Off Road

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road

• Off Road

Gary Johnston updated 1 month ago 9 Members · 13 Posts
  • Richard Marks

August 14, 2021 at 10:41 am

Does the Off Road option decrease range?

• Leonard Nowak Nowak

August 14, 2021 at 12:10 pm

We don’t know yet, weight and what all will be offered. We heard the AWD could be a 10% hit

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 14, 2021 at 1:36 pm

The more drag the less efficient. The more weight the less efficient. The more speed the less efficient. 10% hit for AWD 20% increase in fun!!

• Joshua Rosen

August 16, 2021 at 7:20 am

Where did they say that AWD will be 10% less efficient? It could be more efficient, with the three motor system 98% of the time it will be using the single rear motor only. You only need all three motors when getting out of the snow or when flooring it, when you are cruising along a single motor is sufficient.

• Leonard Nowak Nowak

August 16, 2021 at 8:59 am

Chris mention the hit in a video.

• George Hughes

August 17, 2021 at 10:32 am

Sure did, but my recollection of the remark was that the 10 percent decline for adding the rear motor was a first-blush decline in efficiency before, say, power shifting or other approaches to boost efficiency were tried. I.e. with some optimization, the hit for the third motor could be like 3-5 percent.

It is kind of like adding a fourth wheel; the shorthand estimate of the increase in drag and rolling resistance would be 25 % but by placement of the wheel and other strategies, the hit might be as much as 10% lower because of other design efficiencies.

• Gabe Kemeny

August 16, 2021 at 11:17 am

The addition of the weight alone (for the third motor) will make it less efficient – I think it was noted somewhere that consumption/efficiency drops by 1% for every 30lbs of weight.

• Gary Johnston

August 18, 2021 at 9:05 am

Joshua Rosen, I think it would be less stable with just rear wheel propulsion.

• GLENN ZAJIC

August 14, 2021 at 12:57 pm

It must, at least a little, or they would have designed them all that way. Think about it.

• Fanfare 100

August 14, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Likely, though we don’t know by how much, nor if it is an option we can change to and from at will depending on the driving circumstance and need.

• Morris Wilder

August 16, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I’m thinking about adding the off road option. Does anyone know what the ground clearance will be from the bottom of the wheel cover to the ground after the option?

• Leonard Nowak Nowak

August 16, 2021 at 6:58 pm

This has been answered already…

Since the std GC is 5” at bottom of the wheel covers and the belly is 9”. They hope to realize 2” additional to this GC, BUT until they do it there is no spec.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now