Side view mirrors

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side view mirrors

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side view mirrors

• Side view mirrors

Guy SKEER updated 1 day ago 22 Members · 42 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

October 21, 2021 at 7:26 am

They have been counting on using camera’s instead of side mirrors but those still haven’t been legalized in the US. The rule making for side camera’s started two years ago but apparently there has been no progress on the issue. Elon tweeted that Tesla is going to make the mirrors removable on the Cybertruck so that customers can take them off themselves. I doubt if he ran that tweet by his lawyers before he made it but assuming that it would be legal to do that does Aptera have any plans to do the same. Have the side camera’s plus some removable mirrors for regulatory purposes. Side camera’s are legal in the EU and frankly they should work much better than mirrors which tend to have a very limited field of view plus the drag from mirrors is pretty bad.

• G Johns

October 21, 2021 at 7:33 am

I like it.

Why are govment so slow(years) agreeing to good change. It’s a power thing?. I gots the power so i’ll do it when i feel like it?. and make you wait cuz i can?. SAD!.

• Leonard Nowak

October 21, 2021 at 7:34 am

In one of the recent Aptera interviews ( Maybe K. Dirksen’s?) Chris mentioned a reflective mirror/ camera lens might be a possibility on this motorcycle registered vehicle???

🤞

• Joshua Rosen

October 21, 2021 at 7:49 am

In the Jay Leno piece he said he was hoping for a rule change so it doesn’t sound like they are convinced that they can get away with cameras because they are classed as a motorcycle. Maybe they can add some fold down mirrors that will fold flat against the car. I have no doubt that camera’s will be safer than mirrors. We also don’t allow matrix headlights in the US, supposedly those are much better than our current headlights but the US government operates at the speed of molasses in January so while the EU has had them for a while it could be years before we get them in the US.

• Lou Verner

October 21, 2021 at 9:29 am

Does anyone know how this issue applies to rear view camera? Certainly would need to be approved in case of using hatch solar.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 21, 2021 at 9:52 am

Not relevant for the rear solar hatch. Only two mirrors are required worst case for motorcycles and cars – Usually left and either center or right. Case in point is delivery vans, motorhomes, pickup trucks with toppers, etc. Many of those have no visibility from the center mirror, and many have been replaced with camera mirrors. They don’t count towards the “rearview mirror” requirement but it doesn’t matter as long as you have left and right outside mirrors.

Now for customers preferences, it may be more important… But it should be pretty easy to put in a cheap glass mirror for those who don’t have a solar hatch.

• Lou Verner

October 21, 2021 at 10:10 am

Thanks Peter…hadn’t thought that through. You’re right that many other vehicles lack rear view center mirror, but having driven such vehicles, they’ve always compensated with use of extra large side view mirrors. Definitely not a good option for Aptera from either aesthetic or Cd point of view!

• Paul Evans

October 22, 2021 at 12:50 pm

I used to have a 39′ RV with a rear view camera with a 170 degree wide angle lens. It had an intermittent short circuit that stopped it from working. It freaked me out when it went offline. I discovered it would work after I rebooted the RV (pull off road, turn ignition off, then restart).

It was one of those “don’t leave home without it” kind of things.

• Hans Roes

October 21, 2021 at 10:15 am

Personally, I’m not convinced yet that cameras are safer than mirrors. They certainly are different and offer different opportunities but with a mirror I can easily move my head to get a different view of what is behind me. Can’t do that with a mirror.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 21, 2021 at 1:51 pm

This video presents the pros / cons pretty clearly. They really do give a lot of advantages and the rule change is well overdue. The alternative for the aptera is a drag inducing mirror which is as small as legally allowed (far less safe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n018ZI2xvc

• kerbe2705

October 21, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Cameras make a big difference for night driving as there’s no headlight glare from vehicles behind you.

• kerbe2705

October 21, 2021 at 8:22 am

Note, too, that the rulings don’t disallow the use of wing cameras – they just require the use of wing mirrors. I’m not certain if they specify size and shape of those mirrors, but I believe they specify that they must be door-mounted (as opposed to the Japanese practice of fender-mounted wing mirrors).

• Patrick Liebknecht

October 21, 2021 at 4:58 pm

The rules are different in each state , if it’s a “car” in Maryland it only needs 1 drivers side mirror , if it’s a motorcycle , I needs 2 mirrors , one on each handlebar.

I was wondering if they could be mounted on the wheel pants ( provided the wheel covers bouncing about has been addressed )

• kerbe2705

October 21, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Stop and think: The wheel pants turn with the wheels – so anything mounted to them would also turn.

• Patrick Liebknecht

October 22, 2021 at 9:57 am

the wheel covers ( the painted bits that cover the wheel ) or in this case the wrapped bits that cover the wheels like fenders on a hotrod

• kerbe2705

October 22, 2021 at 11:43 am

Nope – the wheel pants are ATTACHED to the wheels and steer with the vehicle: They are NOT attached to the body of the vehicle.

• John Trotter

October 21, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Clean paper engineering would clearly favor cameras and screens. The video in Curtis’ comment is clear. Ultimately, curmudgeons and regulators will come around. Test drives will sell curmudgeons. Regulators may be harder, but finding the written basis of the regs would be an important part. Not just the regs themselves, but the accompanying explanation (“statement of consideration” or some such) that was provided when the regulations were made or modified. Lawyer stuff.

• Steven G. Bueche

October 22, 2021 at 2:40 am

My Model 3 has both side mirrors and cameras. I still use the mirror I think more out of habit than anything else. I always use the back camera as the Tesla is not known for very good rear views out the back window. I will however strictly use the camera for backing up.

As for my Aptera I don’t think it would be a deal breaker if they had to install cameras. Yes there will be drag but at the ranges it’s getting I don’t think it will effect overall range or performance.

I’m sure the folks at Aperta can make a mirror that is low in drag and meet requirements to satisfy all states.

• Joshua Rosen

October 22, 2021 at 6:31 am

The Model 3 doesn’t have mirror screens all it does is present a cartoon of the cars around you. That’s helpful but it doesn’t really replace mirrors, I use both. The Honda E, which we don’t get in the US because of it’s awful range, has screens at the corners of the dash that replace mirrors and are used like mirrors. Reviewers seem to love them an I can see where they would be able to do a much better job than mirrors which have a very restricted view. The pictures of the Aptera seem to show Honda E like screens.

• Russell Fauver

October 22, 2021 at 4:05 am

I like the idea of removable exterior mirrors. In my home state of South Carolina exterior mirrors are not required if the driver has a clear view out of the back of the vehicle. So an Aptera with the solar hatch would need outside mirrors but one without the solar hatch could remove them. SC does require a mirror on motorcycles but that mirror could be mounted inside the Aptera and still meet the code.

• Arlen Bell

October 22, 2021 at 6:23 am

It would seem simple enough to make a small (is there a regulatory minimum size?) mirror that would slip over the camera mount and not block the camera. If/when the mirror/camera issue is resolved it could be easily removed.

• John Trotter

October 22, 2021 at 9:16 am

Imho gadgets added for regulation, not use, waste time and resources. Not the Aptera way. Work harder on regulators to get them to see the light.

• Arlen Bell

December 2, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I agree in principle, BUT until regulators come around. . .

• Curtis Cibinel

December 2, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Aptera is a very insignificant dog in this fight. Tesla and others have been lobbying for this for years. Even for ICE cars cameras make a ton of sense. A short term solution is important.

• Patrick Liebknecht

October 22, 2021 at 10:00 am

There is also the regulation that you have to be able to see 200 feet behind the vehicle without obstruction from you or the car ( provided it’s a motorcycle ) it call comes to the MVA just how they feel that day LOL

• Daniel Crotty

November 7, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Install the camera that a bunch of us want, but Push a button causing the Mirror to move out and function. Push again and it moves back to a flat position. Sort of sucks to have to do that, but if its required, maybe we can run with them closed.

I’m still going to use the cameras, but it may meet the legal requirement.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 7, 2021 at 6:59 pm

I think the intention is they give you the cameras and the compliance mirrors. They bolt on and if you decide to risk it before the draconian laws change thats your own choice. Moving/complex parts is not a good solution.

• John Trotter

November 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Replace the lawyers, consultants, and lobbyists who are not doing their job of getting regulations to change. It happens, all the time. Don’t add gadgets. Do it right.

• GREG MIRICH

December 1, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Here is a thought on the side mirrors. Let Aptera install side view cameras but make a mirror that slides over the cameras and is removable by the owner. Once you register your car you have the option of removing the side view mirrors and use the cameras. Might be a way to get around the antiquated law.

• GLENN ZAJIC

December 1, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Gets my upvote! Becomes our responsibility not theirs.

• Oz Man

December 1, 2021 at 4:37 pm

I believe the legal term for that, in the indictments that would likely follow is “Accesory before the fact. “

• Ronster

December 1, 2021 at 4:47 pm

LMAO

• GLENN ZAJIC

December 1, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Next you will say that it doesn’t reflect well on the company😁.

• Ronster

December 1, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Hindsight is 20/20

• Lou Verner

December 2, 2021 at 7:49 am

Not always…passenger RVMs always carry warning that “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear” 🙃

• Oz Man

December 2, 2021 at 3:01 pm
          • Ray Holan

December 2, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Well, it’s clearly not a case of foresight! LOL

• Ronster

December 2, 2021 at 1:58 pm

“To see or not to see….that is the question” – Shakespeare

• Ronster

December 1, 2021 at 4:31 pm

My vote too, “absolutely”.

If the laws aren’t ready upon release, the change will still be forthcoming. Get ahead of the curve. Reminds me of autopilot hardware in preparation thereof. There’s no difference in my mind. Just do it!

Let’s hope that is their plan. Elon has suggested something “similar-ish” would happen with the Cybertruck regarding mirrors.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 1, 2021 at 8:43 pm

Lol I was thinking the same thing about a mirror wrapped on the camera post; when I noticed this thread was active I was planning to say that but you beat me to it.

Legally you can have cameras as long as you have mirrors. So make a bolt on mirrors cover that is the minimum legal size for a autocycle. When the law gets fixed or for anyone that wants to roll the dice you just unbolt it and glue in a plastic plug. Depending how cheap they want to make it you might need a wrench to adjust the mirrors since the camera stocks wounding be made to move.

Think about the amount of energy and fuel wasted in every vehicle on the road. Every vehicle could be 3% better range. That would save insane amounts of emissions. Once changed on a fairly global scope basically all evs and most gas vehicles will lose the mirrors.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

December 2, 2021 at 7:51 pm

somone said just make a plastic adapter for the mirror so it clamps onto the rectangular part of the camrea mirror and sits preferably at near driver behind camera holder, so it causes minimum drag. i guess blindspot can be included in camera with a fish eye lens covering a corner of the cameras field of view.

• Guy SKEER

December 7, 2021 at 7:10 am

Make the Rear View Devices Like Cellphones – have the camera Peering out of a Small Port on a Small Reflective Surface – Dual Use/Purpose. They would naturally Aim the Same View, but the Camera View (Due to the Magic of Refractive Lenses) could have Zoom, and Wide Angle Views.

When Parked, Have the Views be Wide Angle, so Security System could catch Keying/Bashing by Malefactors and accidents

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now