In wheel motors and standing water – risks?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In wheel motors and standing water – risks?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions In wheel motors and standing water – risks?

• In wheel motors and standing water – risks?

Paul Schultz updated 2 weeks, 1 day ago 9 Members · 11 Posts
  • DON RASKY

November 18, 2021 at 7:20 pm

What is the risk to the in wheel motors if partially submerged? Some of the fire roads on which I would like to take the Aptera in the national forests nearby have on occasion standing/flowing water of a few inches to perhaps as much as a foot or 12 inches of water crossing the roads.

• George Hughes

November 19, 2021 at 12:19 am

Properly maintained, in-wheel motors are impervious to water and can operate under water. That capability might come in handy because is also reputed to float … much like the first VW bug.

The only caveat I’ve heard regards the water are some of the motor seals may need replacing in a regular scheduled maintenance like every 30,000 miles. They were considering extending the service interval significantly, maybe to 100,000 miles. I think the limited loads on the in-wheel motors because of the aerodynamics means the motors run cooler than in other applications extending the life of the seals.

I didn’t catch whether the problem was dust or moisture infiltration at any particular place in the motor but it is pretty intuitive that air and rolling resistance require power; the less power required to over come the resistance means the motors run cooler. Aptera is doing a great job doing that.

You can go on youtube and see videos of Teslas running through seat-high and deeper water and operating through the challenge apparently damp, but rolling under its own considerable power.

Isolating electrical circuits from what ever environment the components find themselves is something engineers generally do quite well.

• Riley -_-

November 19, 2021 at 1:05 am

from all sources aptera has given i assume It will be ok to briefly submerge but don’t leave your hub motor underwater overnight.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 19, 2021 at 1:26 am

Welcome to Abbotsford BC.

Ps: yes that is a highway overpass

• John Malcom

November 19, 2021 at 7:58 am

Hope you and the rest of the Aptera fans in BC are not to adversely impacted by this calamity.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 19, 2021 at 9:41 am

Just the usual hording tp and empty grocery shelves. Shortages are due to overreaction by idiots. Most logistics are already rerouted. Basically will be back to normal by next week. A friend needed to leave her car in Vancouver and fly back because all road links were closed but she will go get it on Sunday.

• John Malcom

November 19, 2021 at 11:28 am

Glad to hear👍

• Russell Fauver

November 19, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Why would somebody build a highway overpass in the middle of a lake? Sorry for the poor attempt at humor. Man, that’s a lot of water! Does that happen often?

• Joshua Rosen

November 19, 2021 at 6:56 am
  • Leonard Nowak

November 19, 2021 at 5:09 am

Well besides the motors at twelve inches you have the belly of the Aptera that is only about nine inches off the ground. I see seam from the belly panels on the Aptera, lots of wires and batteries in there!

Nathan had said it would float for a while too because the the foam cord shell

• Paul Schultz

November 20, 2021 at 10:03 am

Here’s an Elaphe video showing a compilation of some adverse condition testing of the motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alRUqx9UX8

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now