Original discussion: Quality of life and Blind Spot problem

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Original discussion: Quality of life and Blind Spot problem

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Original discussion: Quality of life and Blind Spot problem

• Original discussion: Quality of life and Blind Spot problem

Oz Man updated 2 weeks, 6 days ago 7 Members · 12 Posts
  • Blake Kottwitz

September 29, 2021 at 1:01 pm

Original discussion: Would it make sense to all a Basic flat screen TV and anchor it the the interior back window on the builds what are 100% covered with solar?

Imagine: a lot of people wanting the Daily 40 Miles free option… they order it and as soon as they reverse they look at a black wall (as they twist their body and use their right arm to hold them steady.)

But none of them even thought about not being able to see out the (non-)window!

<font face=”inherit”>MY Solution: </font>

<font face=”inherit”>Have 3 cameras in the back. Right angled, center, Left angled …. stitch and display the images to create a 225 degree viewing angle in addition to both rear view “mirror” </font>footages(/feetages?) <font face=”inherit”> </font>simultaneously on each side of the bumper camera footages<font face=”inherit”>. </font>

Automatically activate (display)<font face=”inherit”> when the </font>vehicle<font face=”inherit”> is in neutral, park, and reverse. </font>

<font face=”inherit”>
    </font>

<font face=”inherit”>I believe this should only be a default feature for </font>vehicles<font face=”inherit”> with all of the back window covered by solar cells.</font>

<font face=”inherit”>
    </font>

<font face=”inherit”>What do you all think?</font>

• Blake Kottwitz

September 29, 2021 at 1:06 pm

I did not type all those <font face= stuff>

• Leonard Nowak

September 29, 2021 at 1:40 pm
      • Blake Kottwitz

October 1, 2021 at 11:41 am

That blind spot solution would satisfy my worries.

I don’t have nor have I ever driven a car with a rear view camera… but what I have witnessed… proves to me that improvement is available.

I’m just aiming to provide more confidence reversing (Fast ie. Emergency Reversing or Slow ie. Regular Daily Reversing) and least

For evidence Look up Accidents that involve children and toys they chase or ride. where the Child suddenly appears in camera at the same moment the car starts to reverse.

Or

When you need to make a reverse turn (say 90+ degree reverse turn).

Having a 225 degree image from the perspective of right/center/left of the bumper cameras

Will help:

1. Provide one or two+ extra seconds to see a stationary object.

<font face=”inherit”>2. Most reverse cameras only show you</font><font face=”inherit”>.. the bumper </font>immediately behind or in front of it (plus at a rather steep angle from 180 degree line of sight (parallel with the bumper) . (You know the imminent contact zone.) NEVER 1 foot beyond the bumper (horizontally speaking) or into the distance (near horizontally speaking)

<font face=”inherit”>Being able to see your kid or </font>someone’s<font face=”inherit”> kid or fast moving jerk in the parking lot. running/driving fast at your car long before they enter into the general area of your car allows you to stop well in advance of all of the current standard reversing camera systems. </font>

I hope the pictures help more then my words….

as for the tv or image in the back…. I don’t think it is wise to have the rearview angles on 3 distant screens that force you to rotate your head more than 5 degrees (assuming the reverse twist will die… and it should…)

please excuse the funky ADF scan…

• Ken Bolinsky

September 29, 2021 at 2:18 pm

I do not understand this concern: Aptera has a wide-angle camera mounted at the top of the hatch that displays on the rear-view “mirror”. Aptera also has a reversing camera mounted below the license plate that displays on the main cabin screen when reversing. In addition, Aptera has side-view cameras that display on their own screens on either side of the dashboard. It will be almost impossible for an Aptera driver to encounter a “blind spot” when reversing.

Ever since May 1, 2018, rear-view cameras that display on a dashboard screen while reversing have been mandated by law in all US passenger vehicles. Most drivers have learned to use this system in lieu of craning their necks around to try to see behind their vehicles. Even my late father became adept at using this system at age 87 – and he learned to drive in a Ford Model T!

• Dean McManis

September 29, 2021 at 2:57 pm

I will admit that I had the very same concern when I first saw the full solar package, and the totally obscured rear window. I had suggested that they just put a big flat solar panel on the floor in the back and it would work through the back glass like the dashboard solar panels do up front now.

But after thinking about it, in my current Cadillac PHEV I realized that I no longer look over my shoulder out the back window when I back up now. Between the backup camera, proximity sensors, side entry warnings, and video overlays, it’s pretty convenient, and I feel comfortable relying on the backup screen and monitoring software.

• John Malcom

September 29, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Kenneth’s 87 year old father was comfortable. We can be as well. I am about 10 years behind him. I drive a Tesla Model3 equipped in a similar manner. I quickly adjusted and find it safer with all of the views. I do not look out the back window at all. I have driven commercial vehicles with no views out the back, just those big old mirrors extending on the sides up front. Did OK with that low tech as well

I believe once you have experienced driving with the Aptera design you will wonder how you got along without it.

• Paul Evans

September 29, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Same here, John. I’m very dependent on the backup display. Yesterday, I was about to back out of a parking spot but the reverse display was blank which unnerved me a bit. I shifted between park and reverse a couple of times but the screen remained blank so I just shut the car down. On restart, it worked but I don’t think I can attribute that to crossing my fingers or my recitation of many expletives.

• Ken Bolinsky

September 29, 2021 at 11:06 pm

To be fair, Dad was most concerned about not remembering that the headlight control was on a stalk and not on the dashboard – even though he NEVER drove after dark or in inclement weather when headlights would be needed… 😆

• Dean McManis

September 30, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I agree. When I drive my wife’s Nissan Rogue I immediately miss having the backup camera, and especially the side mirror, with blind spot sensors. I have totally gotten used to the modern safety net of all of those cameras and sensors.

• Blake Kottwitz

October 1, 2021 at 11:57 am

the main thing I’m focusing on is the Scope or lack there of visuals.

have your kid or wife walk really slow from 5 foot out parallel and next to the bumper.. tell the person to stop as soon as you see the persons chest, hip, or leg.

Then get out and see for yourself. if you had reversed … you would have hit the person…

and

The jerk speeding in the parking lot looking for a quick insurance check.

Those are the problems I’m trying to solve. I don’t care about normal no kid/jerk car/non-emergency reverses. I care about safety. If Aptera adopts what I’m proposing. Aptera will have the best reversing tech on the market. (A fantastic selling point.)

• Oz Man

October 1, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Based on the tech in my 5 year old Mazda, the back up camera and blind spot monitor do a better job in the described situations (And many others.) than you or I could ever do.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now