason Tesla was not invited to the Whitehouse on August 5th for Biden’s “Big Three” automakers to join force EV announcement. Eventually, I would not be surprised to see this manufactured in Tesla’s new Texas plant.

• Fanfare 100

August 15, 2021 at 12:21 pm

You’re probably right. And it’s also probably a back door for Chinese products into the American market. Kandi Motors has not had the best of times achieving this, for example and are delayed beyond even the most conservative of expectations. This alliance with Tesla will likely accelerate any entrance into the U.S. market. I don’t Elon holds no allegiance to any nation. I think he views all nations as “equal opportunity”. If anything, I believe his actual allegiance, focus, intent and sense of purpose resides in Mars. 😄 For him, Tesla may even simply be a financial means to that end.

Now, you make an interesting point about the “no unions” thing. Has Tesla actually been caught union-busting or have employees simply not felt the drive and desire to unionise. The employees that I have met from SpaceX, for example, seem relatively contented. Maybe Elon is less exploitative than the other mainstream car manufacturers? I don’t actually know.

At least it would appear that my future Aptera will be able to plug into their Super-Charger network. I look forward to that.

• Joshua Rosen

August 16, 2021 at 6:44 am

It won’t come to the US, this is for Asia and Europe where small cars are popular and range is less important.

• Fanfare 100

August 16, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Not sure about that. The Mini Cooper, The Fiat 500 and the Mitsubishi Mirage are popular in the “West”. They also did announce their interest in shipping world-wide after initially selling in China the 1st year. So, I’d expect to see unveiling and exhibits in China this year (2021), internal sales in China in 2022, international shipments at around 2023.

• Joshua Rosen

August 20, 2021 at 6:51 am

Tesla isn’t going to waste batteries on a low margin car in the US and I don’t think they will import a Chinese made car. When 4680 production can exceed the requirements of the 3/Y/Cybertruck then they’ll consider introducing a low cost car but not until then.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 19, 2021 at 9:22 pm

speaking of international, maybe some rich foreigners would like a aptera shipped to them given ive seen even very normal stuff like lexus nx imported to even poor places because wealthy people want it, i bet there are such people would pay the extra for something special like aptera. i hear chinese still fetishsize higher end american stuff and big cars and they have plenty of very rich people

• Christian L

August 24, 2021 at 12:20 pm

I think Aptera could do well to invent a rickshaw for the southern Asian countries. The tricky part is that they typically don’t have windows or doors. Makes it hard to maintain aerodynamics that way.

• MITSUYA ENDO

August 21, 2021 at 2:51 pm

In Japan, where roads and parking lots are narrow (especially in urban areas), the Model 2 is a car with great expectations. Many experts say that if it is sold in Japan, it will have a devastating impact on the Japanese market, where awareness of EVs is far behind.

To be honest, I could be the first EV to buy given this size, expected specs, and price.

The only concern in the operation of APTERA is its width. I fully understand that it was reasonably and cool designed under an innovative concept, but it doesn’t fit in the parking lot at my workplace.

Owning APTERA and Model 2 would solve the problem, but my wife gets angry

• Fanfare 100

August 21, 2021 at 6:58 pm

I understand your dilemma. You may wish to investigate the possibility of purchasing an Aptera that is designed for the European market. The reason I say this is that I anticipate these will be narrower. There are a few comments already on the forum about Apteras becoming European compliant. Perhaps there you may find the answer.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now