Suppliers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Suppliers

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Suppliers

• Suppliers

• Ron Miller

October 12, 2021 at 10:27 am

I would really like to know where Aptera is getting their batteries from. Maybe I missed it somewhere – if anyone knows please post. Other suppliers would also be interesting to know. Thanks

• Ken Bolinsky

October 12, 2021 at 11:14 am

Re. battery cells they’ve never said. Motors come from Elaphe in Slovenia, UI comes from Crank Software in Canada, body shells are currently being molded in Reno, NV, and they’ve mentioned working with a company in Japan to develop the driver assistance software package.

• Jeff Sampson

October 13, 2021 at 9:32 am

I would like to know what Aptera is doing for glass and solar cells. Are they using gorilla glass?? Do the glazings meet all FMVSS requirements?

• Alain Chuzel

October 16, 2021 at 7:09 am

Everything I’ve seen in Aptera videos and such would strongly indicate the cells are SunPower/Maxeon Gen 3.

• Harry Parker

October 16, 2021 at 6:18 pm

As to the glass, Steve Fambro said in a video recently, “just ordinary automotive glass.”

So don’t try bouncing any large ball bearings off of the windows.

• Jeff Sampson

October 18, 2021 at 6:30 am

You’d think they’d be using something a little more high-tech that “ordinary automotive glass”. No???? Ordinary automotive glass is not exactly the strongest/lightest material out there.

• Alain Chuzel

October 18, 2021 at 8:07 am

Check out the dialog between Mr. Fambro and Mr. Leno at the 10:23 mark of this video:

I get the sense that Aptera would be interested in something other than “ordinary automotive glass” too….

• Peter Jorgensen

October 13, 2021 at 9:37 am

• Peter Jorgensen

October 13, 2021 at 9:37 am

disregard

• G Johns

October 13, 2021 at 7:07 pm

I’m thinking whatever batteries are originally installed will slowly change as better tech becomes available.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 16, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Long term lfp is a great fit for the base and 400 mile version. This will simplify suspension since it will get the models more close in weight. Probably will take 1-2 years as it’s very different engineering.

• pistonboy

October 16, 2021 at 7:17 pm

At one time, one of the cofounders said the batteries came from LG Chem.

However, if you look at this video at time 13:00 the batteries have Samsung printed on the side of them.

https://youtu.be/69_iKArvJBk?t=780

• Harry Parker

October 17, 2021 at 7:15 am

They are building their own batteries of their own lightweight design. They have stated they are testing standard battery cells from different manufacturers. The cells in the alpha versions may not be the cells used in production. Who knows — they may even be from multiple qualifiied sources to help ensure a sufficient supply.

• John Trotter

October 17, 2021 at 11:49 am

I doubt they are building batteries. There are plenty of suppliers willing to sell batteries to an up-and-coming e-vehicle builder. However, they certainly do need to built their own battery packs and, perhaps, BMS (battery management system). That can be their secret sauce.

• Jeff Sampson

October 18, 2021 at 11:17 am

I got “a guy” for that….

• John Malcom

October 18, 2021 at 11:32 am

Aptera has a proprietary format for battery packs assembled from the same batteries in Tesla Model 3’s (Size 2170). They will buy the batteries and assemble the packs as their process is faster and more efficient therefore less expensive and time consuming.

Great for us too have it done faster and cheaper.

Glad there is a consistent emphasis on efficiency!!!!!!!

Before you ask, I don’t know the supplier or if the batteries will be the newer LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate)

• Curtis Cibinel

October 18, 2021 at 12:59 pm

I’ve not heard of any vehicles using cylindrical LFP but they do apparently do exist. I found these 21650 (slightly shorter than Tesla 2170(0) batteries). I did the math on these cells and the density is 110 wh/kg – some might be better. https://www.batteryspace.com/a123-lifepo4-26650-rechargeable-cell-3-3v-2500-mah-50a-rate-8-25wh-anr26650m1b—un38-3-passed-and-iec-listed.aspx

At the current scale Aptera is likely wanting to keep it simple with one battery format and supplier (likely NCA to allow for the 1000 mile range). As they scale new batteries may be used but I suspect they would prioritize cylindrical as anything else is a massive redesign.

PS: Ignore the price. That is when buying individual cells online for very specific small scale applications like RC cars. The point is the option exists and companies are making them.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now