Is an Aptera the EV for your RV?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is an Aptera the EV for your RV?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Is an Aptera the EV for your RV?

• Is an Aptera the EV for your RV?

• Ray Holan

October 15, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I don’t own an RV and there may not be many prospective Aptera owners that do. However, I notice that many RV owners tow a spare ICE vehicle behind their diesel pusher motorhome. A sub 2,000 lb. Aptera would be a great spare vehicle. The light weight would not noticeably penalize the 8 mpg fuel consumption of a typical motorhome.

Here’s a trailer for a three-wheeler with a 1,771 lb load capacity:

https://stingertrailer.com/product/stinger-for-can-am-spyder/

Unfortunately, it’s too small to fit an Aptera. Regardless, I’m sure someone with welding and engineering skills could come up with a variation of this that would accommodate an Aptera. Then too, a properly designed towbar for the RV to tow the Aptera might be a more elegant solution.

• Paul Schultz

October 15, 2021 at 8:17 pm

I’ve had the same thought and think the Aptera would be an excellent vehicle to tow behind an RV. I could see using a front-wheel tow dolly with a front-wheel-drive Aptera. The rear wheel would be on the road and rolling freely. A tow dolly is a much lighter trailer but still provides protection to the front-wheel-drive motors of the Aptera.

• Ray Holan

October 16, 2021 at 4:53 am

Hi, Paul. Thanks for your comments. I wondered about the wear and tear on the single rear wheel of the Aptera if the vehicle were to be towed with a tow bar keeping the two front wheels off the ground. Certainly would not seem to be a problem with the FWD model. Do you think towing an AWD model would do any damage to the hub motor? I’m inclined to think it would be OK.

• Curtis Cibinel

October 16, 2021 at 5:50 pm

If it’s awd you would need a flatbed trailer. You can’t generally roll drive wheels on an ev when towing. The axial Flux motors might be different but I doubt it

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now