Open the door, and an App ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Open the door, and an App ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Open the door, and an App ?

• Open the door, and an App ?

kerbe2705 updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 8 Members · 11 Posts
  • Daniel Crotty

October 22, 2021 at 9:04 am

I was just watching the old Jason Hill webinar. He mentioned an app being used to open and close the door and there was not a mention of a FOB.

I rarely use a cell phone and almost never have it with me in the car. Even if I do, what if the battery goes dead, or I lose it. Is carrying a smartphone a requirement to drive an Aptera!

What does the app do? I can’t imagine that there is no FOB, but I searched for FOB and don’t find anything. Without one, the app is a good thing to have, assuming you can start the car and open the door with it. For some reason, I seem to recall that Aptera does not come with a navigation system, so it may not be capable of doing this even with a phone.

Personally, I liked the way my Corvette did it. Walk up to the car and it opened automatically, away it locked. There is no worry about “did I remember to lock the car.”

**** As an extra point. Not too long ago, the battery in my Hyundai went dead. I could not figure out how to open the door, much less start it.

After some internet searching, it turns out that you can touch the fob to the start button and the car will start, even with a dead battery. I was fortunate in that I had not locked the car.

Wish I had known that when it happened. Imagine being out in a local park when it happens.

If you have not done so, you may want to look up what to do for your car. I would never have gotten in the car, much less get it started without a YouTube video. Or, a battery replacement.

The FOB should have a low battery alert! Mine does not!

• John Trotter

October 22, 2021 at 9:11 am

My FOB-less Tesla Y works fine for me with the app, although I always carry the key-card as well. FOB are available for $. All cars nowadays need a mechanical way to open the door as well. I’d like the same suite of options for Aptera.

• Leonard Nowak

October 22, 2021 at 10:36 am

In the most recent Leno’s Garage video with Aptera… Chris mentioned a key FOB in your pocket? About 18 minutes into that video

• Paul Evans

October 22, 2021 at 11:43 am

To answer your question about a navigation system, it’s included as a standard item. There is at least one discussion about nav features and a short piece on its range estimator in one of Steve’s updates.

• Daniel Crotty

October 22, 2021 at 12:49 pm

I dont need a cell phone to play my own music. I have a small USB stick that holds 8+hrs of music that I stored on it. You want more, get a bigger stick. This is not a big one at all. I think I paid under $5 for it a few years ago. No commercials! No Static! And not one song that I dont like.

I assume a USB port is available and that the system will handle it.

Sorry I replied to the wrong response

• kerbe2705

October 22, 2021 at 11:50 am

A cell phone will be mandatory equipment if you wish to play your own music through the audio system and not rely upon streaming services. It will also be required if you want to be able to make or receive hands-free phone calls using the Aptera’s audio system.

Some EV fobs allow you to activate cabin preconditioning (heat or AC) while others do not, requiring the use of a smartphone app. Some EVs have Amazon Echo or Android Assistant integration for voice activation but they actually send a command to the smartphone app, which then completes the task.

• Joshua Rosen

October 22, 2021 at 12:57 pm

I hope they do it like Tesla. Your phone is the primary key, when you walk up to the car with your phone in your pocket the car flashes it’s light as a hello and you can just get into the car or unplug the charging cable. As a backup Tesla provides an RFID card which you keep in your wallet so that you always have it with you. RFID cards are more reliable than key fobs because they don’t require a battery. Tesla also sells a key fob for those who want one. I don’t have a fob and feel no need for one but for people who don’t want a smartphone I can see the appeal.

• Riley -_-

October 22, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Your story about a dead battery got me thinking about what would happen if you drove the Aptera to 0% battery and the car dies at night. I imagine even with solar it won’t get any recharge the next day as the main computer would be dead. Probably a good use case for keeping a jackery solar charger on-board.

• Joel Smith

October 22, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Pretty sure they have said that, just like most any other BEV on the market, the Aptera will have something like a standard 12 volt automotive battery to run the auxiliaries, including the vehicle’s computer. So just because you have completely drained the vehicle’s traction battery doesn’t mean you won’t be able to power up the BMS to recharge it.

• kerbe2705

October 22, 2021 at 10:04 pm

You pretty much can’t drain an automotive traction battery to 0% – the battery management system won’t allow it. Every battery pack is designed to maintain an upper and lower “buffer” that drivers cannot access in order to protect the battery cells.

• kerbe2705

November 9, 2021 at 5:03 pm
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now