Aptera Power Outlets

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Power Outlets

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Power Outlets

• Aptera Power Outlets

Posted by ajay-kaushal on September 19, 2021 at 3:00 pm

Will aptera have any 110v outlet to use when power is needed?

Also any USB outlets for charging on the go?

Sam replied 3 months ago 36 Members · 53 Replies
  • 53 Replies
  • Aptera Power Outlets

Sam updated 3 months ago 36 Members · 53 Replies
  • len

September 19, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Although the new website’s FAQ is great

Use the search function in that large spreadsheet (attached below).

Note: Answers within are from Aptera Team members and are periodically refreshed!

I always try to keep in mind.. The answers are the best answer “at the moment”… We are looking at results coming in from the early two development ( alpha series ) vehicles…

Beta ( validation) Gamma ( Release candidate ) and Delta/ production vehicles WILL TELL THE FINAL STORY!

Hope this helps “for now”

Aptera’s FAQ Spreadsheet

• ernesto-bartels

January 31, 2022 at 5:25 pm

Piggy back on this question, will there be a 220V outlet or option?

One of the reasons I also reserved an F150 Lightning was because of the optional ($1000) 30amp 220V outlet, which allows me to use it as an emergency backup to run essentials in house, run water pump etc. A car with a solar panel and ability to use it as backup in emergencies could be valuable

• kerbe2705

January 31, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Considering the size and weight of the inverter necessary to convert battery DC to line AC, I doubt that we’ll see it in an Aptera.

• eric-arnold

February 4, 2022 at 10:22 am

Updated spreadsheet to make it readable when it is downloaded.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Eric Arnold.
  • Robert

July 5, 2022 at 10:05 am

I see nothing indicating the that the Aptera will have any 12volt electrical outlets to charge phones or computers. All I see is a small pocket in the front of the center console that could be a wireless charger for one small device. These wireless chargers are slow chargers charging at about 1/2 as fast as wired chargers. So no way to charge more than one small device. No way to charge multiple devices, computers or anything else? Am I missing something?

• kerbe2705

July 5, 2022 at 2:16 pm

@Robert Keith Harrigan Aptera has yet to finalize the interior design of the vehicle: We’ve been promised that a built-out version of the current design will be available later this month (July, 2022).

12V outlets are not common to all vehicles, but USB charging ports are fairly ubiquitous. I suspect that they – like cupholders – will be part of the vehicle.

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

July 6, 2022 at 11:15 am

You can possibly tap power from the small 12v battery, that runs the auxiliaries, using an inverter. Chris Anthony mentioned this battery, in one of Steve’s (of Aptera Owners Club) interviews. Me, I’d just probably use a portable Jackery.

• Robert

July 6, 2022 at 1:21 pm

James if you want to use a Jackery to power your electrical devices in your Aptera won’t you need a way to charge the Jackery on your road trip in your Aptera? This subject of electrical outlets (USB or 12 VDC Cigarette style outlet has not been mentioned or discussed that I have seen.

I want to know is there is going to be multiple USB (A & C) and 12 VDC cigarette lighter style outlets in the Aptera or not? I am more concerned with functionality than looks

July 6, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Robert, the Jackery would be pre charged prior to the trip. Worse case, the Jackery can even be plugged with the 100W SolarSaga panels if the thing runs out of juice. I do that on one of my power banks for my phone. It comes with an optional foldable solar panels. Quite nifty to use.

• ROMAD

July 7, 2022 at 4:56 pm

I just realized that in addition to a 12vdc outlet, I’m going to need a source where I can make a hardwired 12vdc connection. Of course I could always tap off the back of an outlet.

• kirk-robbins

July 8, 2022 at 6:36 am

My suggestion would be at a minimum having a power delivery USB C port and or ports that match common solar generators. It’s time for the standard unreliable 12v receptacles to go away.

• richard-mitchell

July 8, 2022 at 7:55 pm

With all of the onboard power and the solar charging options, it would be most useful if the Aptera had 12v and/or 120v outlets. As a photographer that looks forward to using this car as my adventure vehicle for long road trips to do photography, I have a need to charge camera and computer gear on a regular basis. A Jackery won’t cut it for a longer trip – and having to hook up an auxiliary solar panel when the Aptera has 700w of solar would be a real inconvenience (especially since a portable panel would likely have to be exposed to sun… during the day… while traveling)

• ray-holan

July 9, 2022 at 5:19 am

When I read through the posts in this thread I was reminded (once again) that we have a great variety of use cases and preferences when it comes to Aptera features. Glad I’m not the one who has to make these design decisions — balancing cost, repairability, and customer preference is a tricky business.

• 3-D

July 9, 2022 at 7:21 pm

I really want a dash cam, its a deal breaker if they dont include such a basic feature. Also 12v power port is very important. And please wire in a 12v user interface. Constant power, switch power and ground, with a matching plug end with leads.

• Ph0ton

July 13, 2022 at 6:28 am

One of the great advantages of a solar-powered car is a mobile home-office. I currently like using my Tesla Model 3 to work from, and use an awkwardly wired 120V inverter wired directly to the DC-DC posts.

Does Aptera plan on including 120v outlets in the car, either in the front or the hatch area? It would go extremely well with a camping package as an upsell, or by itself as a bonus.

• Tom

July 13, 2022 at 8:25 am

From their retired Q&A spreadsheet, the answer appears to be “yes”, there will be (at least) one.

• GNiessen

July 13, 2022 at 8:14 pm

If you want battery backup for the house, then the right answer is to have a DC power connection for V2L. Then have an inverter at you house that you connect your car battery to. Why haul around a heavy inverter when you would only use it at home for rare emergencies.

• Ph0ton

July 13, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, I’m not really interested in a battery backup for the house. A modest inverter that can handle a chonky laptop or two is all I need, and DC power for a fridge. Thanks Thomas, and I hope they will aim to keep those features from the old spreadsheet.

• mark-salyzyn

July 23, 2022 at 7:30 pm

I was discussing with my wife about camping with the Aptera. I used to use a naphthalene stove in the past. Seems _wrong_ to do in an Aptera. Carbon fuels bad M’kay?

The Battery is 350vdc. If the midpoint and ends are brought out to a converter, it could produce single phase split 240vac 50/60Hz directly suitable for a nice powerful one or two burner induction cooktop. The converters they use for the motors produce 208vac 3 phase power directly, similar componentry, different wiring. Of course, such an option for 240vac split would give us a pair of accessory plug for 120vac for normal stuff. Refrigerators, LED lights, Amateur Radio power supplies …

If the converter is of the same design as the motor drive, except not variable frequency, and wired for single phase they could power a house 240vac split at 200Amps. Having such a beefy converter will have its own uses (like … powering a house!)

The accessory converter need only be for 15A or 20A service, so not nearly as beefy. There are aftermarket units here and there designed for the large number of 350vdc cars, Ford has such in the electric F-150 standard built-in. It would be better if such an option was available from Aptera themselves though for great fit and finish.

So, what do you think?

• SteveW

July 23, 2022 at 8:05 pm

I think a 15A 120v outlet is a minimum requirement. This would allow me to run a hot plate. Also one or more 12v to run a small plug-in cooler, and some USBC to charge phones.

• GNiessen

July 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm

You can have a nice induction cooktop or microwave on a simple 120v outlet that Aptera are saying will be included. No need to go crazy with split phase or even 3 phase. Though being able to tap into the full DC power for V2G support would be very nice.

• john-malcom

July 23, 2022 at 8:38 pm

The Aptera is engineered to be the most efficient vehicle transportation in the world. It was not designed to be a power station or a substitute for a 150 Lightning. The Aptera will have V2L 110 but not powerful enough to support using a hot plate or other high current device. There will be no 220v output.

July 23, 2022 at 10:22 pm

@ Mark Salyzyn, tapping power from this portable EV “power bank” could possibly be the solution. Being so used to having a back up battery (for my iPhone) within easy reach, this would be the power bank for my Aptera (very useful for overnight charging in apt garage). I just signed up, for pre ordering notification, to commence this year.

A ZipCharge Go

https://www.zipcharge.global

• richamor

September 6, 2022 at 2:59 pm

I have looked everywhere and cannot find any info on this. An AC power outlet in the rear cargo area would be a great thing to have. I can think of dozens of uses for it that I normally carry a “solar generator” for. If it can’t be put in as standard equipment maybe as an addon to the camping package.

• MSGNitro

September 6, 2022 at 3:14 pm

I could also agree on some use cases. However, without doing my own research further and thinking of basic electrical, wouldn’t a DC to AC inverter be needed? I’m sure a small enough one can be adapted to the battery source.

• V-Pilot

September 6, 2022 at 3:27 pm

It will be included, probably not more than 1500w though

• trevor-anderson

December 27, 2022 at 3:23 pm

I would love to have a USBC power delivery (PD) port, rated for 100W. So I can charge a laptop/tablet/phone at full power without the inverter. Nice piece of future proofing IMHO.

• Biker

January 26, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Sounds like two USB-C will be the only power outlets in the Aptera for a while.

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.