Aptera performance (0-60, 1/4 mi, etc)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera performance (0-60, 1/4 mi, etc)

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera performance (0-60, 1/4 mi, etc)

• Aptera performance (0-60, 1/4 mi, etc)

michael-apple updated 4 months ago 33 Members · 42 Replies
  • henry-kitt

October 15, 2021 at 7:35 am

Aptera can be considered a supercar in that regard. In general its 0-60 is better than most supercars of the past, and faster than most present ones if it really is under 3 seconds.

The cheapest car that beats the Aptera is probably the Corvette C8, which will by going up in price they’ve said but is already 2x the price of an Aptera.

The butterfly doors also lend to the supercar feel. 0-60 is what matters, or is cool, in real everyday driving, not top speed.

• joshua-rosen

October 15, 2021 at 8:36 am

It’s not a race car, it has a top speed of only 110 MPH so it won’t beat anything on a track. I have zero interest in a muscle car, what I’m hoping for is that it’s nimble and has good handling, a modern MGB not a modern Roadrunner. I want to take it over Vermont mountain roads at 40MPH, as far as 0-60 is concerned anything better than 7 seconds is fine. The Leno video was not encouraging but that was the Alpha, the beta will have a Roush suspension so I’m hoping for much better.

• ray-holan

October 15, 2021 at 10:15 am

Hey there, fanfare. Got a kick out of the list. While the low 0-60 time of the Aptera is not the most compelling feature that sold me on buying one, it is one of the standard questions that will probably be asked by people even remotely curious about Aptera.

What’s it cost? How fast is it (both top speed and o-60)? How far on a charge? What happens when an SUV hits you? These are to be anticipated. There’s a certain wow factor about an EV that can beat the 0-60 time of much more expensive ICE cars. Let’s not forget the safety benefit of being able to get out of someone else’s way in a hurry. It’s not just about testosterone-infused bragging rights. Not that I have anything against anyone who’s into hotrods.

• trollfaced-hudagmail-com

February 5, 2022 at 6:07 am

if remove wheel cover, can install grippier wider tire for customers who want to take advantage of the low weight for this kind of stuff. but the experiments needs to be done by somone, maybe a youtuber customer (they need novel content) so others who care about it would consider aptera for this kind of use, plus the different appearance of car etc.

• Investor-Lost

February 5, 2022 at 11:43 am

There is a big difference between written performance estimates and real-world performance.

Aptera can’t beat anything until it is actually being produced.

• curtis-cibinel

February 5, 2022 at 1:34 pm

More important in the real world is the moose test speed (iso double lane change). They haven’t said anything and are still working on it but by analyzing the video (at 1/4 speed) and test specs it looks like they have beta doing the test at 45 mph (72 kph). This means any stability concerns with 3 wheels are a non issue and the aptera will out handle most 4 wheeled cars in an emergency.

• Stuppie

February 17, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Does anybody know on what battery version the acceleration is based. I assume it is on the biggest pack? And if so….could the lesser weight versions even be faster than 3,5(3 motors) seconds and 5 seconds(2 motors)? And how much faster would that be? This all based on what I saw on the latest drag race video with the Audi and the Tesla…..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Elzo Stubbe. Reason: forgot a I
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • joshua-rosen

February 17, 2022 at 2:39 pm

They haven’t built any big battery versions yet. Their production plan is to do 40KWh (give or take, the exact number is still up in the air) first, then the 25KWh version. The 60KWh and 100KWh battery versions will follow. According to the video they put up yesterday when they were answering ambassador questions they haven’t finalized the battery pack and it sounds like they haven’t quite finalized the battery supplier, thus the uncertainty about the exact pack size. Until they’ve built a production intent vehicle and actually tested it the published performance numbers should all be taken with a shaker full of salt. I don’t see how they can have real numbers for the range and acceleration until late summer, and that will be for the 40KWh battery. Real numbers for the 60KWh and 100KWh versions can’t possibly be available until sometime next year.

• ricky-camacho

February 17, 2022 at 4:04 pm

I asked the same questions on one of the webinars, they said that the 25kw battery should be faster like a 3.1 sec but that they can’t know for sure yet. cross fingers!!

• KayleighVenne

February 17, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Hi Elzo! Thank you for this question. We are still testing to establish more accurate numbers all around to see exactly how the weight affects acceleration. But what I can tell you is: The time it takes to get from 0-60 mph will increase as your battery pack size goes up. We expect .2 – .4 of a second difference between the times from 25kWh to 100kWh packs.

• kerbe2705

February 17, 2022 at 7:54 pm

@Kayleigh Venne Terrific information! Could it be added to the FAQ on Google Drive?

• Riley

February 18, 2022 at 6:42 am

a potential 3.1 second 0-60 on the fastest specked version is amazing. I wonder what kind of crazy numbers a rear dully would provide, sub 2.9 second quad motor aptera.

• ray-holan

March 12, 2022 at 10:59 am

Aptera Owner’s Club just posted that https://www.motormatchup.com website has included data sets for different Aptera configurations. These can be used to run a simulated drag race against another make and model car you choose. I ran my prospective 40kWh AWD Aptera against my Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid. You get a very entertaining graphic portrayal of the “race” with results. It’s all “fantasy football”, but a real hoot! Try it out.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • curtis-cibinel

March 12, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Here is a fun matchup – different winners at various ranges. https://motormatchup.com/simulation?id=&ids=6142321f831978846a96b754%2C6078611961d9a3cc1a8dce50%2C606b2f9205cd693ba59b1ee4&distance=1&starting_speed=0&surface=DRY

Ps: my original post seems to have been eaten.

• curtis-cibinel

March 13, 2022 at 8:53 am
  • JRWiley

June 20, 2022 at 6:58 am

A question for those who have driven an EV: will the accelerating torque be the same at 70 mph as it is at 5 mph.? Another way to ask: is the accelerating torque the same at all speeds? “Accelerating torque” – please forgive me if this is an inaccurate way to identify what I’m asking. Hope it is clear. Correct me if there is a better way to ask this question.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  John Wiley.
  • Greek

June 20, 2022 at 9:05 am

I can own both an electric car and electric motorcycle. I guess for me the best way to describe. Torque will always be at hundred percent available…almost instantaneously, your motors though have their limits, just like any combustion engine. My i3 is extremely fast off the line but eventually looses it’s initial gain as the electric motor reaches its capacity. No different riding my Zero srf bike (although much more thrilling). An example, Roll-on numbers reflect from 40–60 in 1.2 seconds and 60–80 in only 1.7 seconds. I am expecting similar numbers from the Aptera…both are advertised at 0-60 at 3.5 seconds…Aptera using 3 motors. Hope this was helpful.

• michael-n

August 20, 2022 at 2:37 pm

I am not sure if I missed it, but did they publish expected braking distance? In a light car/auto cycle safety comes down to the ability to avoid an incident. Acceleration is more than adequate and I am hoping braking distance is the same. Any thoughts or facts regarding this issue ?

• OkieKev

August 20, 2022 at 3:43 pm

Outside of the moose test, nothing has been stated as of yet. They may be waiting for crash testing and such. Seems like it would have been a good time at the track to test and get/give some numbers on braking distances. Just one more thing to throw up on top of the “wait and see” pile.

• henry-robin

September 6, 2022 at 1:05 pm

I’d like to start by saying that the testing method mentioned in this post is standard for a lot of American car companies and magazines, including the NHRA and all major car manufacturers, and I am merely wondering if Aptera uses this testing method as opposed to accusing them of doing so.

Let’s cover this definition first: Rollout.

Rollout or rollout allowance in North-American drag racing is the difference between actual acceleration time and measured acceleration time. For the published 0 to 60 mph acceleration time in North America, a rolling start is used, beginning 1 foot (0.3 m) after the initial standing start position.Rollout or rollout allowance in North-American drag racing is the difference between actual acceleration time and measured acceleration time. For the published 0 to 60 mph acceleration time in North America, a rolling start is used, beginning 1 foot (0.3 m) after the initial standing start position.

This means every 0-60 time, from Toyota Prius’ to Tesla Plaids, are actually not 0-60 times, they are the time of speed after 1 foot to 60mph. This is important because when you’re accelerating you have to avoid overcoming the traction of the tires. Imagine if in the first one foot you spin the tires, adding .3 seconds of time. This pushes the Tesla plaid to 2.29 seconds and the aptera to 3.8 seconds. Also, sometimes the acceleration in the first foot is less acceleration than the remaining because getting things going from a stop is harder than getting something going that’s already moving.

There is also the question about battery weight. Theoretically, the fastest model of the Aptera will be the one with the smallest battery, as it will take less energy to reach the same momentum if you have a lesser amount of mass. The 0-60 time does not change between battery models which is a big question mark to me.

I will end this post with a request from Aptera: Launch Mode. With all of these questions it seems strange to request, as I have more questions than answers regarding this topic, but I have to say that 0-60 speed is one of the biggest factors in my decision to buy an Aptera and I’d like more transparency and testing regarding the subject. I’d hate for the community to have to figure out this by doing their own testing once vehicles begin getting delivered.

• henry-robin

September 6, 2022 at 1:41 pm

Some of us are environmental/efficiency enthusiasts, and some of us are environmental/efficiency enthusiasts and car enthusiasts. I happen to fall into the latter category and, while you might not be planning on going to car shows/drag strips to show off your new ride, I definitely am. I believe in this company so much and want to show everyone that science and engineering can be good for the environment and economical, as well as cool, aesthetic and fast.

• david-marlow

September 6, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I don’t know about actually measuring the times and I do normally drive for efficiency. However there are times when not having a quick acceleration time for me has been a little bit of a problem. Like trying to merge into heavy traffic on a 55 MPH road from a side street, especially when that heavy traffic is averaging 60 MPH.

• john-trotter

September 6, 2022 at 9:53 pm

The 0 to 60 concern, and the need for precision, is so yesterday. I venture to predict that noisy drag strips will go the way of steam tractor contests. Car tracks with curves will remain, with just wind and tire noise. That said, I have reserved an AWD Aptera so it can keep up with my Tesla Model Y Performance. Either will be faster to 60 mph than virtually all stock ICE cars out there. I’ll drive one or the other to old fashioned drag races or tractor pulls.

• Russell

September 7, 2022 at 5:24 am

I wonder if the 400 mile version would have a better 0-60 time than the 250. The additional weight and location of the weight might aid in traction of the rear wheel. Plus the larger pack would have less voltage drop under high loads.

• rickomatic

September 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I’ve looked for, but haven’t been able to find a published 1/4 mile time. Lot’s of us Boomers who grew up in the muscle car era use that as a reference point. Car and Driver, Hot Rod, and other car magazines always included 1/4 mile times along with 0-60 times. I’m just curious as to what the 1/4 mile times would be.

• Torsten.Freund

January 19, 2023 at 6:56 am

Dear Aptera,

HOW MUCH do the SMALLER BATTERIES than the top 100 kwh (and thus less weight) IMPROVE these capabilities (which less vehicle weight by definition does):

1. Max payload weight

2. Acceleration

3. Top speed

4. Miles per kWh

?

• Biker

January 19, 2023 at 10:59 am

@Torsten Freund Aptera staff rarely provide direct input into threads but you can see some of the estimates in this thread. More precise numbers probably won’t be available for quite some time.

• Biker

January 21, 2023 at 4:28 am

I assume the web site was very recently updated, but the performance numbers seem to be slipping. The power of the motor, which had been 50KW has been reduced to about 43KW. Also, in a recent podcast, Steve Fambro mentioned that the weight went up a bit due to the change to the skateboard design. Those two things have changed the published 0-60 times to 4 sec for the AWD configuration and 6s for the FWD configuration (from the previous 3.5s and 5.5s respectively).

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.