Sounds

• Sounds

• Joey Lao

September 26, 2021 at 8:35 am

With how quiet the car is, will it need to generate artificial sounds to let pedestrians know it’s there? Not sure if there’s any requirement for that but thinking for blind pedestrians or similar use case.

• John Malcom

September 26, 2021 at 9:46 am

Some jurisdictions require by law that EVs generate these sounds. Aptera will have the capability to comply with the law and also be a factor in having a safe car for pedestrians as well as occupants. Aptera will look out for everyone!

• kerbe2705

September 26, 2021 at 9:59 am

In the US it’s actually a Federal requirement that all EVs and Hybrids produce some level of warning sound up to 30 kph/18.6 mph: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/02/26/2018-03721/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standard-no-141-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric

I work with a number of visually-impaired individuals and they’ve explained that what they hear from motor vehicles is, first and foremost, tire noise. With ICE vehicles the majority of engine noise is emitted from the rear of the vehicle, as exhaust: My VI friends say that they can tell if a car is ICE or EV only as it passes.

Plus, as all ICEs make more-or-less the same sound, people can identify that sound as “engine noise”. With every EV making its own synthesized sound – and all of those sounds being different – it will be difficult for people to determine just what they’re hearing.

• Leonard Nowak

September 26, 2021 at 10:11 am

When the SOL passed me “at a hi speed (mph not known) the in-wheel motors made a winding sound outside/around the vehicle. Granted this is just an alpha vehicle and the front aero covers were not on so the front wheel cover are open…. We shall hear/see…..end of 2021 where we on on this one!

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 27, 2021 at 7:19 pm

i wonder if speaker sound can replicate engine sound and to what extent, with sound chambers and variable valves and the such (somewhat like to yamaha treatment of lexus LFA and LC500 v8). many say even the latest attempts to do so fail and sound shitty almost all the time. but some are rather ok with it.

there was a exhuast kit that tried to modify a inline 4 sounds so it sounded like different engines of the same displacement (v8 i6 v10 etc). too bad i forgor the name, not sure how accurate the emulation was. it used both mechanical valve and chamber manipulation of engine noise as well as speakers toghther.

<font face=”inherit”> i wonder how it would work with freepiston concept (both electric drive version and the gas pressure version, maybe in combination), there is no combustion revving momentum b/c combustion doesnt need fuel injection to stay in momentum as much for effeincy. and then theres toyota planning to combust hydrogen even in production car (no joke). </font>

a twist on traditonal hydrogen drivetrain: <font face=”inherit” style=”background-color: transparent; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”>theres also “e fuel” of volkswagen (“p</font>orsche<font face=”inherit” style=”background-color: transparent; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; letter-spacing: 0px;”>”) and others. and theres that electric drive “solid state hydrogen laser cassete” thing sandy munroe was talking about on “e is for electric” youtub channel. and theres that goopy play-dough form of hydrogen fuel too that i forgot the name of.</font>

• Joshua Rosen

September 28, 2021 at 7:41 am

I hope they pay attention to noise deadening. The one thing I really don’t like about my Model 3 is how noisy it is, it has a tremendous amount of road noise. My Volt was much quieter and that was essentially a low end Chevy.

• kerbe2705

September 28, 2021 at 3:10 pm

The newer builds of the Model 3 are significantly quieter – and will be quieter, still, as they switch over to cast subframes. The addition of acoustic glass in the door and roof windows REALLY makes a difference.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 28, 2021 at 11:15 am

Yes, it’s a legal requirement in the US. Here’s what my Niro EV does. It has a speaker in the front bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZwVJPN0Ow

• Llewellyn Evans

September 28, 2021 at 2:49 pm

How about a sonar Ping sound that increases in frequency as you get closer to any object behind.

ping…….ping….ping..pingpingpinping

• David Marlow

September 28, 2021 at 2:52 pm

It should not be hard to give us a choice of sounds.

I would like to have a choice of the Jetsons car sound.

• kerbe2705

September 28, 2021 at 3:08 pm

I would like that very much, myself – although I fear it may be copyrighted, this video notwithstanding… https://youtu.be/LnT1VgeXOF0

• kerbe2705

September 28, 2021 at 3:19 pm

This is the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert Sound) of my Honda Clarity pulling into and out of the garage. The only place you can really hear it is when it’s indoors – and it cuts out at 12 mph. The 2020 models, though, have the same sound only significantly louder – and it plays until the regulation speed of 18.6 mph (30 kph) is reached. https://youtu.be/2kdb3D29Wmc

• Peter Jorgensen

September 28, 2021 at 3:46 pm

I would just like to be able to upload a custom sound…

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now