Off Road Suspension Benefits?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road Suspension Benefits?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road Suspension Benefits?

• Off Road Suspension Benefits?

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I understand that with the off road package that the Aptera gets a slight lift to 9″ and more sturdy wheel covers. Does anyone know if the suspension gets any beefier or if it might increase the load bearing capacity of the Aptera? If it’s just the lift kit and the more sturdy wheel covers, not sure it will really help me much with local potholes, rough country fire roads, and the occasional visit to snow country.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 23, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Not sure. The beta suspension uses coilovers so it may be just raising the coilovers all the way up and swapping out the wheel pants to tougher ones with more clearance.

Here are some fan renders of possible ideas of what that might look like.

• Raj Giandeep

November 23, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Nice mockups Peter! I have the off-road selected for now. But if I can remove the covers for off-road at slow speeds I may not get off road.

I’d imagine they would do a video all about the off-road when they are ready to show it. Right now there is no real info yet. There is this official image that seems to be the off road package. But it’s CGI so it will probably change a bit with the beta / production builds.

• John Malcom

November 23, 2021 at 2:04 pm

I showed the Aptera to one of my sons. He said “Hmm, sissy car”. He has a tricked out Wrangler with lifts, over sized tires, winch, and light bar. If a vehicle can’t rock crawl at Moab UT, he doesn’t consider it off road.

Of course, he can’t drive more than a block before needing to fill his gas tank. Don’t know where I went wrong with him😔

• Riley -_-

November 23, 2021 at 8:06 pm

So many points you could bring up. I am into many types of vehicles, big block lifted 4×4 sounds awesome to me. Aptera fits a completely different niche such as infinite overlanding range and simplicity of design for easy repairability. Its easy to see aptera as an “elegant” commuter car but with a 0-60 time of 3.5 which is faster than a corvette and hellcat it places it into supercar territory.

• Joshua Rosen

November 24, 2021 at 6:47 am

How does he feel about Rivian?

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 24, 2021 at 2:58 pm

electric car only worth it when efficiency is high priority b/c of recycling and weight issues. trucks do lot of work just moivng around before being used for what they exist for.

• Ronster

November 30, 2021 at 9:43 pm

John, very interesting & relevant 🥱. Joking. Obviously everyone should express themselves freely, regardless.

Cheers!

• Joshua Caldwell

November 24, 2021 at 6:26 am

I’m doing the off road version thanks to my employer, we park in a dirt lot that keeps getting huge potholes and our employer rarely grades it flat again, only twice in 5 years that I can recall that happening. (by huge, the potholes get nearly car sized over the years, going down a foot or more, and fills with water, so if you don’t know it’s there, you have a problem getting out of the mud hole)

November 26, 2021 at 9:31 pm

suspension can make energy out of shock by a gearbox(maybe with worm gear) that converts vertical movement into horizontal circular movement, motor generator spins both directions. theres also mclaren720s airpressure assist suspension connecting all wheels. similar to freepiston combustion electric generator, maybe vertical magnets on sliding rails could help too. air pressure in piston could help too, and in the mclaren pressure system the flow could push turbine like water dam power plants. porsche or audi or bently has a motor pushing a lever up and down as suspenion moves updown. i think i mentioned this stuff in old forum.

• John Trotter

November 28, 2021 at 7:11 pm

I selected the off-road package even though it is a bit of a pig-in-the-poke until the details are disclosed. I am only interested because it seems an inexpensive way to have a bit more flexibility in where we could drive. Not for rock climbing, such as is best done in purpose-built machines.

What would I specifically value?

– Increased bottom clearance. I doubt there would be the inefficiency hit from having more under-body space as there is with flat-bottom cars. (Remember, Aptera moves the wheel shape away from the body in part to improve aerodynamics.) Weight is already pretty low, thanks to batteries.

– Skid plate. The right-to-repair video pointed out that there are electrical components down there that might warrant extra protection. I can imagine dragging composite over sharp rocks (or curbs or driveways) is not a good idea.

– Smaller front wheel pants. Increase ground clearance and make tougher. Somehow.

– Rear wheel stanchion. Harden leading edge and increase ground clearance.

– Adjustable suspension? These were expensive systems in two of my prior cars (Audi and Jeep) and I’m not sure the Aptera benefit of the complexity. Maybe.

– Better lighting? Not a light-bar exactly, but a better-than-standard array.

– Of course, I can’t imagine off-road without also AWD.

Something else?

November 30, 2021 at 8:43 pm

said headlight should be around driver forehead level over line if sight with lenses to make a more straight beam through curved windshield. this allows driving home at dark after alight front end crash.

front end piece transparent to allow front end lisence plate to be see inside the front end rather than mess up areodynamics.same condensation management as headlight, needs to not melt under esxtreme heat sun, tinting helps

• Ronster

November 30, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I thought it was more fender related (higher clearance & stronger construction) than an actual body lift or suspension change.

Does someone have video &/or detail to point me to that further distinguishes between?

I ordered the off road package on both of ours (his & hers) and perhaps I misunderstood what it comes with in that regard. Maybe I missed something or there’s further clarification.

Thank you in advance.

Much Appreciated.

• Harry Parker

December 1, 2021 at 7:29 am

Last I heard, they have yet to complete the design of their off-road version.

They have yet to complete a build of a Beta prototype to test their brand new standard suspension. Off-road design completion is probably waiting until after they see how well their standard suspension works on rough roads.

• John Malcom

December 1, 2021 at 8:03 am

This order makes sense in the tasks that need to b done to complete and start testing of Betas. Good to have a longtime Ambassador respond!👍

Have missed your commenting

• Hayden Maxwell

December 1, 2021 at 2:16 pm

That was my question as well. I would like to be able to do some off-road, but if the only features of the off-road package relate to the wheel fairings, I would rather just order the standard setup and remove the wheel covers entirely when off-roading as I do like the look and increased efficiency of the standard wheel covers. If the off-road package does, however, offer additional features such as increased ride height, tunable suspension, and/or skid plates, then it may be worth purchasing.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now