Calculate How Much Solar to Charge an EV

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Calculate How Much Solar to Charge an EV

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Calculate How Much Solar to Charge an EV

• Calculate How Much Solar to Charge an EV

• Ray Holan

November 7, 2021 at 12:21 pm

This is a short video that includes a rough equation for calculating what size system of solar panels will charge an EV. The example shown is for a Tesla Model 3 but an Aptera’s 100 watts/mile demands can be plugged into the formula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfN4yumbV4

• Joel Smith

November 7, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Having admittedly just scanned through what all the video has to say, the biggest omission seems to be a failure to speak to seasonal variations. Average insolation per year tells you little about how much more than you know what to do with, you will generate mid summer versus the weeks or months long stretches when you may be generating virtually nothing mid winter.

My ground mount PV array in the American Pacific Northwest may generate 50kWh a day mid summer but then go weeks at a stretch never cresting over 10kWh (and often only 2 or 3) a day during the winter months.

The average only works if you are lucky enough to have a local utility that lets you effectively bank your summer surplus on the grid so that you can draw down those kWh credits during the winter. That is my good fortune so I currently provide about 60% of my driving kWh from my PV array. Again that’s a yearly value for the stand alone PV and would not be even close to true daily or even weekly for three or four months without the grid tie.

Even setting aside offsets from the Aptera’s built in PV, I will be able to provide (in the above mentioned round about way) 100% of what the Aptera would need so I am still eager to get mine.

• Ray Holan

November 7, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Absolutely agree on the omission in the video. I have a 6.7KW system on my home that produced 650kWh in August, 535 in September, but only 303 in October. Your mileage may vary.

• Charles Lewis

November 15, 2021 at 12:22 pm

That’s interesting. But how much current can the Aptera take while charging. Is it AC or DC power or either.

• Ray Holan

November 15, 2021 at 2:09 pm

I believe AC charging only, no DC fast charging. An onboard charger with a 3.7 kW capacity was mentioned somewhere else on the forum as standard Aptera equipment.

Others may want to weigh in on this. Don’t want to spread bad intel.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 16, 2021 at 7:37 am

It darn well better have DC fast charging! That’s a big deal!

If it comes with a 3.7 kw onboard charger I’m going to try to figure out a way to upgrade it to 7.7kw or 11kw.
        50kw DCFC is planned.

• Robert Klasson

November 16, 2021 at 1:18 am

CCS DC fast charging up to about 50 kW is planned for the Aptera. Converting solar to CCS DC standard is probably more expensive than converting to regular AC though.

• Ray Holan

November 16, 2021 at 6:45 am

Thanks for the correction on the DC charging, Robert.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now