Stealthy by Design.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Stealthy by Design.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Stealthy by Design.

• Stealthy by Design.

• Ron Ledohowski

August 31, 2021 at 9:07 am

I’d be curious how seeable to police radar this is regarding distances. I’d assume a radar detector placed inside or installed would certainly have unique added advantages due to the Aptera’s shape and overall design, in relation to all other vehicles.

• John Malcom

August 31, 2021 at 1:29 pm

what would be the basis for making such an assumption and why would that be a significant design element? Don’t believe that testing would be part of any formal or informal testing regimens 😋

• Joshua Rosen

August 31, 2021 at 2:10 pm

There are plenty of things in the car that will reflect radar even if the composite shell doesn’t. Corvettes have always had fiberglass bodies, I would guess that they would be among the most ticketed cars.

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 2:25 am

A motorcycle also can get picked up; I think you are missing my point.

A semi is picked up easier at distance too.

I’m interested in the distance comparisons related to various vehicles given its aerodynamics and profile. Sure, use a Vette in the comparison; even include the upright position rider of a CanAm Spyder etc.

You might be surprised.

Someone upright on a bike, for instance, might register much quicker/sooner ie. further away as a target.

Stealthy Appearance (& Stealthy Quiet). Y/N? Company “defined” definitions! Think “outside” the BOX.

There’s marketing opportunities to be had in ALL data depending how best to present it. “Slippery (through the wind) & Stealthy (by Design);” to what degrees thereof clarified thru & by marketing.

Just another way to look at things.

“Outside the BOX” is what Aptera is all about. Boxes push wind & far from being slippery. Boxes are far from stealthy, rolling down the highway or otherwise.

Different vehicle, different approach, different thinking; different image, presentation & marketing opportunities.

• John Malcom

September 1, 2021 at 3:23 am

I see you have come out of stealth mode. Real name this time?

I guess you can extract marketing collateral out of any data. But in line with the theme of “Efficient EV” I don’t see the return on investment for testing, analyzing, and abstracting a tagline for “Stealth” vs. something more directly related to the most efficient EV travel

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 3:26 am

The nickname seems to change to real name as a bug on the website. It changes on its own BTW. Try it

Regarding the testing, there’s nothing complicated about it.

Anyway, marketing mode and background.

Many will equate the “Stealthy” (by Design) term with its Aerodynamics (& its Slippery Efficiency thru the air). Stealthily quiet too.

Simply own & then define the terms.

The Aptera is a rational choice for many & (perhaps) “under their radar”. 😉

Chevy, like a ROCK… Is it?

Is the Cybertruck really (pistol) bullet proof and what does that mean to you?

Was the introduction of the first Mac really a “REVOLUTION” (remember the commercials)? More examples required?

*SIDE POINT: I bet the “Heat Signature” on the Aptera is substantially lower than most vehicles too, given its composite construction, its electrification and the in wheel hub motors.

Thinking of aircraft connections (wingless flight) for Cool (&/or sexy) Factor marketing.

It all adds to the tech perception & imageries.

• Joshua Rosen

September 1, 2021 at 7:44 am

Stealth matters if someone is firing missiles at you, hopefully that’s not a common occurrence on the Interstates. No manufacturer is going to put any effort into making their car stealthy and even if it was relatively stealthy they would never call attention to it. The last thing they need is to get on the DOT’s s**t list. If someone want’s to make a study of the stealthiness of various cars that would probably make for a pretty popular Youtube channel but it’s not something any car company can participate in.

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 8:21 am

It’s funny how you take the extreme/literal interpretation. My framing of the subject has no affect did it. ROFL.

Cybertruck is bulletproof too, ya know. Only gangsters need apply? LOL

I’m done on the topic as the point & explanation appears to have been lost with “some” & taking it way out of intended context or exercise.

• John Malcom

September 1, 2021 at 9:12 am

Ha, I don’t think you get the drift here.

Mr. Rosen and myself for that matter, are in the target group for sales of an Aptera and we think this is so far out in left field that it would not entice us or many other in the target group to buy an Aptera. The stealth idea is not consistent with the overall theme of Aptera as the most efficient, environmentally friendly, transportation in the world and in fact, detracts from that theme.

Why would a company spend their scarce marketing funds to do testing and develop collateral that would not directly support the primary theme? As I am sure you have noted during your time on the forum, most of the enthusiasts here are pretty EV tech savvy and driven by the imperative of environmental consciousness and responsibility.

If you read Sarah’s (Aptera’s CMO) background, you will find that she started and built a company who’s concept is that you can market and sell best by appealing to peoples “Values” To understand this approach go to this URL and listen to her pitch on this approach from a previous life. (Before working for Aptera)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz4sBuuzycU

I like you, am from the old marketing regimen. Sarah has converted me. We need to change to help our companies be successful. I see this approach especially necessary when trying to attract Millennials. (Projected to be the driver of future EV market growth) as they are values based and least impressed with meaningless tag lines.

I currently work as a process and engineering consultant for a large, legacy, auto maker trying to break into the EV market and not being successful. They use “Legacy” approaches to marketing and sales. If I were in their marketing group I would advise them to fire their marketing planners and try to steal Sarah away from Aptera (I am sure not possible). She, and her approach, is the secret sauce that will make Aptera’s great engineering successful in the market place and will beat the pants off of the company I currently work for in the market segment where they overlap.

Take a cue from her and rethink you views on marketing

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 9:32 am

Try reading this in normal portrait mode on a phone as would most millennials, BTW. LOL.

What do Easter Eggs, bullet proof Cybertrucks, & playing video games in your car have to do with your purity of EV focus? Camping? Dog accessories?

ANSWER: Nothing & “EVERYTHING”.

HINT: Cool FACTOR, functionality… (perhaps for some) & something to talk about!

NO you don’t know my background and YES I too am in the market for one. Don’t assume you are the only profile &/or target or that you are expert.

• Joshua Rosen

September 1, 2021 at 12:49 pm

As someone who grew up on the South Side of Chicago I can appreciate the value of a bullet proof truck, if I were still living there I’d consider a Cybertruck. While my mother was still alive I’d visit her every month or two. I’m not fond of highways so I’d insist that the cab driver take 55th street instead of the expressway to go from Midway Airport to Hyde Park. 55th St cuts a neighborhood that makes Kabul look like Mayberry. My mother would freak out when she heard the route I took and tell me about all of the drive by shootings that happened in the last week. What’s more the cab drivers would also be very unhappy and these were mostly guys from the Middle East.

• John Malcom

September 1, 2021 at 5:08 pm

I do not consider myself an expert at marketing although I have held business development positions with marketing as a subset

I am an engineer and change management/process improvement person. I consider myself closest to an expert in R&D of vehicles and spacecraft and transitioning them to production. That is why large manufacturing companies hire me as a consultant both in the auto and aerospace industries.

I am a Baby Boomer so have been around a long time. Most of the important lessons I have learned in the R&D/Production space I learned form having difficult and unexpected experiences in the transition from R&D to production.

I believe SO STRONGLY in the value of Aptera at this particular time. It is almost like a perfect storm (In a good sense) cam along at the right time (Serendipity?) They have great management completely focused on their goal, committed engineers, and cutting edge marketing concepts. I admire this team SO MUCH and the product they are producing.

Many good to great ideas are generated by members of this forum. However the time is past for those ideas to be incorporated into this iteration of the Aptera. Great team, great product and I am convinced that they have great plans. We have 120 days before the scheduled first customer delivery. When you have both a great product and a great team you leave them alone and have confidence in them. We should be cheer leaders at this point so close to the finish line. We need to let our “Idea egos” go for a while and circle back for the next iteration.

So many times I have seen good things fail because the team lost focus trying to please everybody. This team will listen attentively and politely to us. Lets not distract them at this point.

I understand you are a marketing person, I believe for a hotel in Winnipeg? If I have said anything in this forum to offend you I apologize sincerely

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Close enough. Retired. Appreciated. Accepted. Greetings from the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, CANADA now. Thanks.

• Ron Ledohowski

September 1, 2021 at 5:24 am

“Give My Creation Life” – Young Frankenstein

0:31

downloadfile-8

0:31

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now