Seat height for entry

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Seat height for entry

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Seat height for entry

• Seat height for entry

• Richard Blackwood

November 8, 2021 at 3:40 pm

I currently drive a Subaru Forester and like the seat height. It makes it easy to get in and out of. After a weekend in a lower rental car, I suddenly realized how important entry height is in cars. Any idea of what the seat height is in the Aptera? The ground clearance looks decent, so I assume it’s up there, but does anyone have an actual measurement?

• Harry Parker

November 8, 2021 at 7:03 pm

The designers are still experimenting with the seat design. I expect that to continue throughout beta testing. So no, the seat design, including height and height range is not yet fully defined.

• Peter Dezendorf

November 11, 2021 at 7:13 am

I currently drive an Audi A5 Sportback. That seat height is the lowest my old knees and back can take. I love the idea of the Aptera vehicles, but I need to be able to get in and out.

BTW, the A5 SB is a great car. Strong acceleration and 40 mpg on the highway. If only it was an EV….

• Charles Kaneb

November 8, 2021 at 7:25 pm

The door opening will be very favorable for entry, but center-of-gravity height is very important for stability in a three-wheeler, and with the two occupants making up 20% of the weight of the car, I expect the seats to be as low as is practical. Figure on 4 inches of ground clearance, 4 inches of battery module height, and 2 inches of seat padding under the driver’s bottom, and no higher.

I would expect a height-adjustable seat to be optional.

• kerbe2705

November 8, 2021 at 8:03 pm

The alpha prototypes have 7″ of ground clearance – we’ve heard that the beta design might have slightly less.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 9, 2021 at 7:27 am

I just checked the solid model for the Alpha version:

Belly clearance: 9.66″

Pants clearance: 3.88″

Skirt clearance: 3.85″

On betas I’d expect 7″ belly clearance, 5″ skirt and pants clearance.

On off-road model I’d hope all those numbers are 2″ higher. If not I might look into designing a lift kit.

Beta is grey, Alpha is rainbow/green:

• Cameron McGuinness

November 11, 2021 at 6:21 am

I noticed in 1 of the videos that Sol’s wheel fairings are sporting some scratches.

• Dave Mckenna

November 12, 2021 at 6:47 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve sat in an alpha and found ingress and egress easier than my Miata. I’m 5′ 11″ and 64 years old.

• kerbe2705

November 12, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Consumer Reports noted that the Forester is one of – if not the best – vehicle sold in the US for ease of entrance and exit for the over-60 crowd.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 11:50 am

Yep and it has no door sills either – The floor just stops at the edge of the seat and its straight down to the ground from there. On the outback and crosstrek it comes up a few inches on the side to form a big door sill.

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 5:36 am

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread is the configuration of vehicle’s door opening when the door is raised.

In a typical crossover like a Subaru Forester (BTW my wife loves her 2017 Crosstrek), the roof opening starts approximately even with the side of the vehicle. The Aptera’s door opening in cut into the roof by a few inches. So, in effect, the seat “comes out to greet you” more so than the typical vehicle. That plus the seat height plus how tall or wide the driver is should be part of the ease of egress equation.

• Charles Lewis

November 15, 2021 at 11:46 am

Yes the seat height is important. We want it low for the best handling and high for the easiest entry and exit. So adjustable suspension is my preferred solution. Raise it up when going under 5 mph and lower when over 5 mph. Then include the option for free 😀

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 11:52 am

I’d pay extra for air suspension – But the asymmilar front control arm lengths may cause alignment issues… I just want to go up to 12 inches of clearance to deal with rutted roads and rocks. But we can all dream. I think it would be a good aftermarket opportunity. Aptera air suspension kit or lift kit… Looks like they have coilovers on the betas.

• George Hughes

November 15, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I’d actually like for the aftermarket genius who grasps the base potential of this mobility-focused smart machine with an advanced active suspension system that actually anticipates pot holes and provides precise pressure to the road at all times and so rides like it is flying.

I know active suspensions are more expensive but you might get about the same sensation with an active suspension component on the rear wheel, whether it is powered or not. That suggests an acceptable cost that starts out at one-quarter that of a traditional car and solves the fear that avoiding a pot hole with the front wheels just fails if you hit it with the trailing wheel.

And who knows what magic an active suspension might have on handling the additional weight likely to come in a three or four seat version.

I wonder if the relationship with Rousch is such that they may initiate that kind of thing. I suspect the kit to fit an active suspension to the trailing wheel might be a cool aftermarket kit as well.

I hope there are elements in the supplier companies that magnify the efforts of Aptera. Encouraging that kind of innovative thinking falls on all of us.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 15, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Raising the suspension would give better belly clearance but not effect the wheel pants, probably the part you want to raise the most.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 15, 2021 at 4:55 pm

The wheel covers are 5 inches (7 for the offroad kit) from the ground. They are also very close to the wheels so a change of slope would need to be very sharp. A typical vehicle has several feet of overhand from the wheel to the bumper – the aptera has inches to the edge of the wheel covers.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now