Please test thoroughly the gas petal

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Please test thoroughly the gas petal

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Please test thoroughly the gas petal

• Please test thoroughly the gas petal

• Daniel Crotty

August 31, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Last year, I decided to look at a Hyundai Ionic. I was pretty interested. Then I took it for a test drive.

No freaking way! The tension on the gas pedal was just totally wrong. Too mushy (weak). When I got back from the 15 minute test drive, my calf was actually starting to feel discomfort. I could not get to a position and just go into hold mode. Now try that on a longer drive. Many people say set it on Cruise control. Try some around town driving where Cruse is not appropriate.

I did not buy the Ionic and this was the primary reason.

SO PLEASE, make sure someone pays attention to this.

• John Malcom

August 31, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Hyundai does a pretty good job doing engineering and user testing of its vehicle human interfaces. That throttle feel was determined to be the best for the majority of owners/prospective owners. Perhaps there was something wrong with that particular pedal. My son has a 2020 Ioniq and the gas pedal seems about normal for a gas pedal when I drive it.

Aptera has a quality engineering team and I am sure they will do thorough and extensive testing of vehicle human interfaces to include “Regular drivers” in testing as well

• Daniel Crotty

September 1, 2021 at 12:58 pm

I agree. In fact, I did buy a Hyundai Veloster. Its great.

This was a specific car. I had the same problem long ago with a Sportage. I did not buy it either and for that reason.

I am confident that Aptera will test this … but in my opinion, it is better to mention it now than to find out later that it is a problem. Especially, since I live on the east coast. I suspect there may be little chance to take one out for a test drive.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 2, 2021 at 7:34 pm

if pedals resistance to be pressed to the floor/wall is too less, one can go over bumps or daydream thus end up to keep minimal energy momentum consistent on monotonous roads (also its better to avoid over accelerating and using even regen braking by maintaining momentum for longest battery life and better efficiency). it may seem like no big deal but these things add up over many iterations in cars lifetime. if pedal resistance is too much its more tiring to hold pedal over longer trips. this could be fixed with cruise control assuming the software’s knows when car needs to slow down b/c it cant carry momentum without burning tires(drifting) at a turn.

if it cant, there can be a touch on screen (or that modular programable optional switch concept from old forum) to ECU lock pedal input, then when wanting to change speed, the screen will show how much to push the pedal to maintain momentum before signaling that the driver in back in control. this also can be used for switching out of auto pilot type thing.

in old forum, there was better version of this that mechanically locked and unlock pedal in position, which would prevent need to be distracted by a screen b/c screen requires one to be more careful with it in order to modulate the right interface graphics especially on bumpy ride over bumpy parts of road. it used toothed pulleys and chain and a sliding door lock style pin to lock into side of holes. this version also allows user to not have to overaccelerate and brake when trying to guess what position to hold the pedal in to maintain momentum as he is unlocking pedal position. this also gives driver more confident control over car by preventing need to guess (sense of safety). only downside to such mechanical version is adding hardware vs non mechanical version described.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now