Perovskite solar cells?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Perovskite solar cells?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Perovskite solar cells?

• Perovskite solar cells?

• duane voth

September 15, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Just now discovered perovskite solar cells – wanted to bring them to the team’s attention: https://youtu.be/YWU89g7sj7s

Durability hasn’t initially been great but innovation seems to be quick!

• Christopher May

September 15, 2021 at 10:13 pm

This tech definitely looks promising…. For Apteras 3-4 years down the line, depending on the cost and if they fix the longevity problems fairly quickly.

• Randy J 20820

September 16, 2021 at 5:05 am

Looks like we subscribe to the same youtube channel. I thought of posting that here but it’s so far off in timing I didn’t.

I assume the Aptera engineers are always on the look out for the newest and greatest options for the entire vehicle.

• Leonard Nowak

September 16, 2021 at 5:11 am

Interesting. It might be better to send new tech, of available “off the shelf too” to

info@aptera.us and maybe for a future iteration they can consider.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Alain Chuzel

September 16, 2021 at 7:40 am

In the competitive solar car racing arena, we’ve been anxiously awaiting the Perovskite/Silicon tandem promise (25%+ efficiency at STC) for a couple-ish years at least. So far, no one I know of has been able to get their hands on actual working samples let alone a few m^2’s worth. I recall watching a video months ago in which someone at Aptera at least mentioned such cells as something of interest. Just for reference, the best of the best Silicon are SunPower/Maxeon 25.4% at STC. Some of us in the specialty module business still salivate at the performance of these cells. It’s fun working with such leading edge tech but I, personally, can’t wait for the next leap (Perovskite/Silicon MJ).

• John Malcom

September 16, 2021 at 8:00 am

There are many efforts ongoing to improve or replace solar cells. Universities, National Labs, corporate R&D facilities. Results from all sources are reported in journals, conferences, and nonprofit trade organizations. Aptera engineers track this technology of course and evaluate the efficacy and maturity of the various approaches for use in Aptera engineered vehicles.

Some criteria for evaluation is efficiency, durability, useability in an automotive application, manufacturability, cost, and availability. Most of the advanced approaches have some shortcoming in one or more of these areas. Almost all of them have a shortcoming in manufactureability, cost, and availability.

Aptera is predominately a COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf) parts vehicle where possible. (Lower cost, availability, market proven reliability. All good for us of course.

I am confident that Aptera engineering will track all emerging technologies and plan for integration at the most optimum time.

• Alain Chuzel

September 16, 2021 at 8:06 am

Very well summarized. Thank you.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now