Tall, Heavy Driver

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tall, Heavy Driver

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Tall, Heavy Driver

• Tall, Heavy Driver

GLEN KIRK updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
  • Nazhi Hamdan

November 4, 2021 at 9:17 am

Just placed my order today. Im concerned, that Im too tall and heavy for the vehicle! Im 194 cm tall and i weigh just south of 150 kg. If im alone will the Aptera tilt to one side because of my weight? If im riding with my mrs we will be right on the 500 lbs payload limit on the vehicle- how will that affect the range? Also are you planning to add a table/chart with different payloads affecting range?

Thank you!

• Curtis Cibinel

November 4, 2021 at 9:49 am

The offset weight of the driver shouldn’t be that big of deal even if your a bit heavier. The front wheels have a very wide stance and normal driving doesn’t push handling to its limits.

Each 30lb takes about a 1% hit in range (statement by Chris). The following is my more detailed physics calculations based on some estimates (also vehicle range by speed for aptera and others). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=0. At 60 mph my calculations say the 250mile version would lose ~18 miles of range going from a single 150lb occupant to 2 occupants totaling 500lb. You can make a copy the chart and play with the weight and see the impact (most currently assume a 150lb driver except hypermiling columns). 60-65 mph constantly seems to map roughly to EPA range.
    Note: Details on exact vehicle weight, frontal area, battery size, rolling resistance etc are educated guesses based on available information and general research.

It isn’t recommended but its not like the shocks are completely bottom’d or the vehicle wont go if it has 600lb in it instead of 500lb.

• Paul Schultz

November 4, 2021 at 1:24 pm

6 ft 4 in and 330 lbs for those of us in the US. I would hope someone at 6’4″ would be accommodated. I haven’t seen the Aptera specs on occupant size. I do have a concern that the seat sliding backward is limited by the rear compartment edge. Anyone have this info from Aptera?

Paul

• Curtis Cibinel

November 4, 2021 at 2:06 pm

They talked about it in one of the interviews with the CEOs about the transition to beta vehicles – maybe ~4 months ago. Unfortunately that only narrows it down to about 2-3 hours of youtube videos. I think they said something like accommodating far taller drivers but as I’m only 5’7″ I didn’t care. Hopefully someone remembers the reference as they may have estimated the max height (although body ratio would impact this anyway).

• GLEN KIRK

November 5, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Im in an almost identical position so I’ve been keeping a close eye on this. From everything that they’ve said so far I don’t think hieght will be that much of anissue ( though for me it might be so, I’m 6’5 but all torsowith teeny tiny lengthed legs, so sitting I’m closer to 6’7 or so.

Weight worries me some, not when I’m driving solo, but I really don’t want to have to adopt a “no fatties” policy for any passengers.

In the end, I will just have to see if I fit. It would be hugely disappointing it after waiting all this time the car won’t work for me. Hopefully the ipo goes well so at least I make some money😁

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now