Instant plugin (Amazon Alexa) smart module for ONLY 20 bucks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Instant plugin (Amazon Alexa) smart module for ONLY 20 bucks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Instant plugin (Amazon Alexa) smart module for ONLY 20 bucks

• Instant plugin (Amazon Alexa) smart module for ONLY 20 bucks

Kenneth Bolinsky updated 1 week ago 6 Members · 20 Posts
  • Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 10:45 am

I mentioned this before and in another thread. Other suggestions too including FB Portal (also Amazon Alexa enabled) if a MINI LED projector installed to display in rear of tent (inside or out view). Think of how this would be shared INCLUDING socially.

Amazon’s Echo Auto is back to $20, one of its lowest prices. Instantly & effectively “smart connect” your Aptera (or other). Should come standard on the Aptera. Easy tech.

INFO: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/amazons-echo-auto-back-20/

Direct Link: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B078YNK7FC

• Fanfare 100

September 8, 2021 at 11:30 am

Next: “Hey Alexa! Drive my hubby home!” 😆

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Turn on house lights, turn off security system or open garage. So many options are possible. The “Alexa drive me home”, not yet automated BUT could help you with turn by turn NAVIGATION etc.

Add “SKILLS”.

Utilize the power and computing of one’s phone whilst cradled & charging. A no BRAINER on a bunch of potential & savings if thinking that way.

Efficiency is…?

• John Malcom

September 8, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Many enthusiasts requested Apple Car Play or Android Auto going back to the previous forum posts. Of course these are the dominant apps for autos with nearly everyone having an iPhone or Android phone. Some surveys show these apps preferred over the manufacturers infotainment systems. The answer from Aptera was no, only Blue Tooth connection, at least for the first Aptera iteration. With Blue Tooth I believe you can connect the Echo Auto if needed or wanted in an Aptera . I have the Alexa App on my iPhone so no need for another Echo device when I am in the car if for some reason I want to access Alexa. For those that prefer Android Auto, I think they may be out of luck now and in the future as I heard that Google will stop supporting their auto app.

As for a projector, I suspect very low demand and perhaps best as a third party product or DYI for those interested as there have been no requests for such a device in either this or the former forum and the camping option is a subset of the overall demand for an Aptera.

Perhaps some analysis to validate the value proposition of these ideas might be useful to help Aptera Management assess them with respect to other recommendations for enhancement and set an appropriate priority for implementation

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 9, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Google is discontinuing the discrete Android Auto app as everything it does is already either built into Android phones or is handled by Android Assistant. I believe the app was only necessary on phones running very early iterations of Android.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 4:05 pm

What I’ve suggested is handled by Bluetooth. Never mentioned Apple nor Android Auto.

Not everyone cares that you can carry your surf board but it’s showing a lifestyle. That camping and tech lifestyle can coexist. My suggestion are inexpensive and off the shelf for the most part.

Having Alexa on your phone alone kinda misses the point; purposeful HANDS Free & intelligence. It requires pairing to your phone.

BTW my home is fully automated with Control4. You don’t need that for home automation with Alexa necessarily but the learned skills enables it and other.

Regarding the upgrade to FB… Portal (also Alexa enabled):

https://portal.facebook.com/ca/products/portal-tv/ (on sale now for about $100.00 USD or 129.00 CDN )

Imagine the communication and sharing of experiences and travels from your Aptera. The marketing alone is worthwhile let alone the functionality while in the back or watching with friends outside with doors open adding to the theater sound.

Here’s one example, there are others both cheaper and also pricier. These are items that essentially only require inventory and not a negative. Just a little adaptive thought in advance of the offering.

ViewSonic M2 Portable Smart 1080p Wi-Fi Projector with Harman Kardon Bluetooth Speakers USB Type C, HDR and Screen Mirroring https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VN84X19/

• John Malcom

September 8, 2021 at 6:39 pm

As in our previous discussions, the strategy for marketing Aptera is not life style, but values based. Hopefully you viewed the video where Sarah was explaining the strength of that approach. This is the approach selected by the CO-CEOs. But for arguments sake lets look at this from the life style perspective. Here is some data from research on the matter

– 80% of the mobile phone market is Android based; 20% is iPhone or other; 0% is Echo/Alexa based (Not a mobile phone OS)

– 23% of new car buyers say they “Must have” Apple Car Play and 56% say they are “Interested” in Apple Car Play

– 30% of new car buyers say they “Must have” Android Auto

– 52% of U.S. and 62% of Europeans support Android Auto

– The new Ford Lightning Pickup will have Apple Car Play

– 0% of new car buyers are interested in Alexa in their new car. HOWEVER, here is a bright spot for Alexa/Amazon, major car makers are interested in and are imbedding some Alexa functionality in the vehicles software.

So life style….. nobody can argue that mobile phones are not a life style fixture in our lives with brand loyalty almost religious. Mostly we want to be able to use our Apps anywhere even in the car. Thus, the life style enthusiasm for Apple Car Play and Android Auto. What we see on the phone shows up on the screen in our car.

Of course not so with the Alexa Auto Device. HOWEVEVER again, if someone wants Alexa, in their Aptera, the team has made sure they can have it through the Bluetooth connection. But, since they are comparatively such a small minority, there is no reason for Aptera to go to any extra effort or expense to provide “Alexa” with an Aptera. The marketing draw of such an offer would be small at best.

I am not sure why Aptera decided not to include Apple Car Play or Android Auto with an Aptera, but I trust their insight and decision. Speaking from my past life in applications development I am sure I would not want to perturbate my software baseline and especially less than 120 days before deliveries are to start.

You can connect Alexa using their hardware or on a phone both through Bluetooth. For the relatively few that want this capability they can buy the Alexa device and or the projector and use then in their Aptera without Aptera making any changes to integrate them and provide them directly

• Ronster

September 9, 2021 at 1:30 pm

(Alexa & Related) 2022 (Chevy) updates:

Every Silverado with the new interior gets two positively honkin’ displays. A 13.4-inch touchscreen runs a new version of Chevrolet’s infotainment system that sports all the usual favorites like Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa integration. However, Chevy takes a step beyond that by integrating Google directly into the hardware, letting owners access Google Maps, Google Assistant and the Google Play Store right there in the cabin.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-chevy-silverado-pickup-truck-debut/

Now I’m not saying the full meal deal, just the inexpensive 20.00 Alexa smart add that uses Bluetooth. Check weather, stream Spotify, make calls, open garage, turn on house lights, turn off security etc., etc.; tech achieved super easy & cost effectively.

The Facebook Portal addon thing (also Alexa enabled) and micro LED projector thing would be a further upgrade and suitable for the Aptera design, purpose & use (for camping in the back or when parked for sharable & interactive theater). The portal camera allows you to share and communicate your journey, scenery and setting with others (family or public) online etc.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 7:27 pm

While Elon apparently brought S3XY back don’t say lifestyle isn’t involved.

Lifestyle (& magic) ALWAYS matters and is always involved or at play. Don’t take any one way of marketing as the end all NOT to be challenged.

If success was as easy as stats, all we’d need is statisticians. BTW, what are the stats for three-wheel electric vehicles? 🤔 Anyway, I’ll leave it where I left it.

Even the dumbest of cars gets a whole lot smarter for 20 bucks. I doubt that you are using Alexa to any of its full potential. Waste the 20.

Amazon Alexa accounted for ~62% of the worldwide digital assistant market share. (Statista)

Stay outside the box. Open your mind. Don’t limit yourself or your thinking. Don’t bias or restrict your thinking in order to follow some formula. Put things into proper context of experience with; including the potential thereof.

The truth will set you FREE!

1:15

InShot_20210908_211512550

1:15

• John Malcom

September 8, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Three questions. How many of those echoes are in cars? How many display apps on vehicle screens? How many people ask for Alexa when purchasing a vehicle?

Those that want Alexa (For audio only) can have it through Bluetooth in the currently configured Aptera Nothing needs to be done by Aptera for them to have it other than having their phone connected to their mobile carrier. Simple (Always the best) solution with no added expense, no software changes needed, and no production schedule impact.

The idea can go on the list for consideration with other requested enhancements and vetted with engineering, marketing, finance, and execs. Let it stand on its merits in competition with all other good ideas.

This is a non issue. If Aptera a owners want Alexa They can have it

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 10:55 pm

I’m done 👍.

P..S. Alexa doesn’t display apps on car screen. I’m also neither talking about Android Auto nor am I Apple CarPlay just so we are “somewhat” on the same page.

Regarding “software” development or product interruptions of some sort, how does that apply?

What “stats” do YOU have on three wheel, solar electric vehicles again? What stats in determining their viability &/or demand?

Nevermind. I got bored. LOL. CHEERS!

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Some “Amusing STATS & FACTS” on Amazon’s Alexa (if so inclined, J.M.):

Amazon Alexa accounted for ~62% of the worldwide digital assistant market share in 2017, as per Alexa sales statistics.

In 2019, Amazon led the smart speaker market, shipping 10.4 million units worldwide.January 2016, Alexa only had 130 skills; three years later, her skills surpassed the 100,000-mark.

Alexa is known to have a great sense of humor and can amuse you with short stories, jokes, and interesting trivia.

Alexa can scare burglars off when the Echo is in the “Away” mode.

Total Alexa skills now exceed 77,000 in the US. The company has indicated a focus in recent years on the number of quality skills over quantity.

The number of smart speaker owners in the US is set to reach 66.4 million; that’s 26.2% of the country’s population. (TechCrunch)

Amazon led the smart speaker sales with a 67% market share, which indicates that the smart speaker fever among US consumers is in full swing. Experts believe that Amazon Echo and Alexa will continue to dominate the US market through 2021. (TechCrunch)

Amazon sold over 100 million Alexa devices in 2018 alone. (CNET)

In 2019, Amazon led the smart speaker market, shipping 10.4 million units worldwide, as revealed by Amazon Echo sales. (Android Central).

Now a stat revealing future Alexa market share: around 66.3 million US households are expected to own smart speakers by the end of 2022. (voicebot.ai)

As of February 2018, 24% of Americans aged 18–29 years own an Amazon Echo smart speaker, whereas only 10% of total device owners are 55- to 64-year-olds. (Statista)

64% of men use their Alexa-enabled device multiple times a day. (VentureBeat)

Alexa’s strongest suit is playing audio and music, garnering an average of 4.19 stars out of five. (Statista)

Most people who own smart speakers such as Amazon Echo or Google Home use it to listen to music. (MSNBC)

How many people use Alexa?

Amazon has yet to reveal the official count of Alexa-enabled device owners. Nevertheless, reports show that over 100 million Alexa devices have been sold in 2018 alone; Amazon Echo Dot (3rd Gen) is the #1 best-seller Alexa speaker to date.

Further reading (&/or search yourselves). In the end, it’s a little background & is accurate enough for purposes posted:

https://policyadvice.net/insurance/insights/amazon-alexa-statistics/

• Ronster

September 9, 2021 at 11:41 am

I (we all) wish I/we had his money & clout. LOL.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 9, 2021 at 3:02 pm

can speaker system be controlled over bluetooth with voice command app? if so we may not need apple android car app so much, maybe a usb /bluetooth aftermarket microphone can be used if users phone microphone doesnt work in high wind noise or speaker audio playing. maybe audio can be quieted automatically when using code word to activate mic so it listens to user and does things when user wants, not when user accidently says code words when talking about something else. such code words are set by user, a aptera app would allow the interface stuff connect users phone or whatever to car computer. aftermarket microphone to make voice command practial for users with bad quality microphone in their phone, which can be promoted by aptera as a option. aptera also get payed for advertising such 3rd party products that enhance the car and in some cases like this one, the device can be used outside the car which would be a reminder of the car and 3rd party with branding.

aptera app could also be as described in old forum in that big thread about interior interface, for more complex tasks like setting up preset like playlist, maybe seat position etc. users phone ID is a way to automatically set preset of different people assuming they own their own phones. the app design compensates for users phone/device presumably not being a big screen by grouping functions into pages. one page would be stuff commonly toggled while driving like audio volume, AC heater temp, ventilation on/off, in one full screen page display, then grouping complex tasks like audio track presets and radio channel in another page or 2. each group is accessed by user sliding downward like apple phones do when it comes to seeing notifications. the screen fixates on each group with a finger swipe but also resists scrolling down screen with swipes that dont cover much screen distance, so that user doesnt have to be careful with how much he scrolls between groups, he just swipes a couple inches on any part of the screen with no toggle graphics. toggle graphics should be large as possible so one doesnt have to be careful with placing finger on right places especially as car shakes going over road bumps.

voice command may not work in noisy environment (speaker audio, occupants like dog being loud, wind noise etc) there are ways of destroying sound with speakers (which maybe less range consuming than weight of normal anti sound stuff) and there is voice recognition software (which might not work well enough in discriminating between voices). instead of user setting up voice recognition command to make it start listening for commands, there could be a toggle graphic on screen. if users suspect microphone data can be used to spy on them or whatever, they could do what they normally do with their device and not use it.

if those things become problem enough to make enough demand for alternative to touch screen, the same thread in old forum had idea of optional physical knobs with user programmable functions, by replicating users touch screen movements at the pixel level by movement of a small conductive strip across screen, and the movement is actuated by knob. that way knob doesn’t need electronics in it, and no wiring knobs switch into aptera computer. strip should be small to minimize how much screen surface area is being taken up. strip is clipped onto users device and the knob is held by a accessory holder with clamps onto a structural support bar that replaces the dashboard chunk of plastic. the clamp holds onto bar with screws, which can have knobs bolted in so screw driver is not needed to change setup, although its probably not worth adding knob assuming changes dont happen often. this bar should be not round, too make the clamp grip the accessory in place without being moved around with a accidental push. this can be used for other accessories such as cup holder (which can be a portable humidifier holder for those who need it), maybe speaker if one doesnt want built in speakers. it also gives a minimalistic and racecar look, being able to see the airbag devices etc.

only reason for built in speaker would be for theatre like high quality sound representation and heavy base, which is heavy expensive system requiring addition of structural shapes for taming soundwaves in cabin. such should only be a option because users phone speakers, earbud, portable speaker is enough for most people which can be held in place with accessory holder.

• John Malcom

September 9, 2021 at 4:13 pm

As has been pointed out in several places in this thread, the Alexa Auto, or any other devise that can use Bluetooth, can be used in an Aptera. The Alexa Auto device is cheap. If someone wants to use it they can purchase and easily install in their Aptera. No action is needed on the part of Aptera to support using Alexa in an Aptera.

We know that Aptera will not offer either Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

We don’t know what functionality the Aptera UI will have yet.

We know that engineering is complete on Beta (Hardware, firmware, and software base lines) and they are building Beta(s) Change will be controlled and minimal from now through a production version so what we see is what we will most likely get in production. Remember, we are under 120 days to first production delivery.

No business case has been made for the Alexa Device or any of the more commonly requested Infotainment system for inclusion in the production Aptera.

All of this discussion may be moot once we have the details of the Aptera UI and perhaps understand why the engineers and managers made the decisions they made on integrating third party functionality. Aptera may also have some pleasant surprises for us.

Let’s be patient and wait and see.

• Ronster

September 9, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Patiently being patient.

I’m gonna catch Netflix lying in the back projected onto the zippered rear panel or I’ll reverse the image when sitting outside on the beach with friends, side doors open.

I may even do a face to face, two-way call during my 1000mi road trips over the big screen or stream something (as simple as my scenic view) publicly to the world.

Bonus, your phone doubles as a remote control (when camping in the back &/or don’t want to use voice control, &/or watching, listening or interacting from outside.)

Never underestimate the “COOL FACTOR”. Often it is the reimagination of something existing; reapplied ie. re-envisioned. Engineers need not necessarily apply. Delays need not occur. Its simple & existing; albeit not (perhaps) applied currently as described here. Also easily solves a few things for Aptera regarding voice control & other expectations. No need to invent anything here.

Easy inclusions as well as upgrable modules &/or accessories. Cha-Ching.

Either way, I’ll be doing it all even if you can’t visualize the adaptation & use of existing tech & the unique opportunities provided by this three-wheeled application.

• John Malcom

September 9, 2021 at 5:03 pm

HaHa You are a hoot!

In my previous life (As a scientist/engineer) I did research for a National Lab and for DARPA. That research was beyond bleeding edge in imagination. Things you will not hear about for a couple of decades.

Don’t disparage engineers. We want them to apply. They make the ideas real. See what the engineers did for us by building the Aptera. That “Stuff” you want to put in your Aptera, all designed and built by engineers.

Enjoy however you use your Aptera

• Ronster

September 9, 2021 at 5:13 pm

Who’s disparaging anyone. Engineer away. You made it sound all so complicated. I was describing something much less convoluted and never mentioned Android Auto nor Apple CarPlay.

You indicated all kinds of problems, delays, engineering problems, software issues and even stats 😉. You also indicate your expertise &/or stated experience. All I’m saying is “good on you”.

You also indicated you are a disciple of a certain way of looking at things ie. marketing. If there was only one answer, then the book would have one page and everyone would succeed. Open your mind beyond formulas or theory. Be an Imagineer. No one way of anything is the end all to everything. The right recipe is in the ingredients & details (refined).

Never underestimate the “Cool Factor” or the “MAGIC”.

Cheers!

• John Malcom

September 9, 2021 at 7:39 pm

A regular member just like you.

My apologies if I have offended you. I will refrain from responding to any of your posts with my personal perspective. And of course it does not officially represent Aptera’s position any more than any other members post

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now