Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

• Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

Carl Knapp updated 2 weeks, 2 days ago 16 Members · 45 Posts
  • kerbe2705

October 5, 2021 at 12:19 pm

One of my favorite YouTube documentarians, Mx. Dirksen pays a visit to Aptera and rides in Sol! https://youtu.be/69_iKArvJBk

• kerbe2705

October 5, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Sol appears to have some serious “road rash” on the passenger-side wheel pant…

• Pistonboy Delux

October 5, 2021 at 7:03 pm

This illustrates why it is good if the composite is similar in color to the wrap. This particular Sol has black composite which shows when there is a scrape in the wrap. Hopefully the production Sols will have the off white color composite, and the Noir will have black composite, and the Luna will have gray composite.

• Leonard Nowak

October 5, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Indeed! Thanks for sharing…

• Wayne Forkum

October 5, 2021 at 3:39 pm

Great video, Nice to get a better look at the Alpha.

• John Wiley

October 5, 2021 at 4:43 pm

I agree. Great video. I think I got a better feel for the car than I had thus far.

Four things about the car that caught my attention – 1) Yes, a pretty deep scrape on the right side boot. 2) I’m wondering if that motor whine or hum can be mostly muted out (deadened) in the production. 3) When the car pulled into a parking spot with delineating white painted lines, the boots hung over the lines on both sides. 4). Both passengers seemed very surprised and a bit exhilarated by the acceleration of the FWD Sol. Fun to see. Hope they do a similar real life video of Luna (is that one going to be AWD?).

• John Wiley

October 5, 2021 at 4:46 pm

Oops. I called it a boot. S/b “pant” or maybe “pants”.

• Leonard Nowak

October 5, 2021 at 5:07 pm

I have had a ride in Sol.Very fast

As he said… It is only an alpha

Sound was mainly outside with the in wheel motors

No aero covers over the front arms do wide open now

Noir is AWD

• John Malcom

October 5, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Almost like taking a test drive! Very informal. A LOT of information on the Sol/Aptera. Glad to see control of the display is with buttons on the steering wheel. Counters complaints of having to reach over to touch the display to make a change while driving.

Was wide in the parking spot. Cringe

Borders on sacrilege that Chris would admit to driving a Tesla. At least it wasn’t an ICE. Probably should have been bleeped out

• kerbe2705

October 6, 2021 at 7:49 am

What the wheel-buttons control is determined by the screen – they are agnostic “joysticks”.

• Rick McKnight

October 6, 2021 at 4:46 am

I just wanted to say kudo’s to Kristen Dirksen and Aptera for putting together the most informative single video I’ve seen so far. This covers everything I’ve learned from watching a dozen other videos on Aptera. My only beef is that journalist are still being shown the original Alpha model, from 9 months ago. I would like to see them showing off the newer beta models with all the additional refinements.

• kerbe2705

October 6, 2021 at 8:05 am

From following other vehicles in development I’ve seen that journalists are usually more than happy to return as the process continues. They may not come running for beta, but they’re certain to sit up and take notice of gamma or delta!

• Alain Chuzel

October 6, 2021 at 7:20 am

Overall great video. Anyone have any idea on what Mr. Anthony meant by “powdered” (what I heard) crystalline cell at 4:42 mark? I’ve worked with the same basic cells (SunPower) for the last 15-ish years that they’ve been available and I’ve never heard of them referred to as “powdered”. They are single (or mono) crystalline Silicon cells of the IBC type (Inter-digitated Back Contact).

• Leonard Nowak

October 6, 2021 at 7:48 am

I don’t know whose product it is but saw the samples in their studio and it was very obvious on the dash in the Sol… as all the other cells looked like they were under the glossy clear resin outer skin

Best way to describe… a matte dark finish… looks like a dusty surface on a wafer board

Chris mentioned the advantage of the powder matrix over conventional flake like, in that it allows to conform to the curves of the Aptera body. Should is crack it could still function “ at some level”.

They have these cells are replaceable by anyone, to original or future more efficient cells

My picture is on the “Alpha Sol vehicle”. I imagine when they get up to the production version will be nicely set and fashioned easier to keep clean, etc. I assume these are the same that were under the clear resin of the body ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Alain Chuzel

October 6, 2021 at 8:10 am

I’m as near certain the cells are SunPower/Maxeon as I can be. The metallization pattern Mr. Anthony shows later in the video is a dead giveaway.

I’m familiar with the “matte dark finish” too. It’s a common look for anti-reflective “treated” single crystal silicon cells. I’m thinking that’s what triggered the phrase “powdered”. To repeat, however, it’s not unique to the cells Aptera appears to be using.

Much of the matte dark finish goes away after encapsulation as you effectively described with the word “glossy”.

Finally, if it’s not too sacrilegious to disagree, ANY appropriately thin silicon wafer (single or multi-crystalline) can conform to Aptera’s curves. In this case, however, the one advantage of the SunPower/Maxeon is the distribution of the rear metallization. Modest cracks would, indeed, minimally affect power output in, at least, the short term.

Thanks for your input.

• kerbe2705

October 6, 2021 at 8:02 am

These appear to be thin-film cells: The materials are, essentially, “powdered” and deposited onto a flexible substrate. This is what allows them to bend along two axes. The blue color is an indication that they are a form of polycrystalline cell.

• Alain Chuzel

October 6, 2021 at 8:31 am

I understand what you mean by thin-film cells. The cells they are using are decidedly not of that variety. They are IBC single crystal silicon cells with, mostly, distributed copper metallization on the rear. The blue color, by the way, is an indication that they have a certain anti-reflective treatment. Both single and poly crystalline silicon cells will, to varying degree, end up blue-ish. Without the anti-relective treatment, they are grey-ish. Grey-ish is the natural color of crystalline silicon.

Thanks for your input.

• Leonard Nowak

October 6, 2021 at 8:45 am

About 4:40 he mention monocystalline and it was mentioned before in answers…. ( less expensive than polycrystalline, I understand ) I only know what are on my home PV solar arrays , but different application and the cells are under typical rigid PV panel glass

• Alain Chuzel

October 7, 2021 at 6:30 am

Generally mono- is more expensive than poly- because poly- is easier to make. Of the mono’s, SunPower/Maxeon are generally the most expensive because they are a “premium” product. Mostly because of the efficiency.

• kerbe2705

October 8, 2021 at 6:23 pm

Monocrystalline cells are, literally, one thin wafer – and they’re black and they can’t be bent: If they crack, they stop working. Polycrystalline cells are made of multiple thin wafers and can be blue or black and they can’t be bent: If they crack, they stop working. Only thin film cells are always blue and can be bent and, if they crack, they continue to function.

• Alain Chuzel

October 9, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Nothing personal but practically nothing in what you have said above is true.

• Richard Palmisano

October 6, 2021 at 1:15 pm

That motor whine…

I know, I know, it’s still an alpha….

• Bryan Bowes

October 7, 2021 at 7:50 am

I like the whine actually lol! My Fiat 500e has that and I love it.

• Richard Palmisano

October 6, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Ok, so the video is cool…

…However, nothing really new here. Another ‘test drive’ with a few more details on their design processes of the Beta. It’s October, I would have thought maybe they would be on to Gamma and crash testing.

The comment related to the flexible solar cells as something “you can’t get off the shelf” is a little disingenuine. You can, check this: https://ebay.us/T9ajKP I did a little math and it would take aproximately 210 of these cells to get the 700 Watts of charging. It appears from the image below, that is about correct (I didn’t really get into counting them). Monocrystalyne cells are more efficient than Polycrystalyne, In the case of these Ebay cells, 22% +/- efficient.

Still excited…still have tons of questions…still want to actually see one on the road.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 6, 2021 at 2:20 pm

There are 184 cells total. For 700 watts total that gives us 3.804348 watts per cell.

Hood: 26 cells, 98.9 watts

Dash: 22 cells, 83.7 watts

Roof: 50 cells, 190.2 watts

Hatch: 80 cells, 304.3 watts

Tail: 6 cells, 22.83 watts

• Alain Chuzel

October 7, 2021 at 7:23 am

Assuming your numbers are correct, it would indicate that the ASSEMBLED
        and ENCAPSULATED average cell efficiency would be over 24.5%. That’s
        not likely. Aptera would be lucky to have an average cell efficiency of
        24.5% of UN-ASSEMBLED, UN-ENCAPSULATED (a.k.a. bare, individual) cells
        under what’s called “Standard Test Conditions” (S.T.C. for short). STC
        is very, very “idealistic”, by the way. In short, it’s possible the 700
        watt number is, ahem, optimistic.

• Richard Palmisano

October 8, 2021 at 5:01 am

Optimistic is what all entrepenuers are sir…that said, being realistic doesn’t sell snow cones to eskimos.

• Alain Chuzel

October 8, 2021 at 8:37 am

Agreed on the “optimistic is what all entrepreneurs are…” thing. Would be kinda of saddened if Aptera metaphorically wanted to sell snow cones to Eskimos though. This entrepreneur has tried to stick to two business philosophies: First – under promise and over deliver. Second – the job isn’t done until I get your next order. Both, I think, have served my humble business rather well.

• Oz Man

October 6, 2021 at 2:21 pm

I’m still a bit bothered by the instances of “oversell” that many of the answers that are given in various interviews/responses to questions/advertising have. In this case as they are showing off Sol and the solar and the statement is “This is a 700 watt system.” , but since Sol does not have the solar hatch, it does not have a 700 watt array. I would much prefer to hear, “This is a 400 watt system, and we have the option for up to a 700 watt one on a fully fitted out model.” It would avoid the possibility of Aptera being accused of misleading promises.

• Alain Chuzel

October 7, 2021 at 6:35 am

Agreed on the “little disingenuous” part. I’ve been buy SunPower/Maxeon cells direct from the manufacturer since the early 2000’s…..Usually a few thousand at a time….

• Leonard Nowak

October 7, 2021 at 10:09 am

For what it is worth..,

An answer from an old FAQ section

180 cells at ~ 3.8 each = 700W

Chris gas a “representative array on his house roof collecting results for some time now

What cells those are? I assume are the same

• Alain Chuzel

October 7, 2021 at 2:58 pm

It’s worth something! It shows Aptera’s been consistent with giving out the 700 watt number (for full solar package). The “representative” array that has been on someone’s roof likely had the SunPower IBC cells.

The most efficient solar panel available in the recent past/today (certain models of SunPower/Maxeon) calculates out to having individual cells (125 mm x 125 mm) at just about 3.8 watts each. These factory made panels are incredibly well made (~25 year power warranty) and, more importantly, have ALL their cells pointed nearly identically (normal) to the great ball-o-fire in the sky. Aptera’s nominally 180 cells are not and hence simply will not deliver 700 watts even under Standard Test Conditions let alone real conditions (with the possible exception for brief periods when it’s really cold out and there are “edge of cloud” episodes!)

• Alain Chuzel

October 7, 2021 at 7:19 am

(sorry!)

• Romeo Salcedo

October 7, 2021 at 10:58 am

was that a regular sized parking spot he pulled in to? If it was it might be a deal breaker for me.

• Romeo Salcedo

October 7, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Aptera wheel to wheel is 88 inches. From the photo when the doors are open it looks wider than the wheels. Will it touch the vehicles parked alongside it?

• Peter Jorgensen

October 7, 2021 at 12:08 pm

I’ve heard the parking spots at aptera are really tiny and the Teslas don’t really fit well either.

This is to scale. It fits the same as a Model X.

• Pistonboy Delux

October 8, 2021 at 4:50 pm

Thanks Peter Jorgensen. Your post completely calms my anxiety.

Your post is of more value than all others.

• John Wiley

October 7, 2021 at 9:26 pm

The doors reach out about 8 inches outside of the wheel pants, so the vehicle has about a 96″ wingspan.

• Leonard Nowak

October 7, 2021 at 4:07 pm

I have a mid size truck with a width ( to the outside outside view mirrors ) of 91”

That truck has always fit between the parking lines. Sure , like any vehicle when you open the doors they swing “over the line “

All my homes with two bay garage never allowed me to open both vehicles’ doors fully.

I have always parked my cars, in these garages in such a way when the driver side had the biggest swing ( I had always let my passenger(s) exit before pulling in unless it was pouring rain)

I never had a winged door vehicle, so just another adjustment… I suppose

I only parked in one end spot at Aptera with my truck, so don’t recall the “spots” ….if the spot in questions in the video is even there, as they were recording the Aptera in several places

• kerbe2705

October 8, 2021 at 6:26 pm

No, it was not a regular sized parking spot: US parking spots are between 96 and 108″ in width – between the painted lines, not including them – and Aptera is 88″ wide.

• Joey Lao

October 9, 2021 at 11:22 am

Did anyone else notice the guy lying in the back as it’s going down the road? 😀

https://youtu.be/69_iKArvJBk?t=139

• John Malcom

October 9, 2021 at 12:08 pm

photographer for the review person.

• Pistonboy Delux

October 9, 2021 at 1:03 pm

The guy costs extra. He does not come standard with the vehicle.

• Riley -_-

October 9, 2021 at 1:31 pm

I hope they at least have the pet kit installed it should work with interns as well.

• Carl Knapp

October 9, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Funny and a good catch. This is B-roll footage from Aptera Motor’s Sol Youtube intro released on June 8th (0:33 seconds). In the present video, there is a suction cup camera mount on the back rear panel when Kristen and her photographer are in the vehicle.

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now