Production speed – or lack thereof…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Production speed – or lack thereof…

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Production speed – or lack thereof…

• Production speed – or lack thereof…

• kerbe2705

October 27, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I’ve come to rely upon NGB for sound, reliable and well-reasoned commentary. https://youtu.be/y1Pnrn73FGs

• Ray Holan

October 27, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Worth a look for sure…

• Curtis Cibinel

October 27, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Scaling production is hard. This is a real risk for Aptera due to lack of vertical integration. The lack of automation means that human effort to produce vehicles should be relatively consistent but it will take far more to train production staff. I could definitely see the vinyl wrap process being a bottleneck; it is a skill and time intensive process to get good results.

• Ray Holan

October 27, 2021 at 1:36 pm

Good point about the vinyl wrap, Curtis. Can’t see a robot doing that part of the process to speed things up!

• John Malcom

October 27, 2021 at 1:44 pm

There are no robots in the Aptera assembly process. It is all done by hand. Perhaps sub assemblies provided by vendors may use robots, but Aptera is manual assembly to include the wrapping.

I would suggest, that we as outsiders refrain from too much criticism as we do not know the details of the Aptera process that Sandy Monro developed or how Aptera intends to implement it. We do know they have capable engineers and experienced and successful management oversight.

• John Malcom

October 27, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Glad to see this video! It identifies some issues that need attention in any production process. Hopefully it will enlighten Aptera enthusiasts about the difficulty of first product production and the reason I keep emphasizing not adding ANY new features other than what has been engineered into the Beta versions.

– Aptera works on a different model than described in the video. Here are a few of the principles in the video that are applicable to Aptera’s (Sandy Monro’s) approach that I think are significant. Many on the forum are also familiar with manufacturing and will have their own perspective.

– Production efficiency starts in engineering. If a car is engineered for easier production, production volume will grow more quickly and with less defects. Aptera is “Clean sheet” engineered for production. No hold over legacy to account for.

– To be really effective, engineering and production experts must work together to efficiently integrate the whole process. In a maker video an engineer highlights the advantage of having everybody together and working as a team.

– Less complex design is easier and faster to produce (Especially the first time) than a design that is complex with many features and options to account for. Aptera is engineered to be less complex and with far fewer parts than traditionally engineered vehicles.

There is a learning curve for production. No matter how well planned, there will always be things that go wrong and need to be corrected. This can only happen by going slowly at the start, watching quality like a hawk, and refining everyday if necessary.

In the end, although we may complain along the way, we will be very happy with Aptera and their product for doing it right from the start. Especially those of you at the beginning of the line😜 when your Aptera comes out perfect.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now