On the Way to BYD

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions On the Way to BYD

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions On the Way to BYD

• On the Way to BYD

Carl Knapp updated 1 month ago 9 Members · 11 Posts
  • John Malcom

October 30, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Wednesday, I leave for two weeks in Shenzhen PRC to visit the BYD facilities as a part of my current consulting engagement. We will be looking at BYD’s new Han line of EVs and the production facilities for all of their electrical vehicles. The new Han series look like small Lucids. Perhaps not surprising for the Chinese.

I lived and worked in China before so I will be interested in seeing the changes that have taken place since I left.

<font face=”inherit”>Will </font>summarize<font face=”inherit”> what I see/learn there that is not part of the NDA constraints when I return.</font>

• Oz Man

October 30, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Safe travels John.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 30, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Have a great trip 🇨🇳; looking forward to any insights you can share.

From what I’ve seen BYD makes some amazing cars at incredible prices; blade battery is super impressive. They really mirror tesla in a lot of ways. Its yet to be seen how effectively they will be able to enter the NA market but thats more about dealership laws and import tarrifs than if people would buy the products.

For anyone interested in news about them and the markets in china, Australia and New Zealand I recommend the Electric Viking; he posts EV news videos 2-3 times per day. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjzi56cxvmEDwjo1Bd2Yxpg

• Ray Holan

October 30, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Have a safe and productive trip, John. You may pick up some breakthrough tech while visiting BYD production facilities. If you do, make sure your next consulting gig is at Aptera!

• George Hughes

October 30, 2021 at 4:58 pm

Sounds like an interesting trip, so God speed.

One of the aspects that I love about Aptera is the use of a composite monocoque structure and its implications in terms of the distribution and hand-made assembly process.

I know the tooling Aptera has allows for pretty rapid production of the fiber components. This kind of compares with Tesla, whose mega-casting machines operate at one big metallic component ever five seconds or with Aptera, one fiber composite component every five minutes (or so).

Don’t be shy about telling everyone if you see a similar application of composites in cars.

This might be most easily seen in Chinese factories doing large scale drones and possible flying cars. That’s the direction I think Aptera ought to go, btw.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 30, 2021 at 7:03 pm

why flying cars? energy cost to lift stuff is more than dragging it on rails or wheels. https://www.youtube.com/c/NotJustBikes 2/1 seater car is future for ridesharing, family

2 seaters can follow each other like train track cars in a train, or replace 4 seater or 6 seater, while allowing multiple drivers go their own way with a passenger and maybe some space, especially given most people drive alone with not much storage space being used most the time and b/c increasing need and want for both husband wife to go to work at different places at similar/same time plus grocery and other activity, software allow one car to follow another like traincar in train track, so 1 driver with 3 passenger, b/c both cars are powered, normal trailer driving style of slower braking and turning vs normal driving, is not needed…. all with computer programming. effiency in running cost payoff such maybe its even less cost over ownership time vs buying minivan or 4 seater, maybe 4 seater and 2 seater replaces minivan, etc.2 cheap two seaters with a app to make one of them auto follow the other like a train. this allows husband wife to goto different places at same time which is unfortunately becoming more common b/c rising cost of living. ridesharing is usually done for one customer at a time too given people move alone most the time. maybe teh cars can be efficiency optimized for city (lighter weight and more compact but less aerodynamics) except there could be a removable and/or folding front end areo foil similar to what freight trucks use in the space above truck roof, covering the trailer, or front end of f1 car, etc.

human moudle can adapt to rail with adapter or by sitting on rail pad thats primarily designed for bus modules, detachable areo front. single cars drivetrain may also power bus module and work as freight truck (probably need a dedicated drivetrain chassis for busses and freight, maybe even for amazon delivery van/pickup truck level thing) bus moudle maybe even be economical for flight in drone cargo aircraft, and box shape can work to adap to cargo shipping container for cargo planes and cargo ships. drivetrain and trailer swaps by rent instead of vehicle switch for temporary uses (so people who buy big SUV for 1% of use times dont do that)

• Lou Verner

October 30, 2021 at 8:21 pm

Best wishes for a safe, productive, informative trip John. We will look forward to your report upon return!

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 30, 2021 at 8:51 pm

maybe goto japan instead (or add it)? as well as BYD dolphin car, they have japan only stuff kei cars, nissan e power nismo note, honda s660, probably some lotus exiges/elises and defintly nissan skylines etc. ora good cat lightning kinda looks porsche panamera. human horizons car brand has a japan center but dont know if they sell car there. china have classic car looking stuff. NIO has this nomi robot on dashboard.

europe has alpine a110 and 100s but lotus is better and probably some in US to try. might find a ariel nomad (US) or rage comet R (europe)

• kerbe2705

October 30, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Have fun!

• George Hughes

October 31, 2021 at 1:47 am

Flying cars are a 2030s innovation that occurs when battery power densities given them range in the 200-300 mile range. Like Aptera, most personal flying cars will seat two. It is the ability to automate navigation in flying cars – it is actually more simple than auto-driving as the cool thing about air-paths is they typically don’t have obstacles. Then there is the cost of road infrastructure and comparative speed and safety.

We already see some of this happening with commercial and retail last mile delivery.

Oh, and flying around on what amounts to a magic carpet will be considered soooo cool; especially when the costs begin to come within reach …or in the for-hire transportation system.

These aerial craft will be using light-weight composites for the craft’s exoskeleton in a process similar to Apteras monocoque.

The traditional steel formed car, based on the wasting of energy from weight is only one of the many ICE inefficiencies but the weight along with the robotics and paint operations make this style of production obsolete.

Tesla had radically simplified traditional steel car construction techniques, which is a competitive edge while maintaining the structure of more traditional construction including robots and paint lines.

Aptera is the poster child for the rust-proof composite monocoque body that is particularly strong, safe, light and long-lived.

With the ability to enhance shape comes enhanced styling and one might see composites as the ticket for modern EVs of all designs.

Simplification of production is central and the ability to make cars so light they can be assembled with minimal tooling in widely distributed plants largely by hand represents social values of a higher order.

• Carl Knapp

October 31, 2021 at 10:58 am

John, It will be interesting to find out what you can share with us. Recently our manufacturing facilities in China have a had power outages. Because we manufacture engines and generators we had full generator back up so we were able to maintain production using very expensive diesel. We have also run into supply issues from steel suppliers due to the lack of workers caused by flooding. My understanding BYD’s facilities have not been affected by these issues but you may want to investigate this with them and others outside of BYD to find out what is happening.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now