Mechanical Neutral?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Mechanical Neutral?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Mechanical Neutral?

• Mechanical Neutral?

Binh Cheung updated 4 weeks ago 7 Members · 7 Posts
  • Jason Rowberg

September 24, 2021 at 7:58 am

Read an interesting article on Jalopnik this morning about a Tesla that broke down on the freeway and could not be moved. https://jalopnik.com/a-tesla-bricking-itself-on-the-highway-is-a-reminder-th-1847734019 — apparently this is a problem common to EV’s.

I’m curious if the design for Aptera has included some safety features for allowing a disabled vehicle to be mechanically disengaged from the drive train, brakes, etc. so it can be easily moved out of traffic or towed with something other than a flatbed truck?

• Morris Wilder

September 24, 2021 at 9:19 am

What a coincidence! I read that same article this morning. Interesting problem that I hope I will not experience in my Aptera.

• Paul Evans

September 24, 2021 at 9:23 am

That’s definitely one that should be filed under “YIKES“! One of Aptera’s many differentiators is the in-wheel-motors. So maybe it’s a “feature” of BEV transmissions.

I’m curious about how the parking/emergency break will work. Will it be manually engaged? If not, will total power loss automatically engage it?

Maybe we’ll have to wait until the Beta model rolls out to learn more. It’s likely a question for the body controls team…..

• kerbe2705

September 24, 2021 at 9:58 am

e-parking brakes – on Tesla and many other EVs – are motor-driven devices that screw a clamp onto one or more of the vehicle’s brake discs.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 24, 2021 at 9:45 am

There is no drivetrain. The motor is directly in the wheel hub. So to turn the wheel, you must turn the motor. You can disengage the brakes and manually turn the motor if it has no power applied to it and/or it’s set up to reduce resistance to movement. But it’s always connected.

We’ll have to see what options there are with beta vehicles. My Niro EV has a “P Release” button to release park if the car is dead.

I’ve also heard of newer manual transmission ICE cars getting stuck with the electronic parking brake on and the battery dead – and they couldn’t be moved until the battery was jumped and the brake released.

Always carry a little 12V jump box. They’re cheap and tiny and light and 12V EV batteries die fast and frequently.

• Leonard Nowak

September 24, 2021 at 2:02 pm

Not worth asking Elaphe but Yes we will have to see how Aptera finalizes things

I do remeber in a video with Chris and Steve where Chris was saying how light the Noir is and pushed it with one finger a very short distance

But that was the first alpha vehicle and who knows l, if at that early stage, things were engaged representing production …

• Binh Cheung

September 25, 2021 at 12:34 pm

It is direct drive depending if the parking brake is one of those automatic ones or not. My ZeroSR is direct drive via belt and if no throttle (bike on or off) will can be pushed if like in neutral.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now