Motor Trend article

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Motor Trend article

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Motor Trend article

• Motor Trend article

David Maddon updated 1 week, 4 days ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • John Belmonte

October 1, 2021 at 5:40 pm

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-aptera-solar-ev-first-look-review/

The article is skeptical about the car’s ability to dissipate heat from the A/C cooling system. Anyone following that closely?

• Raj Giandeep

October 1, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Did notice that in the articles. Another thing to remember is that cabin air & perhaps “engine bay” air is released by 2 vents by the license plate in back. Still unknown if they will use a heat pump or not. I hope so.

• Robert Klasson

October 2, 2021 at 1:08 am

Unless I’m mistaken, a heat pump is just running an AC in reverse. I don’t know how much you need to modify an AC to run both ways, but the gains in efficiency in colder climates should more than make up for it. If not for the first iteration, I would be somewhat disappointed if they didn’t pursue it sooner rather than later considering they are all about efficiency.

• David Maddon

October 9, 2021 at 9:56 pm

The issue with the heat pump was getting a manufacture to warrant their product that was using such a new and innovative system such as their skin dissipating heat and delivering such small numbers.

• John Malcom

October 2, 2021 at 8:34 am

Skepticism is unfortunate, but to be expected at this early stage in the development cycle. as the prototypes move forward, Aptera testing data is generated and published, and finally when government safety data is met and potentially exceeded, this skepticism will fade.

Of course, it will turn to enthusiasm as people actually see and get to drive the vehicles. 😉

• John Malcom

October 2, 2021 at 8:38 am

Robert, heat pumps for vehicles are relatively common. The issue with installing in Aptera is the weight. To this point, Aptera is working to find or perhaps have someone build(?) one appropriate to meet Aptera’s high standards for efficiency. I know they are continuing the sourcing activity with the goal in mind of having a suitable heap pump for Aptera

• John Trotter

October 3, 2021 at 8:42 am

Custom designed heat pump would make sense, but probably not easy. Lots of differences compared to, for example, my Model Y:

— fewer human bodies to cool or warm (btw, seat heaters may be more efficient/effective than cabin heating)

— smaller, tighter cabin with, probably, lower heat/cool through the body (composite vs metal)

— lower motor cooling loads (if air cooling is not enough by itself)

— smaller battery to cool/heat (in most cases)

— May be relatively larger windscreen to defrost/defog.

As an engineer, this would be a great challenge!

• John Malcom

October 3, 2021 at 9:26 am

All good points from an Engineer. Good for forum followers to see some of the considerations specific to designing for an Aptera. Helps us to appreciate the challenge for Aptera engineers and admire the progress they have made to date

• Ken Bolinsky

October 3, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Their objective is to find an off-the-shelf heat pump as nearly ANY heat pump will use less power than a resistive heating system…

• Michael Rennick

October 4, 2021 at 9:29 am

The article as a whole was fairly positive. I wouldn’t be too bothered by concerns that they raised. The AC system is an open question. I have my own concerns about belly cooling efficiencies while sitting in stop and go traffic here in Atlanta in August. It’s going to be a challenge.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now