internet connected?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions internet connected?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions internet connected?

• internet connected?

Llewellyn Evans updated 2 weeks ago 12 Members · 23 Posts
  • Jacob Bunce

November 14, 2021 at 10:56 am

Does the car have internet connectivity? (ie cellular modem)

If yes, can it be removed or disabled?

• Joshua Rosen

November 14, 2021 at 11:11 am

Internet connectivity isn’t optional for any modern car. OTAs require an Internet connection by definition. Navigation requires connectivity and so does service. One thing they should do that Tesla doesn’t do anymore is allow OTAs over cellular. I’ve seen discussions on Tesla forums from people who can’t easily provide WiFi access to their cars, for those people being able to do updates via the cell network would be great.

• Jacob Bunce

November 14, 2021 at 5:42 pm

All of that is false. But even assuming features like navigation, etc require internet connectivity, I don’t need or want those features, which leads to my second question… can it be removed or disabled?

I must assume the car can function without connectivity. For example, if driving through a dead zone. Therefore I would simply want to ensure it is always disconnected.

Let’s be clear… I am mainly concerned about forced, factory installed, cellular data service in the car. Wifi is something else entirely and doesn’t bother me as much because I can (presumably) just not select any networks.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 7:37 am

Yep, Teslas just don’t get updates or anything when in a dead zone – but they still function fine. I’d also like to be able to disable it, although I may not if I want to use the app to pre-heat the car with my phone. Of course my phone is listening too so…

• Raj Giandeep

November 14, 2021 at 6:34 pm

I would hope you could download maps to be offline for the states you plan or routinely travel in. I don’t wan to pay for another data plan or use data for the car regularly. Perhaps a maker series in the future would cover this.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 14, 2021 at 7:52 pm

I would hope that if we don’t have cellular for OTA and navigation that they can use a cellphone for this. As much as they are trying to be minimal I think Joshua is correct that it would be very odd not to have it. Modern cars are generally highly connected devices so if they avoid the use of direct cellular they will need to put substantial design effort into ensuring a good experience to download maps and check for OTA updates.

• Russell Fauver

November 14, 2021 at 8:36 pm

I hope connectivity is optional. With so many things tracking, monitoring, listening, I don’t want to add yet another to the list of things that I can’t have nearby when I want to have a private conversation. While we’re on the subject of options, I’d like the self driving hardware to be optional too.

• George Hughes

November 15, 2021 at 1:33 pm

I don’t think the operant word is ‘optional;’ rather I would suggest ‘switchable’ … i.e. you can turn it on or off.

I know that early Leaf’s had level 2 connectivity that resulted in some being upgraded to cellular level 3. hope that cellular connection directly to the car, if it is not handled through one’s personal cell phone (I can turn it off) it can be switchable … i.e. it can be turned on or off.

That said, most modern cars allow use of the users smart phone for may of the customized functions and have for close to a decade. Even my early production Spark EV (registered in Feb, 2013 in Detroit) could integrate with a spotify and its custom nav program ‘bringo.’ Of course, as a GM auto it has onstar but I ignore it.

The big tech idea of following everyone and burrowing up their digital butts began with the smart phone and now, for those who use them, you are digitally captured by most everyone in big tech – your privacy be damned.

I think if you’re concerned about privacy, car manufacturers are among those seeking to cash in, in general, on the privatized surveillance state that profits from predictive gaming.

But if we are going to do anything about privacy, we’re going to have to set our sights higher than the automakers.

I don’t expect Aptera to throw themselves on the privacy at all costs band wagon. I would hope simply they provide a switch to disable the constant surveillance if that is even possible.

• Joshua Rosen

November 15, 2021 at 10:35 am

Internet connectivity can’t be optional, you need OTAs and they need to be able to access the diagnostic information on the car. When the car first starts shipping the software isn’t even going to be half baked, it’s going to be raw batter, it will need to be updated frequently. If you have a problem with the car you aren’t going to be able to take it to a dealer because they won’t have any. Their support is going to look at the logs in the car to see what’s going on, they need to do that remotely and that means Internet access.

• Jacob Bunce

November 15, 2021 at 10:55 am

It’s a recursive and inane distinction. As if to say, software requires internet delivery if it requires internet delivery. That is not strictly necessary for software. You can do manual installs with other delivery methods. It all depends on the software architecture and deployment model.

I am a computer scientist, programmer, and cyber security engineer. You have just stated the precise reason why I don’t want internet connectivity:

“When the car first starts shipping the software isn’t even going to be half baked, it’s going to be raw batter, it will need to be updated frequently.”

What you are essentially describing here is a CI/CD software model. In the industry, this model is basically an excuse for bad quality software. I don’t want bad software connected to the internet for security reasons (especially when that software can control my vehicle).

Recognizing the dire state of the software industry, and the fact that these issues can’t be avoided, I choose not to use software features whenever possible. That means no self-driving, navigation, cloud music, etc.

The fundamental point here is that the car can function in the middle of the desert with no cell service. That is exactly the level of software functionality I want. Nothing more.

Worst case, maybe I can install a Faraday layer inside the shell.

• Joshua Rosen

November 15, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Name a consumer system that isn’t getting frequent updates to fix bugs and add functionality. Your phone gets updates once a month, Linux systems get updates every few weeks as does Windows, Tesla’s get an updates every couple of weeks. I’ve been working on a system that controls the trades to stock markets, almost all high speed trades around the world go through our box. Both the hardware and software is constantly being updated to add new functionality that’s requested by the banks or to fix bugs. The only kind of systems that aren’t updated on a frequent basis are medical and defense.

Doing manual installs on a consumer product in 2021 is ridiculous. Tesla has been doing it by OTA since they started shipping now all of the legacy companies are following.

• Jacob Bunce

November 15, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Name a consumer system that isn’t getting frequent updates to fix bugs and add functionality.

My 2014 Honda Civic has never received a software update. It seems to drive fine. You know what would be nice though… an electric drive train.

I think we are off topic. But I approve of you continuing to argue that software sucks. That is a soapbox of mine and is an underlying reason why I don’t want internet in my car.

• Llewellyn Evans

November 22, 2021 at 12:49 am

Software updates are a means to replace the bugs you know about with bugs you don’t know about.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 15, 2021 at 4:14 pm

can update by have open source downloadable, so people can check for malware, and everyone uses teh same download so there no possible targeting specific customer.

• Riley -_-

November 15, 2021 at 7:36 pm

I am sure it will be easy to find and remove the data antenna. Hopefully it isn’t the same antenna that supplies radio. I understand the argument for privacy and freedom. There is also an argument for important updates for safety. Were all adults and understand the risks.

• kerbe2705

November 15, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Aptera won’t have a radio: They’ve made it very clear that they expect drivers to connect their smartphones to the infotainment system via Bluetooth for audio programming. It also won’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto – they expect drivers to use the built-in navigation system.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 15, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Carplay and android auto they have mentioned but any idea where they said no radio (ie Q&A video, faq)? Personally I’m fine with no radio but I definitely know many people will have an issue with that. Have any other vehicles done away with the traditional radio?

• Llewellyn Evans

November 22, 2021 at 12:31 am

Removing the antenna from a receiver is ok, but it is “bad” to remove it from a transmitter. All that power that was going to be sending radio signals ends up as heat in the transmitter. Sooner or later it makes the magic blue smoke.

RF nerds please correct me if I am wrong.

• Robert Klasson

November 15, 2021 at 10:58 pm

If they want to sell the car in the EU, I think they would have to make it possible to block at least upload of data from the car due to GDPR. In fact, you’d probably have to ask the user before enabling upload, since the way I interpret GDPR, written consent is required before collecting and storing any personal data unless required for billing and such. They could probably get around it for the first owner by making it part of the purchase contract, but there is no way they could make it stick if the car was sold to a second owner.

Personally, I’d like a connected car, but I’d also like to be in control of who has digital access to the car.

• Russell Fauver

November 19, 2021 at 7:42 pm

In this day of mass surveillance and censorship, I don’t want a vehicle that can be driven by computer and controlled with voice commands or apps. I remember earlier this year when Google and Apple removed the Parler app from their sites and then I watched Amazon web services delete Parler from the internet completely, all due to their perception of something that might have happened on Parler’s social media site. While I may not agree with all things being said on all the different social media sites, I surely disagree with an entire platform being erased without investigation or conviction of a crime. So what happens if I’m in a fully connected self driving vehicle and Amazon Alexa decides that my private conversation does not agree with its political/social standards? Will the car take me somewhere that I don’t want to go? Maybe drive me into harms way? Maybe the algorithm will decide that I should be censored or deleted for something it thinks I said. Aw, poor Russell drove himself off a cliff. I know, it sounds like tinfoil hat stuff but if the hardware and software are installed then it is possible. And would the public ever know if the crash was caused by an outside actor or would it just get written off as an accident or suicide? We give big data corporations the power to do things for us, ‘Hey Google, drive me home’ and then we hope that they don’t abuse that power. I prefer those things are not installed in my vehicle, I don’t want to bet my life on big tech’s perceived goodness. And my phone has taught me that setting the software to ‘off’ does not necessarily mean it’s not listening and tracking. So it’s not a stretch to think that selecting ‘off’ from the menu of a self driving vehicle might not fully disable those functions.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 19, 2021 at 8:17 pm

thats why open sourcing the self driving software is worth it, everyone uses it lot of programmers can review it randomly just in case it sabotaged in favor for some private software. the microphone camera can have physical cover over it aftermarket to adapt to hardware, but people need to demand to be able to see it all. infotainment can be replaced with users phone, so one less device to put deafener on. https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/all-about-the-alpha-interiors/

same idea with right to repair. although repairng electric maybe possible (think it was rich rebuilds on youtube for ex.) i imagine freepiston would make it more repair friendly by not needing much of a battery if any at all with capacitor, but it can benefit from one as regen braking, maybe at least serve as unusual use range extender, maybe for different fuels too as its much more controlled combustion environment with changing piston length etc similar to nissan inline 4 in the infinity. its also arguably great balance between spending away battery material from beta and not very applied battery recycling, grid overload problem is solved, and itd be lot less weight for road maintaince costs in taxes and emissions. nissan nismo note E power already rather light weight with a less radical system. dont know but maybe “mental outlaw” on youtube

electric drive is probably here to stay but energy storage can change from efuels to hydrogen to new electric etc.

https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/the-right-to-repair-movement-if-you-dont-know-now-you-know-the-daily-show/

All about the Alpha interiors

• Jacob Bunce

November 21, 2021 at 4:11 pm
    • Joshua Rosen

November 21, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Every Tesla comes with a key card that fits in your wallet. It’s RFID so there is no battery to wear out unlike a key fob. The phone is an incredibly easy way to access the car, you walk up and the car unlocks and when you walk away it automatically locks. However phones aren’t completely reliable, the battery can run down for example. Everybody knows this which is why you would always carry the key card with you. Everybody has to have some place where they carry their drivers license, you keep the key card in the same place. I don’t believe that any Tesla drivers were stranded because of a server outage, all that would happen is that you won’t be able to remotely precondition the car or open or close the windows but you can always get in and drive the car with your key card.

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now