New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New solar vehicle

• New solar vehicle

John Malcom updated 2 weeks, 6 days ago 5 Members · 11 Posts
  • Pistonboy

September 2, 2021 at 6:23 pm

In this video, they mention a new EV solar vehicle. I believe it is called “Sono Motors”.

They say that a week of solar charging can add 70 to 150 miles of range.

This certainly makes the Aptera look good.

https://youtu.be/twxxJ3nJTJo?t=318

• Henry Kitt

September 2, 2021 at 6:34 pm

Yeah alot of people know about that car already, however what’s more interesting is that just yesterday they announced they have over 14,000 preorders. This is for a vehicle that’s not as good as an Aptera, has a 500 euro deposit, and isn’t slated to come out until 2023, in Europe. That also bodes quite well for Aptera.

• Joshua Rosen

September 2, 2021 at 6:53 pm

It’s a van, it’s in a completely unrelated segment. All it has in common with Aptera are the solar cells which are just a gimmick in both case but much more for Sono. The Aptera’s super high efficiency means that at it’s home in San Diego it could in theory get enough power from the sun to handle a common commute, elsewhere it’s not as useful. For the Sono there is no scenario where it can capture enough solar energy to do anything useful. The Sono is a city van, it doesn’t have enough range to go anywhere. It’s range is only 305KM WLTP, which will probably translate into 150-175 miles EPA. The killer feature of the Aptera is it’s extreme range, 400 miles for the cheap one and 600 miles for the middle priced one.

I don’t see any future for Sono, vans and mini-buses are mainstream vehicles that will have plenty of competition from the legacy automakers, the VW Buzz will be out by then. And when Stelantis finally get’s it’s act together expect to see a BEV Pacifica, they already have a plugin Pacifica so BEV version is obvious.

• Henry Kitt

September 2, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Solar powered is not just a gimmick, for many people it’s their “Sol” reason for buying these vehicles. So we can watch these idiots at the gas tank and at supercharging stations and laugh. So those that don’t have a house or garage can realistically own an EV. For colder climates it won’t offer as much charge, but most people are boring and just drive 20 miles a day, to work, back home, stopping for fast food or supermarket on the way back. Solar is a BIG deal and will become a bigger deal over time.

• John Malcom

September 2, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Joshua, the “Cheap” Aptera has a range of 250 miles. Then comes the 400, 600, and 1000 mi!e ranges

• Joshua Rosen

September 3, 2021 at 8:02 am

I don’t believe they will ever build the 250 mile or the 1000 mile versions. The 1000 mile version adds 400-500lbs of weight over the 600 mile version which they’ve said will require a redesign of the suspension, it also has almost no benefit over the 600 mile version. The 250 mile version won’t have enough profit margin. The 250 mile version is strictly a price play, if there was a level playing field then there would be a market for it but with the current Federal tax law it won’t be competitive with cheap four wheel EVs which will get a $7500 tax credit that Aptera’s aren’t eligible for.

• John Malcom

September 3, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Joshua, of course they will (“Build it and they will come”)Aptera must build the 1000 mile version as it is there strongest tag line in their marketing approach as it is the “Reason” for their obsession for efficient design. Also if they reneged on building the 1000mi version they would be subject to accusations of misleading advertising with possible legal consequences, (Nicola and Lordstown Motors) and of course, lose credibility in the market.

WRT the 250 mile version, that range is considered the current “Standard” for an EV to be practical and all that is needed for urban and suburban EVs users. More important, it is engineered to be at a price point that is reachable by almost all new car buyers. They can buy a 250mi Aptera and get all of Aptera advantages, both tech and social responsibility, while driving a cool car.

Much like when I was young, I could buy a brand new car (VW bug) for $1200.00!!!! I guess that sure dates me.🙁

• Joshua Rosen

September 3, 2021 at 1:54 pm

My first car cost $1200 also, it was a 71 Ford Maverick with 12,000 miles on it, I cashed in my Bar Mitzvah bonds to buy it.

Maybe I’m wrong about the 250 mile version. The market for Aptera’s might be bifurcated, old farts like you and me who are buying them for road trips and young people who are buying them to commute. With only two seats it’s not a family car or a primary car for anyone who might ever need to transport a third person. I do weekly road trips in good weather, going to Brattleboro Vermont tomorrow and Camden Maine a week from tomorrow. The Vermont trip can be done without Supercharging but Camden will require at least two Supercharger stops and I’m planning to do three. The 600 mile Aptera can do Camden without any charging stops and that’s the longest trip we make. For younger people the primary use for a two seater will be commuting and for that 250 miles is good enough, if that’s what you are buying it for then saving some money makes sense. I’m not convinced that it’s a good move for Aptera to sell the 250 mile version. They are going to be production limited and I’m not convinced that they will lose many sales if their cheapest version is the 400 mile car, most of the people who only need the 250 mile version would upgrade to the 400 mile one which has higher margins for Aptera.

As for the 1000 mile version. Yes it’s a potential halo car but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra engineering cost to come out with it. It’s going to weigh 500lbs more than the 600 mile version which requires a sturdier suspension and the battery is going to be 1.66X the size of the 600 mile battery. After 500 real world miles, which the EPA 600 mile version will provide, there is absolutely no benefit to greater range. If you are doing 1000 miles in a day it’s going to be all on Interstates where there are plenty of fast chargers. A 1000 mile trip is going to require five stops for bathroom and food breaks which gives plenty of opportunities to charge. Even an extreme masochist is going to make at least three stops.

• John Malcom

September 3, 2021 at 2:58 pm

I think you got a better deal than I did on your first car. My bug was always in the shop mostly with wiring issues.

I don’t think anyone can really tell how successful Aptera will be with a two seater at any of the ranges. It will be a novelty for sure, even in an expanding EV market with growing acceptance, and I think that can go both ways. The “Fun to drive – fad” cars of a a little more than decade ago (VW new Bug, PT Cruiser, Mini) are all gone except the mini. The mini sells a few EVs but not many and Fiat sells a 500e but not many. Both are low range cars.

You and I have the best selling EV cars in the world, the Tesla Model 3. Mine is OK, but a little dull to drive, thus my interest in the Aptera 2 seat.

For my self I have had two seaters most of my life supplemented with a larger vehicle when we had kids. We are empty nesters now. I had several Miata’s, and one BWW two seater you highlighted in one of your posts. Also had a 71 Lotus Europa and a recent Lotus Elise. I would not take any of these on a road trip. I still have one two seater, a Lamborghini Diablo, that is only driven on weekends. (10 to 11MPG around town 😒) We keep it because it increases in value every year.

I am not a distance driver. I will drive the 125 miles from Jacksonville to Orlando but that is it. I am a pilot and have an old reciprocating twin engine Beach. If we have to go more than 200 miles we get in the plane, fly, and rent a car if we need to drive locally. We dive a lot in the Keys. It is a 6-8 hour drive no matter what car you have. Quicker and more fun to fly.

Now maybe if they would put wings on the Aptera……..

• BMW Bloch

September 2, 2021 at 8:10 pm

The Sion of Sono Motors is not new. They have been working on it for years. I put down money / reservation in 2018 and have since cancelled (and gotten my money back). Back then they had racked-up 8000 pre-orders. I was confirmed as 7141 …

I don’t think they have the financial means to make it and the car looks like some Fiat from the 90s.

I see a much better chance for the Xbus to make it into production. But I would not invest into it, nor make a reservation before they enter production.

• Henry Kitt

September 3, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Joshua, also the 1,000 miles version is definitely what people will want to buy if they want to live off the grid. Nomadic lifestyle is becoming more popular and it will be a great vehicle that can be used to charge basically everything you own while traveling through and camping in deserts or wherever. With V2H non-nomads could use it for their homes with no worries. Releasing an actual production 1,000 mile range solar car could also probably make it the most talked about vehicle in the world, for a little while, and buyers get bragging rights.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now