Leve 2 Autonomy question.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Leve 2 Autonomy question.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Leve 2 Autonomy question.

• Leve 2 Autonomy question.

Joshua Rosen updated 1 week, 1 day ago 8 Members · 17 Posts
  • Doug Happ

October 9, 2021 at 12:55 pm

I just read about Level 2 autonomy capability (https://tinyurl.com/4fmembx4) and have a question. Would the Level 2 autonomy be of any assistance in getting into, or out of, a tight parking spot or single car garage door?

• Ken Bolinsky

October 9, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Not by definition, no: Automated parking features are another thing, entirely. Self-parking and automated parking features have been available in many different ICE vehicles for the past decade. “Autonomy” is about vehicles traveling along roads and highways.

• Doug Happ

October 9, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Ken,

Excellent answer. Very helpful.

Doug

• Carl Knapp

October 9, 2021 at 3:43 pm

Nearly 10 years ago I read an article about EV self-parking in apartments and high rises. The intent was the ability to have an EV back up automatically and out of the way to allow a portable battery charger to drive up to the vehicle so it could be charged where there are no charging stations. In 2017 VW patented (DE102017220017A1) the mobile charger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dftBK7ck650&ab_channel=YOUCAR

• David Maddon

October 9, 2021 at 9:24 pm

By definition no but in reality yes, it’s called a summons feature. It allows you to do just that just can’t use it in the road system in the cars that have it.

• Ken Bolinsky

October 10, 2021 at 8:56 am

“summoning” is not part of the autonomy standard, which was the question asked. It is a feature offered on some vehicles but, as most versions require someone to be standing nearby pushing a button, it’s more of a “remote control” thing….

• Doug Happ

October 9, 2021 at 9:46 pm

@David Maddon ?? I don’t understand what you wrote. ??

Sorry

Doug

• Paul Evans

October 9, 2021 at 10:08 pm

You may have seen commercials where a person walks up to their car only to find the some jerk has parked so close to the driver’s door that impossible to get into their car. So they get their key fob, press a button, and the car slowly backs out to the point that the driver is able to get in and drive away. That’s an example of a summons capability.

I wouldn’t expect such a feature be available in the early days of delivery but could be made available via remote update similar to those made by Tesla. I’d be delighted if it’s available by the time my number rolls around, though.

• Ken Bolinsky

October 10, 2021 at 8:59 am

Considering, though, that the body of the Aptera is narrower than its front wheels it would seem nigh on to impossible for another vehicle to park so close to an Aptera as to render its doors inaccessible…

• Doug Happ

October 10, 2021 at 9:11 am

Ken,

I’m getting a lot of good information regarding Level 2 and related technologies. All useful. The hidden agenda in my question is pulling into and pulling out of my single car garage door. As the doorway is currently constructed I will have 4 inches to play with. I have considered a possible modification to the opening moulding/weatherstripping that might get me another inch!

Backing out seems like it will be more challenging than pulling in. I was hoping that the vehicle might provide some whiz-bang technical help.

Doug

• Mark Shields

October 11, 2021 at 8:38 am

Never underestimate an oversized SUV or lifted truck owner’s capability in being selfish

• Oz Man

October 11, 2021 at 9:10 am

Mark, yup, I pointed out in the old comments section, if you park nose in, it would be very easy for one or two of the “Damn you green liberals” crowd, to pull their vehicles in in such a way as to block the wheel pods from being able to pull out.

• Doug Happ

October 12, 2021 at 7:33 am

Oz Man,

I’m hoping that those same unsavory characters do not make the challenge of backing the Aptera out of my garage any more difficult.

• Joshua Rosen

October 11, 2021 at 8:56 am

I’ve used Summon for exactly this purpose. Dumb summon, as opposed to Smart Summon which requires the car to navigate through a parking lot, shouldn’t be hard to implement as it doesn’t involve any navigation ability, the person holding the phone is doing everything.

• Doug Happ

October 12, 2021 at 7:35 am

Joshua,

Exactly which purpose? Parking space or single car garage?

• Joshua Rosen

October 12, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Pulling out of a parking space where some pinhead in a monster truck has parked so close that I can’t get to the drivers door, it’s happened to me twice. With the Tesla you just stand behind the car and use your phone to get the car to back out. All it needs to do is drive a few feet backwards in a straight line. Pulling out of a garage would be exactly the same thing.

• Doug Happ

October 10, 2021 at 8:40 am

@Paul Evans Thanks. Good explanation. Also, it is nice to think that there may be features that become available over time.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now