Aptera delivery options and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera delivery options and info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera delivery options and info

• Aptera delivery options and info

Posted by william-baker on August 13, 2021 at 6:41 pm

I was wondering. When its time, how will the deliveries be done. Will there be fleets of private contractors with flat bed trailers? Or semi car carrier with special built center wheel track spots. Any ideas. Somebody is going to be very busy organizing this.

john-malcom replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 26 Members · 41 Replies
  • 41 Replies
  • Aptera delivery options and info

john-malcom updated 4 months, 2 weeks ago 26 Members · 41 Replies
  • len

August 14, 2021 at 5:33 am

No idea. Suggested “initially” to use existing carriers like Carvana and Vroom who have the flat bed trucks, experience with their flat bed trucks??? Open flat bed delivery trucks show off your cargo! Some like closed truck beds to protect the new vehicles from the elements/debris/ hide the the precious cargo???

Transport gets more involved when they are into the ten of thousands per year????

( Credit…. I marked up this attachment below with Photofunia)

• Biker

August 14, 2021 at 9:13 am

There will likely be two different kinds of deliveries. One for the factory to regional warehouses (that was mentioned in their SEC filing) which would be in high volume (could be train, large trucks, etc) and the second to the customers, which would likely be flatbed truck or car trailer.

• john-malcom

August 14, 2021 at 10:33 am

Thanks for this research, I imagine you could pick up at the “Factory” as well at some point if you were willing to pay the state of CA for their registration I think even if you are going to use the car in another state.

Regardless of how it is done, Gabe is certainly correct in his post that this is a major enterprise and if deliveries to reservation holders will start in early 2022 work should already be underway on the selected approach(s) and arrangements and contracts/leases for support services initiated.

Perhaps in one of the upcoming monthly updates we can hear about this plan and a plan for support of “Right to repair” for early reservation holders.

It is good to know progress on engineering and development of the Aptera, but having the vehicle ready for production and produced but not able to deliver or support would be a big disappointment and a major hit on the credibility of the Aptera Company at a time when it is important to make the case with potential buyers and the auto/EV industry that Aptera has ALL of their “Stuff” together

• derek-fowler

August 15, 2021 at 9:52 pm

You guys have it easy. I’m in New Zealand so I’m wondering about international deliveries. We obviously import all our cars here. I may talk to my local ev car sales and see if they are aware of Aptera and if they can facilitate the importation. My order is 7008 and is saying delivery 2022. I thought they may do US builds first before international but if mine is still saying next year, then maybe they are sticking to the order sequence. I guess we will hear more from Aptera as we get closer to the first builds going out. I’m also hoping mine is not the first in NZ so someone else can get the regulatory wheels oiled. (Sorry about the fossil metaphor ).

• Biker

August 16, 2021 at 5:21 am

Very likely all orders have a 2022 delivery date – that is unlikely to change till well into next year. In addition to a non-US configuration, you have the added hurdle of the team designing a right hand drive version – that may take a while.

• derek-fowler

August 16, 2021 at 7:04 pm

I hope you’re wrong about the delivery dates. I believe they have quite a few international orders and there are a number of right-hand drive countries around. I thought I read or heard the right hand drive configuration was not a big hurdle to overcome. Anyway, time will tell.

• Camo

September 18, 2021 at 6:16 am

#4500 here in Australia… RHD model will be the last built I presume…. I’m expecting 2023.

• donald-kraper

August 16, 2021 at 8:05 am

Have been considering a factory delivery and driving to south florida. Would be great to meet the team members, it would be a fun trip/experience, and would probably get some good exposure for the car.

• danny-mattijetz

September 16, 2021 at 8:35 pm

I’m ready for mine now. My Leaf has been in the shop for three weeks. It needs to have a water pump replaced. I didn’t even know it had a water pump, but that’s what they said. The part has to come from Tennessee (I’m in LA). We thought the part made it to LA last week, but that was wrong. Latest info says October 4. Once in LA it gets FedEx’d to Ontario. Then a day to do the work. Maybe I’ll see the car between five and six weeks. Can I have my Aptera now please?

• Phil

September 16, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I’ll gladly fly out to San Diego to pick it up and hopefully, tour the plant as well. Then drive it back to Chicago, via Dallas, where my son and grandson will get a ride in it.

• peter-jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 11:21 am

Standard flatbed is apparently 102 inches – So Aptera will fit easily – since the wheel footprint is around 80″. Now, I don’t know if that’s the most cost effective for mass deliveries…

• kelley-winters

September 19, 2021 at 3:35 pm

I was a San Diegan for many years and totally look forward to picking up my Aptera in my former home city. In fact, I operated my open-source software venture from the Hera Hub women’s business incubator in Sorrento Valley–just a couple miles from Aptera’s office.

• bryan.bowes

January 12, 2022 at 8:21 am

I’m flying to San Diego and driving it back to Denver, that would be an awesome way to get used to her and test out the range. I got the 1K mile just for road trips and winter comfort.

• george-hughes

April 30, 2022 at 10:22 am

How one takes delivery is a popular topic with folks dreaming of a trip to Aptera’s assembly plant for pickup. That may satisfy a significant percentage of early adopters but as we all know there are few more self-centered than American consumers. If they want it, they want it now.

I was thinking about shipping completed Aptera, which we all know have three wheels arranged in a manner that makes standard car carriers – truck or train – problematic. With Aptera’s length and width, the nominal space used would actually be equal to the shipping volume of what, a F-150?

Then I looked at the Aptera, its dolphin-shaped body sparking an idea. Why not hang-’em high. Would the disorientation compromise the batteries? I don’t know but I wouldn’t think so as these are likely sealed cells and have nothing like the liquid fluid in a lead-acid battery (While some EVs do have lead-acid 12-volt batteries, I don’t imagine Aptera would use one.)

Anyway, there ought to be a way to ship the Aptera ‘vertically’ on a flat-bed train (or truck trailer) The main benefit is you might be able to pack seven or eight more Aptera on a rail car than if you parked them horizontally.

If you put it in the context of a private ‘train’ … i.e. a locomotive of some kind and five or ten rail cars most stocked with Aptera … you could make regional deliveries a “production.”

As I think about it, trucks might even work better than a train.

• gary-greenway

April 30, 2022 at 1:12 pm

I’m thinking hauling 3 cars to a given area might be cost effective. How about a wedge flatbed trailer? Can be towed by a one ton dually.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Gary Greenway.
    • george-hughes

April 30, 2022 at 5:06 pm

Perfect Gary:

I’m thinking four, maybe five Aptera could be stacked, rear raised about 45 degrees and shipped without the wheel pants installed.

What would be really cool with this setup is, considering ‘five’ Aptera on a trailer, represent at least 125 kwh of storage if not, with 40kw models, 200 kwh of stored energy.

This idea might convince the powers that be to include at least V2V connection with the idea of powering the frigging trailer, which when coupled with say a Rivian, Lightening or other aspiring electric powered pickup.

Given the success many of us anticipate regarding the brand, the idea of a dozen or so similarly powered truck and trailer combos, I would suspect a pickup from Aptera of vehicles returned under their seven day return policy would actually seem credible. My bet is someone else will consider it their lucky day if anyone returns for any reason.

Such opportunities Aptera is making.

• kerbe2705

April 30, 2022 at 7:11 pm

The Chevy Vega was shipped vertically in specially-designed train cars.

• jack-vincent

May 3, 2022 at 4:24 am

I love this thread, as for logistical delivery I like the hanging like a meat truck type and they could alternate, one facing up the other facing down knowing that there’s no need to worry about any form of battery leakage, even if there was a possibility of that scenario the affected batteries could be removed and reinstated after delivery. The RV scenario could look at hanging from the rear downward to keep the weight down low but if is would compromise the front/rear balance then a ramp on top might be feasible. If i had an RV I would be able to afford to implement a hoist setup to accommodate this. 😁

• john-cagle

August 29, 2022 at 9:10 am

I’m located in New Hampshire and am wondering if Aptera has gotten to the point where you are starting to look at delivery strategies. If strategies have been considered, I am wondering what those strategies are and if the delivery cost is included, or in addition to, the calculated purchase price.

While I am sure many people can afford to take the time to fly out to Cali for pick-up to drive their Aptera home, I personally do not count myself among them.

• Jeiko

August 29, 2022 at 9:26 am

Hi John!

I used to live in NH (now residing in Boston for school, but will be back in NH soon!). I have reserved my Aptera and wondered the same thing. Based on what I have read, the first 1,000 orders or so will be to the CA and surrounding areas. This will allow time to fine tune the production process and put into place all the necessary systems to scale up production. Once this phase is completed (I think they said through 2023), then they will start pushing orders out to surrounding markets in the US. They are also starting with the 400 mile range vehicle first, as this is the most sought after model. Given that we are on the other side of the country, I would not expect delivery until the later part of 2023 and potentially into 2024. I like to lower my expectations and am not going to expect delivery until fall 2024 at the earliest.

Happy to hear there will be another Aptera driver in New England! 😁

• BigSky

August 29, 2022 at 10:19 am

I’m also a New Englander and Jason and Joshua are spot on. I have to wait on my 60KWh Aptera until they make a bunch of 40’s focused in the California area. They need to see how they hold up on the road and test their ability to service them while also focus on manufacturing. I, personally, am not counting on getting mine until 2025 and allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if it is sooner. I don’t imagine delivery would be more than $1,500, but don’t quote me on that (I’m basing it paying for my Fiat 500e shipment from Cali). While I’m still fantisizing about a cross country trip with a visit to the factory to pick it up, I’m thinking I’d have to cough up that $1,500 if I have to come back to reality. 😉

• ray-holan

August 29, 2022 at 10:29 am

John et. al. I’m in Ohio and have been wondering about the delivery issue as well. I’m hopeful for my number coming up in Fall of 2023. I was thinking there might be a possibility of negotiating a good transportation rate with a carrier if several prospective owners could bundle their Apterae.

• Jeiko

August 29, 2022 at 11:49 am

Love to see so much representation in New England! How exciting! To dive a little deeper regarding Josh’s repair query; it has been stated that Aptera will adopt a “right to repair” philosophy when it comes to making repairs and servicing the Aptera. Should any parts be needed, shipping would be covered 100% by the company. There have been reports that QR codes will be visible around the vehicle which when scanned would direct you to parts information/troubleshooting information/repair information/etc. So, whether you want to DIY the service on your Aptera, or take it to a local mechanic; I think the company has thought it through so that having to ship the vehicle back to CA would not be required…because let’s be honest; that doesn’t make any sense. Tires are said to be standard and would be able to be serviced anywhere.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Jason Seymore.
  • john-malcom

August 30, 2022 at 1:08 am

I live in Florida. Hard to be much farther away from SD so I am not expecting an Aptera for some time if I rely on delivery to the East coast as a part of normal expansion. My reservation was made on December 7, 2020 so would be one of the first after the paradigms. Originally, the price of an Aptera included delivery. With inflation as it is, I am sure that Aptera will need to charge for delivery now or come up with a very creative scheme. My intention has always been to fly to SD, pick the Aptera up at the factory, and road trip it back with a granddaughter.

• richard-stone

July 5, 2023 at 1:41 pm

I have read that the Launch Edition cars must be picked up at the factory in Ca!

For those of us on the East Coast that is a huge burden. Are there plans to have the car shipped to the buyers destination, even if it is at their expense?

Also how is service handled after delivery? Have there been national facilities that will take on that role?

• Biker

July 5, 2023 at 5:26 pm

Delivery options for those unwilling to pick up in Carlsbad are likely to become available closer to production. Some Florida residents already have delivery estimates.

Service will be provided by either Aptera Mobile Service or other local source. Those details will also become available closer to production.

• john-malcom

July 5, 2023 at 5:36 pm

A little early to call “Unprofessional” a year out from customer production vehicles.

I think most of the Accelerator owners not in some definition of a “Local area” (I live in FL) will ship their vehicle from CA to where ever they live. Of course some will enjoy an adventurous cross country road trip and have expressed as much. i am confident that Aptera will have arrangements/process for defect remediation to support both approaches before production/distribution to owners. I have shipped vehicles across states and overseas and back and never found it onerous to arrange such myself. The accelerator participants are aware of the terms and conditions of participation in the program before making the commitment and do so anyway. So there will be 2,000 participants that understand the risks and are willing accept them.

• Mike-Mars

July 5, 2023 at 2:09 pm

I don’t think that’s the case. It is the accelerator program vehicles which need to be picked up, the launch edition vehicles are delivered normally.

• richard-stone

July 5, 2023 at 2:20 pm

For clarification, my question actually related to the “Accelerator” program, which, I thought, generated 2000 “Launch Edition” cars………in THAT program it is stated that they need to be picked up in Cal.

Anyone know why, after investing $$$ in the program they would want company investors to travel 1000s of miles to pick up the car and drive it home or will there be a process to have the car shipped?

Also how is “local” warranty service done? Is there a national store chain involved?

• Mike-Mars

July 5, 2023 at 3:58 pm

There are several reasons, firstly they actually do want many of the first customers to be local – that way, if they find a problem, then it is easier to resolve it if the customers are nearby. Secondly, they don’t yet have the infrastructure to do deliveries. So by delaying it by a couple of thousand vehicles, it gives them extra time to set it up once they have production funding. Presumably for maintenance they will contract with an existing nationwide chain.

• richard-stone

July 5, 2023 at 4:17 pm

Mike, it seems counter productive to their goal of 2000 investers…..to make it the most difficult for those that have the most invested….and asking ~$33 k plus the “stock” investment and ask….”pick up your car 2000 miles awY and drive it cross country, with no idea of service options….a bit unprofessional and that has kept me from an investment.

• Mike-Mars

July 6, 2023 at 1:08 am

There’s nothing new or surprising about this clause – it was front & centre when the accelerator program was launched. Even before the accelerator program, they made it very clear that they wanted to supply local customers first due to the obvious risks. It’s strange to be having this same conversation again after 6 months.

• Drew

December 1, 2023 at 9:21 am

I live in North Carolina and really need an Aptera. I want to move up the list but there’s no way I can travel to CA to get the car. Can anything be done? Why can’t it be delivered?

• bruce-mengler

December 1, 2023 at 10:58 am

Your problem can easily be solved by using money as the lubricant.
      I am retired & live less than 15 miles from the Carlsbad assembly building.
      With a Power of Attorney from you to me, I can take delivery & see that it gets loaded onto a truck that can deliver the Aptera to you in North Carolina.

• john-malcom

December 2, 2023 at 8:57 am

I suspect you will be a busy man! Hope you can get compensated for your service.

• john-malcom

December 2, 2023 at 9:01 am

Second thought question. Do you have an idea of how we will need to handle taxes/tags etc. under CA law if we did what you suggested? Can it go directly on a truck with out tags or tax and then pay those at the destination state?

• bruce-mengler

December 2, 2023 at 10:14 am

I am not a lawyer & don’t claim to provide binding legal advice. I don’t know if out of state residents will be required to pay CA Sales tax or if you can “reclaim” any such payment. It is my understanding that if the Aptera is never driven on any state of California public road & loaded directly onto a truck or trailer then no fee is due to CA Department of Motor Vehicles. CA DMV can do “short term” registration for as little as 1 day up to a couple of weeks to avoid paying a full year registration fee as a CA resident would pay.

• ROMAD

December 2, 2023 at 10:32 am

AZ will at least count any sales/use taxes paid to CA as a credit against those due in AZ. So for me the rate in Prescott would be 8.35% but the Carlsbad rate is 7.75% so I would owe 0.60% when registered in AZ.

• john-malcom

December 2, 2023 at 11:41 am

Thanks. That sounds like a reasonable way for out of state customers to ship their vehicle if they can’t come to pick it up for some reason

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.