Standard Autobody Hydraulic Vehicle Lifts

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Standard Autobody Hydraulic Vehicle Lifts

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Standard Autobody Hydraulic Vehicle Lifts

• Standard Autobody Hydraulic Vehicle Lifts

Keith Happ updated 1 week, 1 day ago 6 Members · 7 Posts
  • Keith Happ

October 10, 2021 at 11:17 am

Taking in the shape of the hydraulic Lifts and the shape of the Aptera and that New York State Yearly Inspection & Gravity are both laws. I can’t help but picture the back of the Aptera dangling off of the lilts each year. I recently went to my local repair shop and they told me that their lifts will not support 3 wheeled vehicles. In their defense, they do not work on motorcycles (Slingshot) and there aren’t any 3 wheeled cars. Has anyone else looked into this? Should Aptera create a video showing us how the car will be placed on a lift so a mechanic can inspect the brakes or rotate the tires?

• Leonard Nowak

October 10, 2021 at 12:09 pm

As you know Aptera is registered as a motorcycle in most states, so does this yearly inspection apply to your question?

Aptera has only been using floor jacks at least in the background pictures and videos

They have mentioned designated lift points at the front arms and in that back wheel area, all which will be in a manual/ possibly even on info screen, at some point.

• Ken Bolinsky

October 10, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Adding to what Len said, there’s no reason to assume Aptera won’t offer this very, very basic information! Remember that the three alpha prototypes are little more than “proof of concept” exercises – they’re merely physical representations of a design that – up until recently – has existed solely inside a computer: Noir, Sol and Luna are NOT the Aptera vehicle that will go on sale.

That said, people see an alpha with the windows rolled down and assume, A) the Aptera has no windows or B), the Aptera has no AC. They don’t see a windshield wiper so they assume that Aptera has no windshield wiper. What amazes me is that they also don’t see a kangaroo duct-taped to the roof of the Aptera and assume the vehicle won’t be available in Australia…

• Paul Schultz

October 10, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Due to the contours of the Aptera body there is not the standard 4 lifting points that a typical car has. Using a 4 arm lift, if possible, would take some sort of special adapters. But, we still need to see what serviceable components require underbody access.

If the consideration is the use of a 4 wheel riser/lift. The type that tires rest on two parallel tracks then some sort of cross member that the rear wheel would rest on would be needed.

This could also be a method for transporting an Aptera on a standard car transport trailer which also has parallel tracks. For the issue of an auto transport trailer the rear wheel could rest in a cradle that has 2 wheels on each side. This would functionally make the Aptera rest on a 4-wheel system for these situations. These cradles could be circulated back-forth to the Aptera factory for re-use by the transport company.

Paul

• Joshua Rosen

October 10, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Will lifts be necessary to service an Aptera or is jacking up one wheel at a time sufficient? Are all serviceable components accessible from the top?

As for inspections, the MA bill that’s currently in the legislature that removes the helmet and Class M license requirements maintains the classification of autocyles as motorcycles for the purposes of inspection. I don’t know anything about the motorcycle inspection process aside from the fact that the fee is $15 vs $35 for cars. Obviously you don’t put motorcycles on a lift so there can’t be a requirement that the inspection involve one.

• Rob Spruijt

October 12, 2021 at 12:52 pm

I think Joshua is right: the construction is such that the underside doesn’t provide access to anything; it would be useless to put it on a lift. The rear wheel well is serviceable from the side.

• Keith Happ

October 12, 2021 at 1:01 pm

I would first like to thank you all for commenting on my post.

As I read them I thought if it registered as a Motorcycle or Auto Cycle then I should be going to Motorcycle Shops. I recently went to two in my area of Long Island NY and both are very interested in seeing the Aptera when I get it and both said they would definitely inspect it and if and when work needs to be done on it I can bring it to them.

If anyone reading this lives on Long Island NY just ask and i will post the names and addresses of these shops.

Keith

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now