State Electric Vehicle Incentives

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions State Electric Vehicle Incentives

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions State Electric Vehicle Incentives

• State Electric Vehicle Incentives

Rodney Kagy updated 1 week ago 5 Members · 8 Posts
  • V pilot

November 24, 2021 at 5:54 pm

Can/will Aptera open a “showroom” in states that do not allow direct vehicle sales in order for buyers to get state incentives/rebates?

• Joshua Rosen

November 25, 2021 at 7:06 am

Check the rules in your state. I’ve gotten two MA rebates in the past, for a Volt and a Model 3, the process is to fill out a form with the registration number. The Volt was bought in NH the Tesla was delivered in MA, state didn’t care where I bought it only that I registered it in MA and that I paid them their sales tax. The rules for which vehicles qualify are different in every state. The Aptera is an autocycle not a car and that will effect the rebate amount. We are a year away from the first deliveries so things can change in that time, for example the wording of the rebate rule in MA says Electric Vehicle but the list of eligible vehicles is all cars, no motorcycles are included. There is a bill concerning autocycles that’s been sitting in the legislature, if that passes that will change a bunch of rules for autocycles but I don’t know if it will effect rebates.

Some states limit the rebates to cars that are sold through dealers, others only care that you’ve registered it in the state. The rebates may apply to cars only or depending on the state motorcycles might also have a rebate. The only way for you to tell is to look up your state’s rules.

• V pilot

November 25, 2021 at 7:52 am

Yes, there are a lot of “if’s” between now and when deliveries get scheduled. Unfortunately I live in the Draconian state of NY, that does not allow direct sales of motor vehicles to the public. I know Tesla is leading the fight to change the franchise laws but it’s a serious uphill battle. They have a small grandfathered in foothold here for their showrooms. Here the rebates have to go directly through a stealership at point of purchase. Currently none of the “startup” EV manufacturers are on the list, only the legacy auto companies.

• Joshua Rosen

November 25, 2021 at 10:36 am

Tesla has showrooms in New York, franchise laws can’t stop a company from having a showroom, all they can do is stop them selling you the car or delivering it at that location. The sale is over the Internet and the delivery will be from an independent trucking, the car leaves Aptera’s possession in Cal when they put it on the truck, they are not technically doing the transaction in New York. The commerce clause in the Constitution prevents states from interfering with interstate commerce, the only exception is alcohol and that’s because we never fully repealed prohibition.

New York is free to deny rebates to people who bought their cars out of state, that’s because the rebate is an entirely in state process. I don’t know what their rules are, you will have to look them up.

• Cosme Tome Melendez

November 27, 2021 at 5:44 am

Maybe Aptera open the option to pick up the autocycle in the Plant, I will be glad to move to San Antonio in a single trip, and receive my Aptera directly from them, at same time it will be a great opportunity to meet people there, I am dreaming…

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 2:07 pm

The manufacturing takes place in San Diego CA, not San Antonio TX

• Rodney Kagy

November 28, 2021 at 7:33 pm

The latest version (10/28/2021) of the BUILD BACK BETTER bill (HR 5376) discusses the $7,500 rebate for 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles – see page 1249 of the bill. The bill has passed the house but there will be problems in the senate.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now