Licerion like battery tech

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Licerion like battery tech

Front Page Community Aptera Discussions Licerion like battery tech

• Licerion like battery tech

• Ian George

August 24, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Although my guess is this kind of ‘next gen’ battery tech won’t make it from the lab to product in time for the 1st generation of Apteras .. but .. It’s progress , even lighter battery that holds the same kwh of energy capacity .. I think it’s the kind of progress that fits in nicely with the design scope / philosophy Aptera is based on.

For those not already aware .. even the best modern BEVs today only achieve cell level between 200 and 250 wh/kg .. soo battery tech that does significantly better up around ~400wh/kg is very nice potential for weight savings.

https://sionpower.com/2021/sion-power-introduces-a-full-scale-rechargeable-battery-targeting-the-electric-vehicle-industry-over-400-wh-kg-and-810-wh-l/

<div>
    </div><div>

Licerion isn’t the only path that has been seen small steps of progress .. but as far as I know they are further long / closer to a market ready product than most of the others.

</div><div>

Right now they still have a little faster degradation rate .. ~80% in ~800 cycles .. means 400wh/kg becomes ~320wh/kg after ~800 cycles (~2yrs) .. then another ~80% down to ~250wh/kg after another ~2yrs .. soo , they are only better than what other BEVs are using today for the 1st 4-5 years of use .. and start to fall behind after that.

</div>

• Ian George

August 27, 2021 at 1:22 pm

clarification/correction .. I didn’t give a ‘fair’ representation previously when I did the 4-5 year .. because any other battery type used will also have degradation .. for example , batteries similar chemistry and treatment as Tesla sees a warranty of no more than 30% loss in 8 years .. soo if Tesla starts with a ~250wh/kg cell level then in ~8years it might only be expected to still have ~175wh/kg left .. a 400wh/kg Licerion at it’s last reported / tested ~20% loss in ~800 cycles .. 8 years with 365 charges per day is 2,920 charges / 800 = 3.65 sets of 800 .. 400 to 320 set 1 , 320 to 256 set2 , 256 to 204.8 set3 , ~178wh/kg to 0.65 of 4th set .. aka what that means is that after 8 years of daily use they would be roughly t the break even point .. but for the first 7+ years in the same vehicle space and weight the Licerion would offer more wh of battery capacity .. ~60% more when both are brand new.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now