Order of Manufacturing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Order of Manufacturing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Order of Manufacturing

• Order of Manufacturing

• John Voules

November 19, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Has Aptera decided on production order…based on battery pack size or any other possible

variable?

• Riley -_-

November 19, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Thus far they stated in this order 400, 600, 250 and 1,000. I don’t recall them mentioning any other metrics for build order. Some time early next year aptera will release more information on what configurations will be built first.

• John Voules

November 19, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Thx Riley…I guess my next thoughts are many of us that would like the vehicle as soon as possible may change our original battery request to accommodate an earlier build. Especially if we are already purchasing a second Aptera. At just under 7,000 reservation number for a 1,000 mile battery pack it looks like I would definitely go into 2023 production cycle. Aptera’s marketing strategy is to advertise for 1,000 range, it would make more sense to produce those vehicles fist vehicles with that range capability. This would also add greater revenue right off to bat. A strategy that seems most electric manufacturers are doing. Do we know why they are going away from this strategy?

• Riley -_-

November 19, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I believe it was mentioned in a video that the reason for the 400 mile range was that it provides for an increase of profits over the 250 mile range. As for the 600 and 1,000 mile range they are still working on the capability of cramming that much battery into such a compact car. When you configure the Aptera it shows it as a modular system that just adds more modules to increase range but thats incorrect. Each battery pack has to be custom built to fit into the complicated geometry of the Apteras belly.

• George Hughes

November 19, 2021 at 11:15 pm

It is not necessarily the the time for the 1000 mile batteries considering the battery shortage and the imperative to get the most sensible Aptera out there on the road.

I say most sensible in reference to battery size. First of all, assuming a relatively restricted battery supply (aka: the market) the initial production run in terms of vehicles is 2.5 to 1 … i.e. for every two 1000-mile units possible with the supply, you could put five 400-mile Apterea on the road.

If cars on the road is going to sell the car, then the strategy that puts the most cars on the road is the best. The reason the 200-mile version was not chosen is that 200 miles of range is common while even 400 miles of range promises to be a top tier range figure for some time.

And be certain the 400-mile version is more than capable of meeting the needs of literally 99.9 percent of the people 99.9 percent of the time.

• Lou Verner

November 20, 2021 at 1:43 am

Hi Riley, I know this question about build order has come up several times before and I don’t recall that anyone has provided such a definitive answer before. Could you please reference where the company has stated such? Also love to know where they talked about problem with battery pack logistics. Thanks!

• Leonard Nowak

November 20, 2021 at 6:23 am

And there are also the earliest sold “limited edition Paradigm to fill early???”

Remember this;

A limited number of special edition Paradigm and Paradigm+ models will be offered, or you can choose to customize the Aptera that’s right for you.

220 Paradigm Edition ( 40kWh) 1st production

110 Paradigm Plus ( 100kWh) 4th production

All were a special price and prepackaged with

Full Solar

Enhanced audio

FWD

Not sure what the “4th Production” meant? Unless it meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1st 40kWh

2nd 25 kWh

3rd 60kWh

4th 100kWh

Plus applying everyone’s earned production priority ( from reservation number and if they earned a priority place by their investment level )

• Lou Verner

November 20, 2021 at 7:26 am

OK – think most are aware of initial Paradigm rollout. What we need is how queue is ordered, by time of reservation, battery sizer location or combination.

• Oz Man

November 20, 2021 at 7:34 am

Len & Lou & All for that matter, The order of production will be what it is, when that time comes, everything that has been put out is based on what Aptera has thought at each time, but it obviously will continue to be a moving target as conditions and discoveries change in preparing for production. Even with the things that they have so far stated, there is a lot of wiggle room, since there aren’t any solid dates yet. (I ask you, how big is a production run? It most certainly won’t be all of the orders at once.)

• Lou Verner

November 20, 2021 at 7:57 am

Thx for proper perspective Oz Man. I think what we do know for sure is production will ramp up and max out at 40 vehicles/day. Chris said goal will be 5000 for 2022. Happy if that’s true. If so, they might get all of us with current reservations by end 2023

• John Malcom

November 21, 2021 at 10:34 am

My Thoughts….Oz Man is correct.

Aptera has a lot of balls in the air now to consider for the rest of development and production. They will certainly impact the remainder of the development schedule and the production schedule, many of which were not known even a short time ago, or not yet known. Business decisions on delayed revenue and available current and future funds, need to optimize staffing plans for development and production, Need to assess how lessons learned from Alpha builds will affect Beta configuration/build and in turn production configuration/build. Of course constantly changing supply chain status and fit out of production facilities. (Fortunate that production facility is now available) Also marketing assessment of when the best time to enter the market with a product in conjunction with a competitive analysis of other EV Startups planning on market entry at nearly the same time as Aptera. All of the above interact with each other and many more factors we don’t know about.

A tough job!

A good thing we have such astute management that have already experienced this kind of Chaos. I admire them for what they have accomplished to date, really remarkable. I trust them to continue to do extraordinary things. One of my favorite things is their Systems integration approach discussed by their battery person in his video. He explained that each discipline and I believe each element of the non engineering organization work in concert. Integrated Product Teams and Systems Integration Engineering are the disciplines that made the Shuttle Development so successful and this approach will make Aptera successful as well.

We certainly don’t have anywhere sufficient visibility into Aptera to make even a WAG as to the remaining schedule. So, lets not bug them about it until they have it worked out and furnish it to us.

Aptera has been exceptionally forthcoming with us and they will be with schedule too when the time comes.

• John Voules

November 21, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Thank you to all that have replied to my original post. One of Aptera’s main selling points was its ultimate range, this was at the forefront along with solar charging that drew me to this vehicle. I have always seen new vehicles come to market with their top teared model. My original interest for ordering and then investing was based on the 1,000 mile premise. This is what differentiated this vehicle for me, as I plan on using it for cross country trips during my retirement. In addition once the vehicle is seen on the road…I always get asked in my i3 how many miles do I get..if my response is 1,000 and it costs this much but you can get one with lesser range for much less. You are creating a much greater buzz with a 1,000 mile vehicle. A 2 seater with a 250 or a 400 range…not as much. I know this vehicle has a special appeal due to its design, but at the end of it, it’s still a two seater and you can get plenty of well handling 2 seat ice cars at the same or similar price point.

Maybe just my thoughts but that’s where I am with this.

• John Malcom

November 22, 2021 at 8:03 am

I believe that marketing, engineering, production, and finance will do the right tradeoffs to determine the best product release plan. Not many of the target market (Millennials & Gen Z) can afford a 1000 mile configuration. The 250/400 mile version is currently priced so it is easily accessible to those with lower incomes therefore encouraging a greater volume of purchases out of the gate. Perhaps better to have a lot of Apterae on the roads?

• G Johns

November 22, 2021 at 10:08 am

The longer it takes for production the MO money I have to pay cash. I have not had a loan for so long now that I forget how depressing it was to be constantly in debt.(a long time ago).

• G Johns

November 22, 2021 at 10:13 am

I also plan to make some retirement trips in a 60kwh Aptera. I feel 200-250 miles a day is plenty. Then stay overnight somewhere and plug in to 120 overnight. I figure I should be able to go about 7-8 days before I might need a serious charge.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Why not just stop at a DC fast charger once or twice a day and you can go as far as you like? Each fast charge costs $5-$15 typically. Some fast chargers are entirely free.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now