Maker Series (Right to Repair)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Maker Series (Right to Repair)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Maker Series (Right to Repair)

• Maker Series (Right to Repair)

kerbe2705 updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • Wesley Cawman

October 19, 2021 at 8:00 am

I’m really enjoying the “maker” series of videos. Can we get a maker video touching on some of the right to repair scenarios? I’m most interested in how we might access the battery for future upgrades. And how we might upgrade the solar cells. Is everything mostly plug and play? Or are there specifics future owners should know about?

Would someone be able to swap out an individual solar cell and calculate their own cost benefit analysis before upgrading the entire set of cells?

Could someone purchase the 400 mile range battery pack, and remove part of it for daily drives. Or add the next generation of battery packs onto the existing set (say 5 years down the road?)

• kerbe2705

October 19, 2021 at 9:43 am

Considering that they haven’t yet decided how Aptera is going to be built and – in some cases – what materials are going to be used to build it, I’m guessing that the video you hope to see won’t be available for quite some time… πŸ™‚

• John Trotter

October 19, 2021 at 11:24 am

Wesley, I agree that more on right-to-repair would be nice, but do suspect it’s a bit early for anything very polished. I wonder if there is a list anywhere of the specific “repairs” that need to be addressed, from simple to more advanced.:

– replace tire/wheel

– replace brake pads (infrequently)

– replace lights

– service AC/heat

– chase down rattles (has been the bane of my recent cars)

– apply new wrap (patterns available?)

– screen replacement

– glass replacement

– service doors and hatches

– 12vdc battery replacement (and, if it will be old fashioned or Li- )

– Main battery replacement

– Any electronics replacements

– Body repairs, from small dings to larger-but-fixable bashes

– Seat mechanism repair. (not clear if this is just mechanical at this point)

– Etc. There are always Etc-things that need fixing, but what might they be?

• Ray Holan

October 21, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for the list, John. I’ve been thinking about one of the typical objections to buying an Aptera: “Where will I get it repaired?”

We know there is no dealer network, nor are there any authorized Aptera repair shops. If neither of these are going to be established in the short term future, that leaves us first wave of Aptera owners only the DIY route and thereby limits the appeal of the vehicle. A systematic effort to put together a resource such as a series of YouTube Aptera repair/replacement videos would be well worth it. That would address some of the “repair anxiety” prospective owners might have.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 21, 2021 at 3:53 pm

My thoughts:

– replace brake pads (infrequently): Probably not – They should last the life of the motor.

– replace lights: Unscrew, swap in part, rescrew, aim. Aiming will be something I’ll probably adjust at home.

– service AC/heat: I’m hiring a shop for that… Probably standard AC service.

– apply new wrap (patterns available?): Also hiring a shop.

– screen replacement: Unplug, unscrew, swap, replug, rescrew.

– 12vdc battery replacement (and, if it will be old fashioned or Li- ): Yeah I’m doing that myself.

– Main battery replacement: Oh hail no. It’s going on a truck to San Diego.

– Body repairs, from small dings to larger-but-fixable bashes

Most impacts would not leave any “dings” or “dents” and would only leave scratches. If there’s a sharp impact in one spot (bullet hole from a pickup truck driver for example) then standard boat fiberglass repair. I already do this at home but most boat shops would do it too. Then re-wrap if needed.

• Pistonboy Delux

October 21, 2021 at 8:58 pm

As I understand, many Tesla repairs are done by mechanics who come to the vehicle to work on it. I assume something like this can be arranged for Aptera. Will Aptera have a list of Aptera approved mechanics all over the world? This would be a very large undertaking. Warranty service needs to be in place before the first vehicle is delivered to a customer.

One possibility would be to use Tesla approved mechanics. They are already experienced on working on EVs at people’s homes. I don’t know if these mechanics are Tesla employees in which case this may be difficult, or if they are independent mechanics who are approved by Tesla.

• Ray Holan

October 22, 2021 at 5:17 am

I have a good friend in Wisconsin who works on Telsa models in the field. He has an independent repair shop specializing in EV’s and a deep skillset from repairing Leafs, Prius, Honda Insights and the like. Not sure if he is factory authorized or not. Someone like him would certainly be a prime candidate for the role of Aptera customer support and repair person.

• Joshua Rosen

October 22, 2021 at 6:38 am

Definitely not factory certified. Tesla does not support third party repair. Your friend and shops like his, Electrified Garage being the most famous, rely on salvaged parts to repair Tesla’s. The two poster boys for anti-right to repair are Apple and Tesla. Apple goes so far as to restrict their suppliers from selling parts to anyone but Apple, Tesla makes their own parts which they won’t sell to third party repair shops.

• Arlen Bell

October 22, 2021 at 9:47 pm

On the topic of tires, I’d like to see a video showing how to change the tires on the motors. Even though plugging a simple flat can be done, tires can get more severely damaged and will wear so we need to know how they can be changed. I’m guessing this necessitates the removal of the motor wheel assembly. I was speaking with my mechanic (former GM Master Mechanic) about Aptera and we got into a discussion about this. He’s very intrigued by these in wheel motors and would like to know how to handle a tire replacement. Perhaps the motor manufacturer might already have something on this. It would be good to know this could be done locally when necessary. I’m already working on planning for maintenance and repair issues. Never too early.

• kerbe2705

October 22, 2021 at 10:02 pm

These are Aptera’s wheels: You’ll note that they have a standard 5-nut pattern. They will be removed and installed like any common 16″automobile wheel. As to how the front wheel pants and the rear wheel skirt will allow access to the wheels, that we do not yet know. We also don’t know the location of the lifting points for using a jack. These decisions will be made before the vehicle enters production.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now