Should Apple buy Aptera Motors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Should Apple buy Aptera Motors?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Should Apple buy Aptera Motors?

• Should Apple buy Aptera Motors?

Curtis Cibinel updated 1 week, 6 days ago 14 Members · 21 Posts
  • Keith Derbyshire

November 19, 2021 at 11:29 pm

The Apple car is way too late and they cannot catch Tesla. Apple has no vehicle mass production experience, and it seems unlikely that they would be able to produce at scale. I think if Apple wants to be in this market, they should buy an existing company with a unique and compelling product. Aptera would be a great addition to the Apple brand and a fantastic platform for Apple full self driving technology. So in summary Apple, don’t bother chasing the mass market you have missed the boat, go for Aptera instead and bag the world’s most energy efficient vehicle.

• Riley -_-

November 20, 2021 at 12:40 am

If Apple, Tesla or any other large company buys Aptera than we can say goodbye to right to repair and anything remotely similar to what is currently offered with regards to specs/price/obsolescence. I hope that if it does happen its after I have an aptera in my driveway.

• Llewellyn Evans

November 20, 2021 at 12:54 am

Aptera is doing a fine job. Why do they need Apple?

What happened a decade ago? The CEO’s know what lies down that path.

I don’t like the idea of selling for a plethora of reasons.

• Lou Verner

November 20, 2021 at 1:59 am

Strongly agree with others that Aptera remain independent for reasons stated. Lots of other startups jumping in and agree many likely to fail, but clearly Apple is not too late given their deep pockets and likely strategy to have second party such as Foxconn do actual manufacturing.

• Henry Kitt

November 20, 2021 at 5:42 am

Apple I’ve realized is doing a different approach, not after the most efficient car of all time, but instead copying the Canoo route that has living room type seating and a skateboard capable of mass producing vehicle variations at scale. Though I do think they’ll target something like a .19 drag coefficient, if that doesn’t impede the interior comfort.

Elon tried to sell Tesla to Apple and they weren’t interested, and Aptera is the reinvention of the car, which will make whatever accomplishment Apple has not as impressive. The saving grace that Apple is after is to make the first fully autonomous vehicles with no steering wheel, in which they will probably fail in that regard, leaving Aptera as a better car company.

Apple will probably have right to repair by the way, since they just announced it for their phones.

• Joshua Rosen

November 20, 2021 at 6:55 am

Foxconn has gotten into the car manufacturing business, they have their own platform which they are trying to sell to other companies but of course Apple will have their own. Foxconn just bought the Lordstown plant which will give them a place to start production of an Apple car for the US market, for the world market Foxconn will build them in China.

Apple could have bought Tesla if they wanted to buy a car company but Tim Cook wouldn’t even return Elon Musk’s phone call. They have sunk a lot of cash into developing their own car, they aren’t going to buy anybody and certainly not Aptera.

• Paul Schultz

November 20, 2021 at 9:38 am

+1. This is spot on! Apple has a very strong relationship with Foxconn and the capacity of the Lordstown plant is massive. Foxconn is already going to manufacture the Fiskar vehicle as well as the Lordstown Motors Endurance. Even with their own vehicle platform this plant has a huge capcity. I could see an Apple-Foxconn relationship for building the Apple EV.

Paul

• BigSky

November 20, 2021 at 10:46 am

Goodness, I hope not. That would be the end of Right to Repair!

• Elzo Stubbe

November 20, 2021 at 10:48 am

And say goodbye to Steve and Anthony?? I think not!!!

• Curtis Cibinel

November 20, 2021 at 11:56 am

Tesla would be far more likely and even then I don’t think being seen as throwing their market weight around would be very good for PR. Their mission is to accelerate the transition but competition will be better for the industry.

Aptera and Tesla have fundamentally different manufacturing and supply chain approaches. A partnership to get their plug and FSD tech would be great but I wouldn’t count on that.

• Joshua Rosen

November 21, 2021 at 6:50 am

On the one hand Aptera doesn’t compete with anything in Tesla’s line, on the other hand Elon is record as not liking three wheelers. From a business point of view why would they be interested? Tesla is severely production constrained as it is, the wait for SRs is now almost a year and the Cybertruck and Semi have been pushed way out because they don’t have the batteries for them. In terms of holes in their product line, the big one is a smaller car for the European and Asian markets, the Aptera is not that.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 21, 2021 at 11:40 am

Elon’s quote on 3 wheelers is likely way out of context. Safe EV 3 wheelers didnt exist yet when he said that; Aptera is essentially the first. The Carver, Arcimoto (which Elon crashed), AKO Trike and Triggo are very much motorcycles and not very safe (although they do look really fun). Aptera will have a strong monocoque and airbags – not really similar in practice despite the same insurance classification.

PS: Check out the Triggo; really interesting variable wheel width suspension. They encourage using it to weave through traffic which seems a bit sketchy. Perhaps this suspension concept is something Aptera could use for Europe (narrow roads / parking).

• John Trotter

November 21, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Actually, Aptera will end up competing with the pending compact Tesla, the so-called $25,000 Tesla. Shanghai may be producing it within 18 months. I already have a Tesla and don’t want another, and two-seats fits our situation more than another four, but I’m sure A. management is keeping an eye on this.

• John Malcom

November 21, 2021 at 4:04 pm

Agreed on all accounts to include the ownership of a Tesla. The elephant in the room will be the 25K Tesla for all EVs in the market when it arrives.

I have confidence that Aptera management will continue their excellent performance and will plan and execute in such a manner as to insure Aptera’s success in the market place when production ramps up

• Curtis Cibinel

November 21, 2021 at 5:43 pm

No doubt Tesla will sell a ton of their low cost “$25000” (quite possibly after tax credit) car when it arrives. It will likely be a small, relatively slow 2 row car similar to many chinese EV compacts. It will be a great option for most people but will not be the best car for everyone. No doubt it will sell as many as they can make for years but Aptera is still a different vehicle. The EV industry is likely to remain supply constrained for 5-10 years as more people realize buying an ICE car is a terrible investment. Aptera is sporty, solar, and efficient so apart from starting price (and hopefully the plug) they have little in common.

The current Aptera’s market potential is perhaps 5-10% of people where the low cost tesla might be 30-40%. Many will choose other options just because they aren’t Tesla. Range per dollar will be Aptera’s biggest competitive advantage.

• Joshua Caldwell

November 22, 2021 at 1:34 pm

The Model 3 was supposed to have a $25k version… I rather doubt it will ever be done though given that their prices are actually rising.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 22, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Prices are rising due to insane demand while they make 30% per car. Tesla could still make some profit even at $35k if they wanted to but they have no reason to cut margins.

I doubt Aptera will make anywhere near that margin given the many outsourced components and low price. Unlike most that have targeted a premium car initially Aptera has decided to compete on cost from day 1.

• John Malcom

November 22, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Low price is a good strategy to reach the target Millenial/Gen Z market who are currently priced out of expensive EVs and are the most likely to respond to Eco arguments.

But, they also have high end models for those that want exclusivity or are more tech savvy with higher incomes.

Now, the key, is to get them out in the market place before the tsunami of EVs hit the market in 2022 and 2023

• Curtis Cibinel

November 22, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Even a fully loaded Aptera is fairly cheap compared to most EVs outside of china; its actually comparable to the base model 3. The Aptera is a bad option for families and is a sports car with great potential for travelling retirees.

Demand just shouldn’t be a problem for years so its a great time for companies to reinvest profits and build market share vacated by legacy autos.

• Joshua Caldwell

November 21, 2021 at 9:43 am

I hope Apple doesn’t get it. Given that they increased the price of phones from $300 to $1300, what will they do to the car industry or their specific car?

• Peter Jorgensen

November 22, 2021 at 7:23 am

Aptera has no interest in being “bought” and no need to do so. Being bought would disrupt their ability to reach production.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now