One foot driving?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One foot driving?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One foot driving?

• One foot driving?

• Richard Blackwood

August 10, 2021 at 4:34 pm

I know the Aptera will have one regenerative braking, but will it have one foot driving as is so common now?

• Norman Barrett

August 10, 2021 at 5:10 pm

I love it on the BMW i3. Would be great if the Aptera had it.

• Graham Smith

August 27, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Fully agree on both points.

• Sam Ruble

August 11, 2021 at 7:36 am

From the FAQ page.

“Aptera will offer adjustable levels in 3 or 4 settings, from off to very heavy regen braking.”

I read “very heavy” as one pedal capability

• James Pike

August 11, 2021 at 10:26 am

I believe the optional level 2 autopilot will also have one pedal driving as it would simply be a selection in the software. I’m not so sure about the base car.

• Richard J Williams

August 25, 2021 at 1:04 pm

The regenerative braking that is proportional to the accelerator pedal release. Seems so normal in my old Tesla. Hoping for similar in the Aptera. Yes?

• Gabe Kemeny

August 25, 2021 at 5:37 pm

It may take Elaphe a bit of time to dial it in, but assume similar functionality eventually.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 27, 2021 at 4:13 pm

if pedals resistance to be pressed to the floor/wall is too less, one can go over bumps or daydream thus end up not energy input vs movement keeping momentum consistent on monotonous roads, which is for efficiency over many iterations, if pedal resistance is too much its more tiring to hold pedal over longer trips. this could be fixed with cruise control assuming the software’s knows when car needs to slow down b/c it cant carry momentum at maybe even a slight turn

if not, there can be a touch on screen (or that modular programable optional switch concept from old forum) to ECU lock pedal input, then when wanting to change speed, the screen will show how much to push the pedal to maintain momentum before signaling that the driver in back in control. this also can be used for switching out of auto pilot type thing.

in old forum, there was version of this that mechanically locked and unlock pedal in place, which would prevent need to be distracted by a screen that’s hard to be careful with enough to modulate the right graphics especially on bumpy ride over bumpy parts of road. it used toothed pulleys and chain and a sliding door lock style pin to lock into side of holes.

• John Schwartz

September 6, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Another vote for one pedal driving. All EVs should have this, period. I really like the way it’s done on the Bolt, where you get very strong regen in ‘L’, which is suitable for most deceleration, and then there’s a paddle on the steering wheel you can use to add more, which works beautifully when having to slow going down a steep hill for example. I rarely have to touch the brake pedal in our Bolt and it’s an amazing driving experience.

• Eduardo Delahoz

September 22, 2021 at 10:38 pm

The weight savings from “One pedal” driving alone, seems like a great efficiency (no master, slaves, discs, calipers, lines and fluid), not to mention amount of energy it would intuitively put back in the battery, the stop on a dime feeling, and not having to worry about brake fade from going down long, steep, hill, but are they tried a true? I like em.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 23, 2021 at 12:01 am

Even vehicles that use regen for braking (like Tesla) still have mechanical brakes for emergency stopping. Elaphe has said that their in-wheel motors have the ability to replace mechanical brakes but, so far, no one has seen it happen.

I rather like “blended braking” in which the brake pedal serves in a manner similar to the “full regen” paddle on the Volt and Bolt: Release the accelerator and the vehicle regens, apply pressure to the brake pedal and the amount of regen increases, apply more pressure and the mechanical brakes engage to bring the vehicle to a full stop. Honda has this form of braking nailed: It’s seamless and functions without any feeling of “mushiness” or “jerking”.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now