Range at Highway/Interstate Speeds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Range at Highway/Interstate Speeds?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Range at Highway/Interstate Speeds?

• Range at Highway/Interstate Speeds?

• DON RASKY

November 22, 2021 at 6:31 pm

I would like to know what the range reduction might be for an Aptera at 500 lbs rated capacity at highway speeds of 60 to 80 mph on relatively level to mountainous roads. While traffic jams slow things down during a commute, long stretches at 70 to 80 mph are routine where I live. Country roads in my region are below 60 mph but can require climbing several thousand feet in elevation. Not sure really whether to order a 400 or 600 mile range Aptera with front or all wheel drive. I am also recalling that any smallish vehicles moving in the 55 to 60 mph range do not fare well on the interstate, even in the slow lane. I’m thinking all wheel drive and the ability to zip away from the usual rude dump trucks and semis in the slow lanes might be a much needed advantage even if it costs me range.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 22, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Range definitely drops with speed but since the vehicle is light and very aerodynamic it isnt as bad as most. From these physics calculations the Aptera basically achieves similar functional range at all speeds with the base model to the model 3 using a battery of less than half the size.

Unlike range with stop city driving the calculation is very much basic physics calculations. The exact usable battery size, frontal area, weight and rolling drag are estimates but these numbers should give a general idea of how speed impacts range. I also included calculations for the model 3 and base 250 mile Aptera so you can see the the general idea. Based on these calculations the base Aptera and model 3 should have nearly identical degredation (note: exact usable battery might be off by 5-10% – this is about trending with speed not absolute values).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tuu7avKH2dS_JPk7aiP2av09a1f1WE0OvvNH6fdHpiQ/edit#gid=0

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 11:49 am

<<<THANKS>>> This is wonderful information. It pretty much makes the 400 mile, all wheel drive, Aptera a lock for me as a commuter vehicle and a regional driver. Being able to work from home since CV19, I take my Colorado diesel out on weekends to maintain the proper health of the engine and transmission and for when I manage to squeeze in a cross country drive to Wisconsin. I really want to stop commuting with my 30 mpg diesel with fuel costs approaching $5.00/gallon regionally and close to $5.00/gal all the way out to Arizona. I figure that if I downsize to the Aptera, acceleration and agility will be critical should I need to commute regionally after CV19. The last time fuel costs went to and above $5.00 where I live, no body slowed down it seemed. I had to slow down to get max fuel economy but there were a lot of aggressive drivers that were not so nice to my little Jetta diesel in the slow lane when I was driving 55 to 62 mph. I figure the all wheel Aptera could be just the little “zoom zoom” to get out of the way of the occasional rude semi, dump truck, or other large vehicle bearing down on me and the Aptera. With the Aptera, I might even be able to safely draft a few car lengths back of the slowest semi I can find and stay just in sight of his mirrors all the way to my destination. Again, many thanks for the numbers!

• Curtis Cibinel

November 23, 2021 at 2:01 pm

I’m in a similar boat. Working from home during covid. I also picked the 400 mile AWD (probably with offroad). The vehicle will be for around town or up into the mountains for hikes, skiing etc. Definitely should be fun to drive and more economical as gas keeps rising. I see it as midlife crisis sports car rather than a long commuter. 400 miles lets you baby the battery and absorb efficiency losses in winter far easier than with a base range.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 26, 2021 at 12:27 am

I do not think the Aptera will be good at drafting due to the efficient aerodynamics. You may reduce the head wind but there is no surface to ‘pull’ you. I could be wrong about that- it will be interesting to find out!

• DON RASKY

November 26, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Thanks. Interesting point on drafting. That may have been a poor choice of word on my part. My old cross country method for making time used to be to let two or three semis go by and to follow the third one at a safe distance, not enough room for someone to want to slide in in front of you but not so close that you have a risk of collision. When wanting to go slow to stretch my range, following semis in the slow lane has always worked well for me in liquid fueled cars. Hoping it will work with the Aptera.

• Michael Turner

December 6, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Drafting provides very little benefit to an ultra low drag vehicle. When driving my 0.16 Cd Aerocivic, I saw very little to no mpg improvement while drafting behind a semi.

• Steve L

November 28, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Curtis,

Could I use your google spreadsheet in a youtube video? How would you like me to credit you?

• Curtis Cibinel

November 28, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Go nuts obviously you know my name. Please link it in description. Please note some details like frontal area and weight may not be accurate (likely +- 10%)

• G N

December 5, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Nice calculations!

I did want to comment that I think I recall they admitted in a recent video that the weight has crept up to 1800 lbs.

• Genu Venue

November 23, 2021 at 2:36 am

Genuvenue is the best Wedding Photoshoot in Alberta that offers photoshoot packages for couples. They believe that they are the best wedding photography company because they do exceptional work.

• Genu Venue

November 23, 2021 at 4:55 am

How to negotiate for salary is a delicate matter, and some people might say that there are no set rules to how one should go about it. I have learned enough to give you some key pointers on the art of negotiating for salary.

• BigSky

November 27, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Curtis,

Thanks for the data! Very helpful. I went with the 60 KWh battery and FWD (may switch to AWD if I understand the range tradeoff). My thinking here was twofold. First, this may be the EV that I can truly travel long distance without sitting around waiting for charging. Second, I was thinking that I’d much rather manage the battery in the 20-80% range so I’m thinking 600 miles is really 480 at 80% and leaving me room for degradation. Is that crazy?

• kerbe2705

November 27, 2021 at 10:28 pm

You should also consider the range reduction caused by cold or inclement weather. Aptera has estimated that AWD will reduce range by about 10% – so 600 miles would be 540 with 80% at 432. If the winter reduction is 20%, you’re at 345 – if it’s 30%, you’re at 302.

The closest DC charging station in the direction I’m most likely to travel is 297 miles from my home – so you can see why I selected the 600 mile Aptera. Crazy? Crazy like a FOX!

• Curtis Cibinel

November 28, 2021 at 9:35 pm

My needs are usable 140km round trip to the ski hill. With all the losses with awd, offroad, heating, climbing a mountain, and being nice to the battery (20-80) I went with 400 mile (about 640km). I might be too conservative about the losses.

• BigSky

December 3, 2021 at 10:07 am

Helpful background, thanks everyone. I doesn’t make sense to me to cut down on the battery size for $5k given all the losses I’d expect over time. While the 1,000 mile headline is appealing and it would be great to have if I thought V2H/G was a viable option, I decided against it for a couple of reasons:

1) I’m not driving 1,000 miles in a day or anywhere near that on long distance trips. My goal on long distance is to plan my trip and charge over night at stops. 600 miles is sufficient for that goal which I would need rarely. My only goal is to avoid sitting around waiting for charging (not a fan of 30-60 min DC charging while traveling).

2) I’m looking at the space solve they need to do in order to make the 100 kWh battery work and I’m a little skeptical. There’s a reason why this is the last cars they will make and I think there will be tradeoff modifications that I don’t want to get into.

3) I think this is an inefficient use of battery capacity and counter to the mission of Aptera. It is unnecessary weight and complexity.

• Richard Palmisano

December 6, 2021 at 5:31 am

I opted for the 400 mile range battery for the following reasons:

– This will be a daily commuter, with an average round trip of 60 miles. (60mi x 5 = 300 mi).

– I live in “The Sunshine State” Florida. I expect at min 10-20 mi of solar charging daily to suppement range (Full Solar Package Option).

– The pack is smaller, less wieght, so my thoughts are best power to wieght ratio (tri motor configuration for me).

All said…we really don’t know what the final product will achieve, but if they can get close to their stated goals of efficiency and price point, then all is well.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now