Storage Mode

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Storage Mode

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Storage Mode

• john Bussjaeger

October 4, 2021 at 12:59 pm

I’m just requesting a Storage Mode for the car UI; you can make it functional in a later update but initially, the car is completely disabled while in Storage Mode and must be taken out of this mode to function again. I’m thinking of when one goes on vacation for months at a time or the car is unused for the winter season.

Later, this can do things like disable all power usage, wireless everything, limit charging to 70%, maybe turn off the computers except for a weekly crontab and some emergency notification mode when battery goes too low. Lithium batteries don’t last at 100% charge all the time so the car shouldn’t sit for months topping off it’s batteries when it is not going to be used.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 4, 2021 at 1:31 pm

I’m 99.99986% sure there will be the ability to limit max charge levels… It’s commonplace and considered essential in modern EVs.

• Ray Holan

October 4, 2021 at 2:46 pm

Good point, John. I know many mainstream EV manufacturers protect the longevity of the battery pack by limiting charging to something like 90% of maximum capacity and limit discharge to 10% of capacity. It’s my understanding that lithium batteries, like our old buddies the lead-acid batteries, do not last long (i.e. number of discharge cycles is reduced — I mean the number of times you can discharge and recharge the pack) if charged to max and discharged to zero.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 4, 2021 at 3:10 pm

For example: I have a Kia Niro EV. It has a 67KWh battery pack. But only 64 kwh is usable. The rest is held as a buffer. As the battery degrades that buffer gets smaller.

I can set the charge limit to 10%, 20%, etc… 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% for either AC or DC charging. I usually leave it at 80% unless I’m going on a trip then I run it to 100% the night before.

Some batteries like the new tesla made-in-china LFP battery for the model 3 apparently tolerate being run to 100% regularly. I’m not sure how the chemistry is different. They may hold a higher charge rate on DC fast charging over 80% also, but I’m not positive.

• John Malcom

October 4, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Some parts of the UI have been demonstrated in the Alpha prototypes but certainly not all of its functionality. I believe that most if not all of the functionality has been developed and only tuning of that functionality will be done in conjunction with the Beta builds and subsequent prototype development. At this point, there will not be any major functional additions or changes only refinements and we will have to wait until more information is released in updates.

Altera engineers are quite innovative but are also cognizant of the state of the art of popular EV features. I think once the final version of the UI is released that all will find that like the Aptera in general, that the UI will exceed expectations.

Certainly control of charging (if it is ever needed 😜) will be controllable

• Llewellyn Evans

October 5, 2021 at 12:11 am

Storage mode. Do you mean like a master switch on the battery?

• john Bussjaeger

October 5, 2021 at 12:21 am

Many months of sitting unplugged it should do whatever protects the battery; disable features and yes, even maybe turn off the battery. If plugged in or in the sun with solar then it should limit charging and probably still disable most features. This could be like a built-in preset which sets max charge, disables any power using extras; could minimize security settings too.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 5, 2021 at 8:00 pm

i guess this can be the same physical plug to disable electrics after a crash, for fire fighters

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now