New Tax Credit Bill

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New Tax Credit Bill

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New Tax Credit Bill

• New Tax Credit Bill

Raj Giandeep updated 2 days, 7 hours ago 11 Members · 16 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

September 13, 2021 at 7:24 am

Please write your Congressperson and let them know that you oppose the new bill that will give $12,500 credits to the big 3 and probably nothing for Aptera because it has only three wheels. Should the government be subsidizing F150 Lightnings that will probably get 2 miles/KWh at the expense of a Aptera that gets 10 miles/KWh. The credits are simply not necessary anymore, the entry level price of the Aptera is only $26K and they are doing it through innovation not by government subsidies. This bill encourages watt guzzlers at the expense of innovative cars from startups. I don’t think there should be any subsidy at this point, it’s not necessary at this point. The top three selling EVs are the Model Y, Model 3 and Bolt, none of which get a tax credit under the current law.

Even if they retain a subsidy it should be much smaller, $12,500 is obscene.

• Steve L

September 13, 2021 at 8:07 am

I think they should tie the credits to efficiency because the goal is to reduce energy consumption.

• Joshua Rosen

September 13, 2021 at 8:25 am

The Biden administration has zero interest in the environment, this bill is about the UAW and the UAW alone. If this was about the environment the credit would be tied to miles/KWh and if it was rational it would be capped at a much lower level. $12,500 is obscene. I’d rather there be no subsidy at all, let the market sort things out. When the original bill was passed the tax credit made sense, batteries cost $1000/KWh at the time. It was a way of jump starting the technology so that the costs could come down. They are down enough at this point where EVs are competitive on their own. Aptera plans to start at $26K, that’s really cheap for any car. The average new car in the US is over $40K. Even GM was able to price the Bolt in the very low 30s, if LG hadn’t screwed them that would have been a very affordable car.

• Joey

September 13, 2021 at 8:48 am

I don’t understand why it’s limited to 4 wheel vehicles. What’s the rational behind that?

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 13, 2021 at 9:09 am

How about writing to your Congressperson and asking that the credit be extended to three wheeled vehicles?

• Joshua Rosen

September 13, 2021 at 10:26 am

I wrote mine suggesting no credit at all. Let the market decide. The price of the vehicle should reflect the manufacturing cost and it’s desirability, the government shouldn’t be picking and choosing because it will always make the wrong choice. In the case of this bill you can see it’s driven by Democratic politics not by national interest. They’ve put not just a finger but their whole hand on the scale to favor the UAW. This allows the legacy automakers to get away with cobbling together inefficient EVs and have the government give them a subsidy that makes up for their sloppy designs.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 13, 2021 at 10:30 am

What Bob said! This shouldn’t be about “either/or” – it should be about “both/and”.

The issue isn’t about the Bill being “anti-Aptera” – because, in truth, there IS no Aptera – yet: The company is a start-up that’s still in the earliest stages of vehicle development. Larger, established auto makers have a greater likelihood of successfully producing under-$40K EVs: Look, for example, at how many under-$40K Model 3 vehicles Tesla has produced and sold as compared to, say, Chevy Bolts.

As to the Bill pandering to the UAW, the rebate isn’t tied to Union-built vehicles – there’s an ADDITIONAL rebate if the EV is Union-made. Consider the number of workers who will lose their jobs as auto makers shift to EV production: Engines, transmissions and fuel systems require many part to be manufactured, assembled and installed while electric motors, batteries & battery packs and power electronics are mostly built by machines/robots. And there’s nothing saying that Aptera couldn’t choose to become a Union shop.

The only reason the Bolt was/is “affordable” is because most of it is built in and shipped from LG in Korea: LG provides the motor, the battery, the drivetrain, the HVAC system and the electronics to control it all. The body and interior were designed by GM Korea (working with LG) and are now produced in the US. GM is large enough to take a loss on the Bolt to keep the price down: Compare it to other small EVs that are built and shipped to the US from Korea – the Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona – both of which are priced over $40K.

Disparaging the current administration for not doing enough is disingenuous as they are, at least, doing something – unlike the previous administration which toiled to undo what had already been done, to “turn back the clock”, as it were. Could they do more? You betcha – but will Congress allow the Bill in its current form to become law? Prolly not – items like subsidies are used, historically, as bargaining points.

• John Tyler

September 13, 2021 at 11:09 am

Messages sent

• Peter Jorgensen

September 13, 2021 at 1:44 pm

I wonder if between Elio, Vanderhall, and Aptera there is any lobbying power to get rebates for three wheeled EVs added? Or are we pretty much just SOL?

Personally I’d like to see vehicles taxed according to their emissions (Like Norway does).

Tax the coal rolling duramax and put that money into better EV infrastructure. If someone wants to ruin our air they can pay accordingly.

• John Malcom

September 13, 2021 at 2:16 pm

This is not a forum for political discourse for or against any administration nor is it a place for expressing personal political views. There is plenty of room on the plethora of popular social media for that kind of posting.

I don’t want to know anybody’s personal political perspective or their communication with their representatives, nor will I share mine. Our Forum Guidelines provide that kind of counsel to us as well.

Aptera has a professional lobbying group and a group of Ambassadors that will work in concert with them to formulate and execute a lobbying plan at the local, state, and national level. If that group wants members of the forum to help they will provide information on what consistent story they would like us to propagate and to whom.

From the business perspective, and the success of Aptera Motors, there is certainly nothing wrong with encouraging actions that will lower a price point for EV vehicle purchases. Expands the market and increases volume of sales. Isn’t that what we really want??? more Apterae on the road for the environment and to lower our personal driving expense?? So lobbying for no incentive is counter productive for us, Aptera, and those that need financial help to become direct environmental contributors. I would like to see an Aptera in every household regardless of the family income level.

But lets keep the discussions on this forum to talking about Aptera

fixed the formatting typos 😜

• Peter Jorgensen

September 13, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Well said – I just wish I could do something to help. I don’t know what to do besides contact my representatives which are all voting against the bill I’m sure… So nobody will listen to them anyway right?

• John Malcom

September 13, 2021 at 5:58 pm

I think you are doing something, you are buying an Aptera. Who knows what works these days. I am pretty sure the Lobbying Team will figure the best thing to do and if we are needed they will call on us. Lobbying is more important/effective than constituent write ins. The write ins go to a junior staffer and the principle rarely sees the results

• Lee Janes

September 16, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Well said John😄

• Jose Torre-Bueno

September 16, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Totaly agree w/ John. Aptera is lobbying to be included. The last thing we want is to kill the bill. I will say that writing to congress is helpful. It is true the congressbeing will never see your letter but they are counted up by staff and the totals are relevant to them.

• Joshua Rosen

September 17, 2021 at 7:12 am

One more detail from this terrible bill. They do have a provision for three wheelers, it’s only $2500. However they are giving $4000 rebates to plugin hybrids as long as the battery is 10KWh or more. That means that a Toyota Prius Prime with a pathetic 25 miles of range will get a $4000 rebate, an Aptera with a 1000 miles of range will get only $2500.

• Raj Giandeep

September 17, 2021 at 1:09 pm

https://youtu.be/vlj-CRwpYgA?t=634

This video mentions 2 & 3 wheel EVs is part of the proposed bill.
    $2500 up to 10% max

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now