Regular Cruise Control

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Regular Cruise Control

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Regular Cruise Control

• Regular Cruise Control

Curtis Cibinel updated 1 month ago 5 Members · 12 Posts
  • Anna Santos de Dios

October 29, 2021 at 2:27 pm

Is the Safety Pilot upgrade the only way to get cruise control? I want this feature, but don’t care if it’s the adaptive version included with Safety Pilot, along with a number of other features that aren’t important to me. If all I want is basic cruise control, will it be included without Safety Pilot?

• Curtis Cibinel

October 29, 2021 at 4:23 pm

You will probably need to ask directly to Aptera via the contact us. It’s unlikely anyone on the forum will have any information on ye old cruise control. I expect the level 2 package is probably in most people’s reservations.

• Joshua Rosen

October 29, 2021 at 5:18 pm

It would be wise for them to make Safety Pilot a standard feature rather than an option. Standard ADAS makes a big difference to a cars safety rating. They will want to get an IIHS+ rating and they can’t do that unless ADAS is standard.

• John Malcom

October 29, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Can you furnish us the reference to this requirement?

If they did, then the price of each model would go up $1,300 😒

Don’t think we would get a $1,300 break on our insurance costs since Aptera is not a car. If licensed and insured as a motor cycle/auto cycle in states that consider it a motorcycle/autocycle you would not get a Safety Pilot discount for a motor cycle I don’t think

• John Malcom

October 29, 2021 at 6:25 pm

This question was answered in the old Forum. Standard cruise control is furnished with the Aptera.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 29, 2021 at 6:49 pm

Thanks John. Guess I was wrong ; someone on the forum did know. 😅

• John Malcom

October 29, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Yes

• Paul Schultz

October 30, 2021 at 8:20 am

I assume the Aptera will come with a forward facing camera as standard whether or not a person adds Safety Pilot as part of their vehicle build. This would make sense as adding Safety Pilot could be a simple software update if purchased separately after manufacturer. With these assumptions then adaptive cruise control without the need for Safety Pilot would be trivial. The vast majority of manufacturers are going to VOACC, visual-only adaptive cruise control. The software and processing required are now cost-effective and simpler than adding a separate forward radar device. So, ACC could, and should, be a standard feature as a minimum IMO.

Paul

• John Malcom

October 30, 2021 at 9:09 am

Only standard cruise control will come without safety pilot.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 30, 2021 at 9:30 am

Aptera is probably not starting from scratch. Some of the $1300 is likely hardware for processing but a good chunk is probably to pay for the license for the technology. Its good that relatively off the shelf systems exist and it lets Aptera get to feature parity without hundreds of millions (or more) in unique development thats great. I suspect the system probably is visual only but nothing specific is disclosed and if a forward radar helps get the results as a consumer most wont care. It would be really interesting to know how many people opted for safetypilot it but I suspect it will be very high (perhaps 70+%).

The infotainment computer (discussed in other threads has a most 2x A72 and 4x A53) is definitely not up to the challenge of AI labeling video. Achieving level 2 with video will need nearly the same processing power that they have in a Tesla (just way less advanced AI). I was curious about the power draw but assuming its under 100W (almost certain) it should be less than 2% impact on range even for an Aptera.

The price for the Aptera is very low for what they provide. Between parts and manual labor one can only speculate on their profit per unit as they scale but I think its safe to say they wont have the 30% margin of tesla. If a feature is made standard it just increases the base price.

• Paul Schultz

October 30, 2021 at 9:51 am

The comma.ai comma2 uses a circa 2016 cell phone with a snapdragon 821 and does very well for level 2 functionality. Using the Tesla chip specs is not necessarily the best comparison.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 30, 2021 at 10:22 am

Comma.AI also have no hardware redundancy and far slower labeling. Software and hardware continue to advance and it partially comes down to how overbuilt the hardware needs to be. I would very much like ECC and redundant processing in my safety systems. Quickly labeling and braking is kinda the main purpose of safetypilot.

Even if Aptera is using something similar in cost to Comma.Ai a bit of profit to test and integrate it as a factory option is quite reasonable.

Tesla HW3 has 12xA72 and 2 AI accelerators to process over 2000 fps redundantly (kinda a good thing with safety). For comparison the Aptera infotainment only has 1-2xA72 and the snapdragon 821 a quad core which is a little faster than an A72.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now