September 8, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Aptera https://youtu.be/EVVLlJ7Tnuc

See 12:54 for Solar Cell (solution):
    https://youtu.be/c6hs0-42Fxg

It’s a Canadian company to consider.
    https://www.lightleafsolar.com/

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 8, 2021 at 5:39 pm

That Bean trailer in the link you gave, protecting a polycarbonate window from gravel and debris with a…solar panel? Hmmm.

Definitely something Aptera could look at.

Thanks for the links.

• Alain Chuzel

September 15, 2021 at 7:21 am

Would love to see how the Light Leaf Solar modules hold up to 80 MPH pebbles rather than fluffy snow balls…(see gif below). Try to carefully watch where “snowball” hits and is it really a snowball or just a lose bunch of snow?

• Ron Ledohowski

September 8, 2021 at 5:43 pm

The trailer thing is for some context and some background only.

Referring to the actual cells and curvature needed etc. Don’t lose that. Custom adaptation to Aptera spec.

Go to the solar panel manufacturer’s site https://www.lightleafsolar.com/custom

Check out the custom link above followed by the gleaf link.

• Roshiyu

September 8, 2021 at 7:51 pm

I wonder if I could custom order an oversized solar spoiler, and throw that onto the back of my aptera? XD

• Alain Chuzel

September 16, 2021 at 7:45 am

I can make you one.

XD

• Llewellyn Evans

September 9, 2021 at 5:36 am

Panels that curve in one direction are not a problem. I think he mentioned the curve being a compound curve ….. can’t just bend a flat cell into a compound curve without big strain. Hence the comment in the video about delamination and longevity. Perhaps smaller cells with a simple curve and cast the compound curve into the encapsulent to achieve the correct surface shape. Could help in some future Aptera product, after everything is up and running. Just spitballing.

• Llewellyn Evans

September 9, 2021 at 6:02 am

Pushing a compound curve into a cell may affect the band gap energy.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/sony-creates-curved-cmos-sensors-that-mimic-the-eye

• Llewellyn Evans

September 9, 2021 at 9:28 pm

That means it can impact efficiency of the solar panel.

Could somebody who is a bigger nerd than me please post something? I can hear crickets.

• Alain Chuzel

September 15, 2021 at 6:51 am

SunCat Solar, LLC and others have been doing (and testing) lightweight/flex (or rigid) compound curved solar arrays for decades (primarily for solar race cars. See photo below of “junk cell” prototype. While there are some interesting tradeoffs with compound curves, I’ve never heard of the possible band gap energy problems.

• Llewellyn Evans

September 15, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the insight, it is a relief.

I guess the article does not apply because this the situation here is quite different. Thanks again!!😅

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 9, 2021 at 7:46 am

The language used seems so fluid: “modules”, “panels”, “cells”… At this stage it appears that individual cells are adhered to the body panels and then covered in a transparent protective coating. The animation suggests that individual cells will be replaceable but the speaker refers to upgradeable panels.

We know that the hood (bonnet), roof, hatch and tail-top are all discrete units that are attached to the underlying structure of the vehicle so would each of those (and the dashboard) be the mentioned “solar modules”? Would upgrading the solar system mean replacing those body panels and NOT replacing individual solar cells?

• Alain Chuzel

September 15, 2021 at 7:02 am

Great questions/comments Kenneth! It is hard to know what the intent is when the language is fluid. My best guess is they are likely to have replaceable panels (somewhat synonymous with module) rather than individual cells. The problem is that some panels could be rather big. I have been working on ideas for replaceable cells to keep replacement costs down. It’s tricky….

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 15, 2021 at 10:08 pm

There are only five body panels that contain solar cells: Hood, dashboard, roof, hatch and tail. Aside from the hatch the panels are composite shells so, while ungainly, they won’t be exceptionally heavy: Even the hatch is probably only a two-person lift.

In another post there’s an image of the cells in body panel mold: I’m guessing the intent is to “cast” the cells into the panel’s resin, making it monolithic. In all of the close-up photos of the vehicle there appear to be no seams around the individual cells.

The most cost effective repair (and haven’t we seen this with Tesla?) is to ship a complete replacement panel to the owner, along with detailed instructions for demounting the old panel and installing the new one.

I wonder if the six cells on the tail won’t manage to disappear from the production vehicle: They seem to be in a particularly vulnerable location and having to replace an entire panel for six cells… Perhaps the wider body of the beta prototypes will allow more cells to be mounted on the hood and roof, negating the need for the tail cells…

• Alain Chuzel

September 17, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I wasn’t thinking of “body panels” so much as “solar panels”. I’m sorry to have only added to the confusion…

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 12, 2021 at 5:52 pm

old forum had this plus a plant based transparent plastic that directed much of the light from the soaked by surface to its edges, so small solar panel at edges harvested light. There was different colors, and more colors in development at the time article that was linked to was written.

there was another liquid inside glass/plastic fully transparent solar panel being advertised for buildings, another blue tinted one.

• BMW Bloch

September 13, 2021 at 2:44 am

This aptera video update was very disappointing to me. Everything can be bought off the shelve / is existing technology, except the solar cells integrated into the body.

In all their previous videos I gained the impression they had figured that out. But in this maker video it became clear they yet have to figure it out …

• Alain Chuzel

September 15, 2021 at 7:06 am

In this 30+ year experienced specialty solar module designer/fabricator’s mind, ditto……

• BMW Bloch

September 13, 2021 at 2:49 am

As a possible solution they may want to look at these cells for automotive bodies developed by the Fraunhofer Institute and OPES Solutions:

https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/10/opes-fraunhofer-present-standardized-solar-module-for-vehicles/

• Peter Jorgensen

September 13, 2021 at 1:41 pm

I took this update to mean that they had working cells – but they wanted to improve them more before rolling them out. Which is probably why Noir and Sol had different solar hood appearances – and none of them have the solar rear hatch yet. (We’ll see if Luna got a solar rear hatch).

In any case, I’m not super concerned about the solar as long as it doesn’t hold them up. I don’t mind taking delivery of my aptera with no solar if I have to but it’s a huge bonus to have it… The dash is probably not a compound curve and should be easy to work with – but the roof, hood, and hatch might cause more careful development to be needed.

Full moon is in 1 week – Hopefully we’ll see Luna then?

• Henry Kitt

September 13, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Yes, I definitely want for the alpha Luna to have the full solar package, and I want them to leave it parked outside and run tests on its solar efficiency daily. I think, though, that they’ve basically completed their solar engineering for this iteration and just want to see which of their 3 or so resin options provides the best mix of efficiency and durability/protection.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 15, 2021 at 10:12 pm

At one point I asked if there would be a non-solar option and was told that it was a “possible future consideration”. The “basic solar” package (dashboard, roof, tail) is supposed to generate up to 16 miles of range per day – I’m guessing the dashboard alone would be enough to run the flow-through ventilation system in hot weather.

• Pistonboy

September 17, 2021 at 11:16 pm

I don’t know how the solar mechanical lead guy is with solar cells, but he sure is chic.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now